Standing Rock Deer tags

Fordboy

Will be my first time hunting there as well. A mule deer has always been on my bucket list and with having kids now tougher to get away. Have been applying out west for 4 years and this was a quicker way to have a chance at a tag. Plus get to go visit my brother in law for a few days

TripleSK

Established Member
Will be my first time hunting there as well. A mule deer has always been on my bucket list and with having kids now tougher to get away. Have been applying out west for 4 years and this was a quicker way to have a chance at a tag. Plus get to go visit my brother in law for a few days

Are you going by yourself out this year or having a buddy or two?

TripleSK

Established Member
Awesome. Anyone willing to tell how it is down there? What you’re expected to see in some areas? I understand it’s a big chunk of land, but just curious on size of deer and hunting pressure?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Size of deer depends hunting pressure depends on were you are. Internet scouting only goes so far. To get real answers will have to put some time in and check for your self. People who shoot the big deer are usually the ones who are looking year round and invest alot of sweat equity and time. Or they hire someone to do it for them.

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
If any fines onx will pay if it is there mistake.

They put lots in walk in down here when they owned land.

They all have let me hunt a fair amount

Bis lets people on Rudy puckers up pretty fast when I've ever asked to deer hunt

701spot&stalk

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome. Anyone willing to tell how it is down there? What you’re expected to see in some areas? I understand it’s a big chunk of land, but just curious on size of deer and hunting pressure?

i been scouting for a good month or so and numbers look about like usual(good in places and zilch in others). with tribal season starting last weeekend im sure critters have been run all over the place by now. be prepared for locals stopping you and asking what your doing there..... have permission to pass over any private to get to the tribal lands for sure.... get out of your truck and put on some miles on and enjoy and remember its not about killing a giant that some one has told you about or shown you a picture of. oh and yes you will see plenty of others hunting(locals and outta staters:mad:)... and im sure i dont need to tell you this, but dont just drive all over like you see others doing. most of there trails are not legal trails and if the warden(they pretty much make there rules as they want it seems like) wants to be a azz you will lose in court if caught on them.

TripleSK

Established Member
i been scouting for a good month or so and numbers look about like usual(good in places and zilch in others). with tribal season starting last weeekend im sure critters have been run all over the place by now. be prepared for locals stopping you and asking what your doing there..... have permission to pass over any private to get to the tribal lands for sure.... get out of your truck and put on some miles on and enjoy and remember its not about killing a giant that some one has told you about or shown you a picture of. oh and yes you will see plenty of others hunting(locals and outta staters:mad:)... and im sure i dont need to tell you this, but dont just drive all over like you see others doing. most of there trails are not legal trails and if the warden(they pretty much make there rules as they want it seems like) wants to be a azz you will lose in court if caught on them.

Wow, sounds like a lot of negative things down there you just said. Still puzzled with the fact that hunters still hunt down there after all those things you listed seem to be big problems. What makes a guy like yourself hunt down there if it’s that shitty of a deal ya know?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's pretty much like deer hunting during state season. I see all the same things down here I just pay 40 bucks vs 400 to watch it

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
No its nothing like hunting during regular season unless your talking the 16 1/2 day overlap with state season or possibly hanging out along the grand and even then that would be dramatically stretching it. I might see a couple groups over a large area just before or after state season in a morning with four being a noteworthy busy day. Most days I see maybe one and that's most often at a couple miles through the spotting scope well glassing an area. Last year was definitely a down year for overall size of the bucks but a significant rise in numbers. Just keep in mind big mules are down there but they tend to be a bitch to find until the week after the state season closes and odds are you will be more likely to tangle with a big whitetail then a big mule and they are so jumbled up down there you are likely to bust out whitetails where you expected mules and vice versa. And just remember the biggest advantage that that tag has its not that you can shoot a mule deer or Whitetail but that fact that you can hunt for so goddamn long. It makes the hunt a far more enjoyable time and allows you to back out of areas if there is too much hunting pressure especially going through the State season and realize they will be gone soon enough and the dear will calm down and change behavior rapidly once the state seasons ends.... although this year with the late season it might be a little different. Also keep in mind the mules rut is around 10 days later then the whites so that works very much into your hands with a rez tag.

Last edited:

701spot&stalk

Founding Member
Founding Member
i grew up there is the reason and still have plenty of private land to hunt(for now). nothings like coming home to hunt for 16.5 days, even though things have changed alot since i was a kid. every thing i said above is just stuff i see, hear or deal with every year down there. ive learned to just deal with it others just get totally frustrated. the map is your friend.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I forgot you need to get in the back country of standing rock
You can be on the major roads and you won't see a tenth of the guys you would during the state season in other units and about a 20th as many as you will see in that area during the state season.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
That the best you got for an argument? Meme are always fun.

967184.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
There was an Editorial written in the Teton Times last week where a tribal member was complaining about people locking gates and posting Tribal/Allloted land. From the last name of the person writing I think I know which gate and land owner he's talking about. It's kind of funny, since this family was famous for trying to chase people out of that same land they are now locked out of. They harassed a buddy of mine who had permission and saying they were saying it was theirs. Well now everyone is locked out. There is tribal back there too, a huge mix of both. I'm sure I could get permission but the gate is locked so IDK??

TripleSK

Established Member
No its nothing like hunting during regular season unless your talking the 16 1/2 day overlap with state season or possibly hanging out along the grand and even then that would be dramatically stretching it. I might see a couple groups over a large area just before or after state season in a morning with four being a noteworthy busy day. Most days I see maybe one and that's most often at a couple miles through the spotting scope well glassing an area. Last year was definitely a down year for overall size of the bucks but a significant rise in numbers. Just keep in mind big mules are down there but they tend to be a bitch to find until the week after the state season closes and odds are you will be more likely to tangle with a big whitetail then a big mule and they are so jumbled up down there you are likely to bust out whitetails where you expected mules and vice versa. And just remember the biggest advantage that that tag has its not that you can shoot a mule deer or Whitetail but that fact that you can hunt for so goddamn long. It makes the hunt a far more enjoyable time and allows you to back out of areas if there is too much hunting pressure especially going through the State season and realize they will be gone soon enough and the dear will calm down and change behavior rapidly once the state seasons ends.... although this year with the late season it might be a little different. Also keep in mind the mules rut is around 10 days later then the whites so that works very much into your hands with a rez tag.

So from your view it’s more hectic with state hunters on both sides than it is with the local and out of state hunters?

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 160
  • This month: 139
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 123
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 80