Idaho Spring Bear Hunt

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looks like highs in the 70s out there next week is that gonna be kind of on the hot side for bear activity?

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm head north to forest fire country this weekend to go after a giant, been passing on allot of bears the past couple hunts waiting on one that pushes 8 ft. Hoping this is my year! :)

This is the guy I'm hoping for.
bear 2 bone quest (4).jpg
Or his chocolate buddy.
bear1 bone quest (3).jpg

This was the biggest one I passed up two years ago in Alberta. Guy killed him the next week and it went 7' 1"

big brown 2.jpg

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yea it is, I've shot them that size before. Just have a quest for that certain one to full mount. If it was easy the adventures wouldn't be nearly as rewarding I guess.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watched a crazy Wayne Carlton video down in the SW one time with him calling them in. Big buggers came in running and then the crazy bugger jumped out from behind a tree and sprayed the thing in the face with pepper spray at about 5 feet!

Mr Nice

Founding Member
Founding Member
What part of Alberta are you hunting 5575? I've hunted north of Lac La Biche and plan on heading back up next spring.

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did a lil test and tuning with a few rounds this morning. I found that 150gr nosler partitions and 140gr Accubonds have almost the exact same point of impact. The Accubonds were tighter grouping (under 1"). Decisions decisions.....
Oh both out of a 7mm Rem Mag.

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in sask this year, snowing like hell right now..kinda sucks. Bear movement has been terrible. Really wanting to let this muzzy hybrid eat!

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we spent 5 days in Idaho but did not bring home a bear yet I still consider the trip a great success! In total we saw 8 bears of which 2 were shooters. The largest bear was a coal black dark muzzled giant that had we taken would have been magazine cover worthy! Closing the distance in the mountains proved to be tough as the bears were only out the 1st and last hour of daylight. Northern Idaho is incredibly steep although not extremely high. Average elevation of the area we hunted was around 5900' and the highest peaks were 6985'. The sheer thickness of the forest out there is unbelievable dictating that one must find and hunt edges of clear-cuts. Over the length of trip we saw 8 moose, many elk (100+) a mountain goat, blue grouse, ruff grouse, mule deer, and even some whitetail at 6500' which I found odd.
IMG_2556.jpg
IMG_2558.jpg
IMG_2571.jpg
IMG_2573.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2578.jpg
Blue Grouse

Last edited:

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well we are planning on heading out to Idaho again this weekend hopefully its not to early hard time hunts when there is 1100 miles between home and the hunting area!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
From the guys I met out there and have talked to still lots of snow in the area north of Boise and the south east. I wish I was going I can't wait to get back there this October

Buckmaster81

Founding Member
Founding Member
We would be up in the Wallace area I am somewhat concerned about snow as well but I don't have an reliable contacts out there. Last year we should've been a week earlier.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Most wardens in States where we have hunted were always very helpful. They like out of staters coming in and spending money and if you succeed more will be coming in. Give them as much info as to where you would like to hunt and ask if they have any insight or know of a better area.
Offer to meet up for a meal (your treat) to go over maps or more info on the area. Every warden i offered to buy a meal for met us and were a wealth of information. Most didn't want us to pay for their meal but we did anyway. Told them they could buy next time if we would meet up.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77