ND Musky

SB43

Yeah, you'll just have to let the pickling jokes slide because they will never stop. I've tried and it just adds fuel to the fire. Just relish in the fact that if you fish for muskies you are a superior fisherman to anyone else. :cool:

Regarding muskies in ND they are only out West at this point. There are going to start stocking a lake in the East this year, but it will take 10 years before the fishing is any good.

Even though I am a ND native, I've never fished muskies in ND. I always go to Minnesota. Don't know where you are at in ND, but if you are close to the MN boarder some lakes around Bemidji as well as Detroit Lakes area are some of the top lakes in the whole state.

Yeah I see what I did there. Typical newb mistake...I am down in the southwest corner of the state so to get out to Detroit lakes area is a solid Five hours. Thanks for the reply though! I will usually make a week long trip every year. Last year was Vermillion. This year after celebrating my grandparents 60th anniversary hitting up some really good lakes in Northern WI. I have fished in Northeast SD for them, a few lakes have them in around there, and did well. Really just trying to figure out anything closer.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey - what was the name of that other muskie fan that went bat$hit crazy about fishing for spawning muskie?

Fisherman25

Founding Member
Founding Member
I usually find them in the creeks this time of year. No rods needed either. Pitch for works perfect.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
d78b9262e5a6074923b9048cb126266d.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

(musky pickling is a long running joke here which you couldn't know)
#Man Law 269 :

image.jpg

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were the rumors of stocked tiger muskies in Devils Lake just that, rumors? I suppose by this point if there was a tiger muskie still in Devils Lake, you'd have to sort through 50-plus-inch pike to find it. Yucky.

MuskyManiac

Founding Member
Founding Member
Were the rumors of stocked tiger muskies in Devils Lake just that, rumors? I suppose by this point if there was a tiger muskie still in Devils Lake, you'd have to sort through 50-plus-inch pike to find it. Yucky.

No, that was fact. Someone just caught a big one out of there a couple years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

Here's a video of musky fishing in Western ND.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes Audubon was. They would still be pretty small right? Some serious structure....
should be perfect for a big musceleungemuskymushkkyyy

Was I close on the spelling?

SerchforPerch

★★★ Legendary Member
Yeah I see what I did there. Typical newb mistake...I am down in the southwest corner of the state so to get out to Detroit lakes area is a solid Five hours. Thanks for the reply though! I will usually make a week long trip every year. Last year was Vermillion. This year after celebrating my grandparents 60th anniversary hitting up some really good lakes in Northern WI. I have fished in Northeast SD for them, a few lakes have them in around there, and did well. Really just trying to figure out anything closer.

Being an Esox hunter and living in the SW part of the state is like being a duck hunter living in MN - you're a long ways away from quality spots.

If you want a list of MN lakes shoot me a Pm someday and I can provide you with a milk run. I chased Skee's for 15 years religiously all over the state of MN, and new a lot of the pro's before they became "pro's" - the quality is still present in some lakes but if you dont mind the pressure you'll be fine..

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
This shows the lakes that have been stocked in the last 3 years. As you can see, unfortunately, muskies are not high on the priority list for the NDGF. Those would be some waters to target though. Although I don't want to see them everywhere... a little more opportunity would be nice. I used to do real well on Sweetbriar Lake west of Mandan. It has been almost 10 years though. I think they died out and the pike took over. Caught some real nice tigers out of there. Could catch one almost every trip...

I would concentrate on New Johns and the canal lakes. I have never caught one out there, but haven't targeted them much either. There are a few out there though. Good luck and welcome to NDA!

2015 ND Fish Stocking List
Pure Muskellunge
Wood Lake, Benson County200
Lake Audubon, McLean County4000
East Park Lake, McLean County1000
Tiger Muskellunge
New Johns Lake, Burleigh County774
Lake Audubon, McLean County2000
East Park Lake, McLean County774

2014 ND Fish Stocking List
PURE MUSKELLUNGE
New Johns Lake, Burleigh County2000
TIGER MUSKELLUNGE
Lake Audubon, McLean County2000

2013 ND Fish Stocking List
PURE MUSKELLUNGE
Red Willow Lake, Griggs County - 300
East Park Lake, McLean County - 2000
TIGER MUSKELLUNGE
Braun Lake, Logan County - 250
Lake Audubon, McLean County - 9457

dukgnfsn

Founding Member
Founding Member
go to these sites on G&F and do a find for "Muskellunge" and you will see year and where stocked in ND in last ten years. A good start to give you and ideas of options. ND is limited over all for Muskie fishing. New Johns chain is probably best option. Of interest may be Sweet Briar, not sure how many could be left but they could be big if still in there. another interest is [FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Heart Butte Reservoir [FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]close to your area but have never heard of one caught in there but again if there would be big fish. I think very few have fished [FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]Heart Butte Reservoir [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold]for them[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold].[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial,Bold][FONT=Arial,Bold][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]https://gfapps.nd.gov/reports/fisheries/FishStockingSmallWaters.pdf
https://gfapps.nd.gov/reports/fisheries/FishStockingMajorWaters.pdf
dukgnfsn

SB43

If they keep up what they are doing it looks like there could be a couple good options in 5-10 years! Interesting.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67