ND Musky

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
How many walleye does a mushky consume in an average lifespan?

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've landed and 'stuffed' a 49" pure muskellunge, weighing 31lbs, back in 2006. Yes, it was from New Johns Lake. I was pulling shallow cranks around an island for sunbathing walleye. He only got the back two treble hooks and was on Fireline, so he was committed for the entire ride. I tried to release this bastage, but he kept going belly up after measuring the length and two pics so we put him in the live well. He took up the entire space and the three walleye in there with him were a bit nervous!

The state record was broken in 2005 with a 53" whopper. Then, the record was broken again in either 2006 or 2007. It, too, was a 53" length but it was just a tad bit heavier than the previous record.

Muskie 2006.jpg

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up,no offense but I can see why your ski went tits up,not the best handling job if your going to release a big fish,looks like you did a # on the gills.Good color on the fish.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Up,no offense but I can see why your ski went tits up,not the best handling job if your going to release a big fish,looks like you did a # on the gills.Good color on the fish.

How do you know this wasn't post-attempt pose? Besides, big fish on light walleye tackle, methinks that battle lasted longer than the 30 seconds modern ski chasers promote.

Up Y'oars

Founding Member
Founding Member
How do you know this wasn't post-attempt pose? Besides, big fish on light walleye tackle, methinks that battle lasted longer than the 30 seconds modern ski chasers promote.

The fight was on for 15-20mins! The beast came out of the water three times, much like a swordfish does; flopping in mid-air. In hindsight, the fish was probably close to dead by the time we got him out of the water. He gave everything he had. My arms were sore just trying to keep the rod in an upright position.

As we got him near the boat the fish was snapping it's mouth like a gator. My brother-in-law used the rubber landing net just to cover the head of this muskie, and I on the small of the tail, and we hoisted him into the boat.

Yes, Duckslayer, this photo was after we pulled him back out of the water (2nd time) knowing he was coming home with us. The next obstacle was finding an approved weigh station with large enough scale. Most have only 25# scales, or the 50# scale doesn't have large enough platform for the size of this behemoth. We weighed a 5gal bucket first and then laid the fish across that to find the exact weight. Both ends of the body almost touched the counter, even with the bucket and scale underneath.

Vollmers

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Talk to Horsager & mention right away where you are from. He's sure to point you in the right direction! 😹

Sum1

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rule #1 in North Dakota - Nobody ever talks about Muskie. Rule #2 in North Dakota don't ever ask about Muskie.

love2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I caught a muskie on south golden lake quite a few years ago, only about 16'' long but pretty damn cool either way. Put it right back in the water.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
My challenge is to catch a Sheyenne Musky (which I know are in there as I've seen 3 for sure) and a sturgeon, which I don't think is possible, but here's to hopin'. IMO, I like the idea of having muskies in ND, but can do without the special regs, treatment, and management of a body of water, just because there's musky in there. Muskies don't deserve any more emphasis than any other fish species IMO. If they can't make it in a body of water within the confines of current management strategies, then the revenue spent to force the issue is a waste.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lake Audubon will start becoming more of a player this year with fish starting to break 40 inches. As for the GDU it's a little screwed up with the canal blocked west of west park. Have never landed a ski in the GDU but lost one saw friend bring in a 20 pond or so. But what I have seen on more then one occasion are truly huge ski in the canal itself just slowly cruising along looking sexy as hell. There are some big fish in there that's for sure.

Hornhunter

Banned
Banned
I wouldn't expect any skis over 40 on Audabon yet. All the ones I've caught the last few years were in the 18-24 inch range.

ND58201

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am from DL so I have a good reason to hate minnesotans and sconi"s They have ruined what I experienced to what my kid will experience. Like Horsager said before they are real pricks and deserve all of the hate that comes their way. If they want to make it right with us it would start with staying away for a generation or two and still keep pumping money into our game and fish coffers. I still think someone after dean H was a sconi because our heritage has really went to shit and money hungry g and f followed. not sure but just my opinion.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77