New boat, looking for input

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
We've decided on upgrading our boat come fall or spring, our minds are made up on layout, just looking between a few manufacturers and looking for input to help decide. The models were looking into would be a stratos 386, triton 186 allure, crestliner super hawk, alumacraft trophy 185. Weights are not that far off from the aluminums to the glass, glass has many options that if upgraded to on the aluminums brings them much closer in price. Will the aluminums provide a smooth dry ride at that size? How much of a pain is the glass to pull on shore with, even with keel guard?? Looking at staying around a 150 for any of the above-Mercury or Yamaha?? The triton allure is a dam nice boat but curious why a guy doesn't see more of them out there, apples to apples very close to stratos price. Any input is appreciated, and yes I did look at the skeeters too but wanted less bow room and more cockpit space

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
You know what a blonde from Minnesota and a 747 have in common....huge cockpits.

sorry I have no real help for you

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I really like the layout of the 386xf but have never rode in one. I dont care for the carpet everywhere (on top of sides) in the alumacraft. Dont know anything about the allure. The lund 1875 crossover is really nice. Lots of room behind the glass. My inlaws have one and I love it.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Those tritons are nice boats, but I know you're going to chase salmon on the face of the dam and in tailrace. For those two locations, I'd pick aluminum. Those super hawks look like nice boats. My brother's neighbor just picked one up this spring and it seemed to have a nice layout.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think u already know which one u want. Buy the triton don't look back. As far as pulling up on shore as long as it isn't rocks it will be ok. The finish will look a little different bu it's on the bottom who cares. The won't. My ski boat lived on the gravel sand bottom every weekend. Waxed it when sold couldn't tell unless u crawled under the trailer

pluckem

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't have any experience with any listed.

However I am pretty sure the Ultimate Outdoor Adventure crew has run both the Stratos and Triton in that size in the last few years. Might be worth it to send them a message on their website and get some input on comparisons.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you run down river from the tailrace a lot, I would pick aluminum. If you fish the lake and just in/by the chute, I would go glass. That stretch between the 'race and Stanton has some hidden gremlins in it especially when flow is low.

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
find a wx1880 skeeter already loaded out with a 200hpdi and a t-8 and you will have the best 18ft fish and ski model made in the last 10 years.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go with the yamaha or suzuki motor if you can find them. heard good things from the triton and i've fished out of several stratos's and they fish well. Also fished out of alumcraft 185's and they are good. I personally wouldn't buy a wetliner. the glass boats will be a drier and smoother ride than the alumacraft, but as mentioned above it's where you fish and how often you beach, etc.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you like to fish with more than two guys in the boat, the Stratos looks like the glass boat of choice. If you usually only fish 2 guys and want more storage, the Triton looks like the ticket. A lot more space behind the windshield of the Stratos without the U storage/livewell.

martinslanding

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go aluminum I like LUND…but if that’s not an option the Crestliner is a close second. I looked really hard at Stratos 8 years ago when I was in the market and was impressed with them then…remember the motor is just as if not more important than the boat itself…don’t’ under power…and those Suzuki heads are hard to beat…
I’m with you on all the carpet of the alumicraft…never liked that, don’t know much about the Tritons I thought they had hull issues but that may have been a while back…as stated I’ve been out of the market for awhile…

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you go aluminum I like LUND…but if that’s not an option the Crestliner is a close second. I looked really hard at Stratos 8 years ago when I was in the market and was impressed with them then…remember the motor is just as if not more important than the boat itself…don’t’ under power…and those Suzuki heads are hard to beat…
I’m with you on all the carpet of the alumicraft…never liked that, don’t know much about the Tritons I thought they had hull issues but that may have been a while back…as stated I’ve been out of the market for awhile…

Lunds are great. I wouldnt shy away from the Tyee, Fisherman, Impact line of boats at all. Or event ProV if its the layout you like

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace is a must for this guy, I know I've seen large glass in there but I've often wondered how, Lund I have looked at but would have been the crossover, didn't care for the rod storage as much and price puts them more than the glass without any comparable features like ski pole, Bimini, terrova, I do know the quality would be there. As for the "wetliner" I'm intrigued....the old man used to call em crestleakers but I really haven't found any hull issues they've had, is it the ride??

as far as tailrace goes...are roller trailers an option for glass or only bunks? Never had either so kinda a learning curve I'm sure

gone_fishing

Founding Member
Founding Member

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ask SDMF about crestliner -- between his experience and what I see on WCentral on lund lately is enough to stay away from Brunswick. Alumacraft got bought out from a private equity company. I have not had any warranty issues so I can say one way or another. My ride is good until the wave gets a certain size -- I don't what size that is and I really have a hard time comparing as other rides I have been in have been longer 20-21- that isn't really apples to oranges. My neighbor has a 19 pro v -the bow is huge the back sucks for trolling with more than two guys. cant say much on ride as he putts. For the money I would hope that lunds ride better. Vinyl is an option on alumacraft just like every other boat.

tin: if you don't want a lot of maintenance and fussying over.
glass: if you want the girls to like the glitter, you don't mind paying a few bucks more for ride, it can survive some bumps.

Get as long of boat that you can and as much hp for the money --imo.

SDMF

Founding Member
Founding Member
My problem with Crestliner is their long-term customer service. Other than the leaking which lead to rotten transom, my fish hawk was great to fish out of and other than the transom, I didn't have any other "boat" related problems.

Glass will ride better and be dryer than AL. I'm on my 2nd glass boat and doubt I'll go back to AL. I routinely beach mine on sand/gravel. I've never beached any boat on "rocks".

If Yar Craft still makes the 186 FSX you should throw that in the mix as well as an 1850 Ranger Reatta and Sub-Elect would be apoplectic if you don't at least look @ the 18.5' Nitro.

I'd go Yamaha or Suzuki or Honda over Merc but it's because Merc and Crestliner are joined @ the hip and I refuse to spend one more $$ with Brunswick.

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had a 1750 fish hawk for bout 5 years... best layout and handling boat i've ever been in under 5 mph... over that, not so much... just too light in the front i think...

fwiw, i would never own another boat with carpet... i'm on my second toon with vinyl, and left uncovered, get a free wash down of the blood and slime of the weekend...

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you run down river from the tailrace a lot, I would pick aluminum. If you fish the lake and just in/by the chute, I would go glass. That stretch between the 'race and Stanton has some hidden gremlins in it especially when flow is low.

That is a dangerous stretch, especially south of Keens. Boulders and sharp rock that will reach out and grab a lower unit, hull, etc. My old Crestliner was christened there.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
i had a 1750 fish hawk for bout 5 years... best layout and handling boat i've ever been in under 5 mph... over that, not so much... just too light in the front i think...

fwiw, i would never own another boat with carpet... i'm on my second toon with vinyl, and left uncovered, get a free wash down of the blood and slime of the weekend...

I am unaware of any boats that do not have option for vinyl. Its been that way for quite some time. Imo a non issue for a new boat shopper

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
If your around the Minot area I'll take you out in my super hawk. I have had no issues with it other then breaking a seat. It's a 2011 and has been used a lot.every boat has a lemon hear and there just the guys with the sparkly boats are afraid to say anything. Not a Lund fan as you don't get much for the money. Looked real close at the aluma crafts when I bought but couldn't get one locally with motor setup I wanted. I have no complaints on the 2 crestliners I've owned or the 3 or 4 my dad and uncles have owned. And I don't care I have been wet in every boat I have ever been in glass and aluminum. Buy what fits your budget so you can use the crap out of it and not bitch about the payment.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 106
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66