New boat, looking for input

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been a Lund owner for decades. I like Lund boats in that they're the best made aluminum boat. Crestliners and Alumacraft are a definite step below. The boat business is super competitive. If something costs more, it's because of the products going into it that make it. Cheaper means cheaper. But, in the glass vs aluminum argument, when it comes to ride in rough water fiberglass is going to blow aluminum away. You can shape fiberglass much better than you can aluminum. But if you aren't going to be out there breaking 3+ foot waves a lot, then find the one with the layout you like the best for how you plan to or do fish.

sierra1995

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes, "Wetliner" is because of the ride.

I went from a yarcraft 1785 with an extremely dry ride to my lund pro angler 16. I know the ride is worse and i will get wet from spray, but I wanted to get back into a tiller. FYI I had a 140 suzuki on my yarcraft, that motor was awesome. But - get the 150 if you can, much more power and geared differently.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tailrace is a must for this guy, I know I've seen large glass in there but I've often wondered how, Lund I have looked at but would have been the crossover, didn't care for the rod storage as much and price

just wondering what the crossover has over the tyee in you eyes?
To me the tyee is for the fisherman that might take his family tubing, cruising, ect
the crossover is more to the tuber that might fish once in awhile

MurphysLAW

Take a look at the Ranger Reata 1850, great boat that fits the class of boat you are looking for. I have a 05 with Yamaha F150 with 800+hours new lower unit after 600hr of mighty mo sandbar grinding. Great boat it has a hamby keel guard pulled it up on many of a sand bar at varying speeds from Idle to about 30mph:;:smokin also have beached her on sandy gravel lake shore if there isn't rip rap present the glass wont suffer too much. After 7 years of hard use minor gel coat cracking and a few docking nicks here and there all in all love the boat swing tongue trailer is handy when looking.. if you have garage constraints. IMO buy a used boat rigged out how you would want it rams vs scottys, kickers, bowmount, graphs lowrance vs bird, props nothing like sinking a couple grand into rigging a boat how you want it then looking on walleye central and seeing one with 50-150 hrs maybe a few years old with all the bells and whistle for 20-30k less then the showroom model decked out equally that you wont fish crawlers out of or chew seeds and cringe every time you approach the trailer to land on the river or tie up to a dock, go fishing by yourself yada yada. If looking in the 150 class of motor the Yamaha F150 is a classic billy barue always cranks and gets decent mpgs.

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
just wondering what the crossover has over the tyee in you eyes?
To me the tyee is for the fisherman that might take his family tubing, cruising, ect
the crossover is more to the tuber that might fish once in awhile

I guess I didn't realize that the tyee had jump seats but I see that now, my reason for not looking at a kind is the fact that EVERY thing is an option and not standard equipment and I'd spend 5k more for it than the above mentioned glass boats where dam near everything is standard

dont get me wrong I love the lunds and feel the quality is there but would I be happy to fish out of any of the others for less?? Effin a right I would

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I guess I didn't realize that the tyee had jump seats but I see that now, my reason for not looking at a kind is the fact that EVERY thing is an option and not standard equipment and I'd spend 5k more for it than the above mentioned glass boats where dam near everything is standard

dont get me wrong I love the lunds and feel the quality is there but would I be happy to fish out of any of the others for less?? Effin a right I would

I agree with you there. I sure cant swing a fresh lund price tag. I lucked into a 2004 Fisherman 1700 at a great price, has 2 livewells, jump seats, decent storage, and i sure love that big ole johnson ( suzuki) 4 stroke.

Sit in a lot of boats. let us know where you are from im sure people would let you go for a ride so you can feel them on the water,

In the end doesnt matter if its a 14 foot tiller or a 21 foot ranger. we are all out doing what we enjoy

Hookin8easy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been in the stratos 386 a few times and love them, I am looking at new because many used ones have options I wouldn't need/want, maxed out hp, and beings I'm from the Bismarck area I'd prefer to have one that I know hasn't been launched into sandbars week after week, figured buy one and done kinda thing. I like the rear jumps, rod storage, room of these, pricing all pretty competitive just looking for the right fit for our needs...plenty of smaller lakes, river, tailrace, and big lake downrigging. Have a 1 year old now and looking to expand the family and these would fill future water fun needs while primarily being deep, safe, smooth rides for fishing extravaganzas

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hookin8easy,

With a young one coming on board, I very strongly encourage you to limit your search to a boat that has those rear jump seats. They are nothing short of awesome for young kids! Another option is to buy a small bean bag for kids to ride on in the rear of the boat, kids sitting in the rear where the ride is the smoothest is a very important feature to me. I say that as the owner of a 1700 Lund Fisherman with the jumpseats. My now 8 and 10 year olds have been riding back in the jumps from day one of their boating lives and it makes a difference.

Other than that, there are a lot of great boats out there nowadays. I kinda like Lunds, but in that I recognize they too have things that are better done in some other brands, just all about what you prioritize.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have four seats along with a butt seat up front and the jumps. Majority of the time my rear seats are not used and if my big kids are along they use the jumps. its just more convenient. Bimini top is a must for family. Broke it out on the 4th when the weather got hot and no wind. Jumps however are not covered by it- so we had to improvise a little.

all4eyes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not sure there is really a bad boat out of the big three in aluminum, but I'm not impressed withe the new lands. Seems like they cheapened them up and increased the price tag. Wish I had the money for glass, yarcraft would be a tough one to overlook. I paid cash for my new boat and still have a little mo eye to use it 3 or 4 days a week, usually. just make sure it fits you and your budget and use the hell out of it. Save a ton and buy a gently used one.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69
  • This month: 67