Handicapping fishing tourneys?

JCNodak

Honored Member
How many would fish a tournament if the entry fee was $ 750 so the payout was bigger ?
This is the reason I don't fish tourney's. I can't justify dropping 3-500 smackers on a tournament that I likely won't even see my name on the board. Maybe it's because I don't fish as hard as you guys, but if there was a 50 boat tournament with a $50-$100 entry fee this weekend I would be there. Am I a great fisherman? No. Not even close. I have been in one tournament and it was fun and I would like to do it again, but not at those entry fees.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I get what you're saying, 3. However, there's rules to what equipment you can use in golf. The type of grooves in your wedges, the ball, out of bounds or play it where it lies, "why can I use my foot wedge." As of right now, no one has laid down any restrictions on a fishing tournament for boat length, motor size, type of fuel used, how many expensive rods you have, etc. About the only thing that's restricted is some types of bait and how many lines can be in the water. So, if you feel like you're going to have a better chance at winning a tournament by buying a 21 foot boat and strapping a 350 on the back of it, have at it. So I'm with Sub on this. I'm not in a position to buy a big boat, so I stay out of those tournaments, or tag along with a friend that has a big boat.

I think some of those bass tournaments down south limit you to a 250.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
The NDGF allows kill tourneys. Even on smallmouth tourneys, you cant make this shit up.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
This weekend i seen alot of small crafts going on DL. The best part is when you pull up to the fish cleaning station -- you see a 15 footer with a 25hp on one side cleaning and a brand new 621 shiny 350merc on the other. The ships are appropriately named -- "paid for" and "making payments" ---- The 15footer two guys have a mess of 18-24 inchers - good fish. The 621 has the 12 1/2 inchers-13 -- 621 says to 15foot where did you get those. 15 foot tells them exactly where - maybe 400 yards from the ramp in a spot nobody would think of (deep no structure). 621 shakes his head. I seen this at the ramp a few years back - true story -- it doesnt get any better than that. The BOAT does'nt catch fish.

Last weekends AIM -- i dont believe the winners ran to pelican. I seen them in the main bay jigginrappin.

This years Chamber -- the 16 foot boat was back and placed second:

The second place anglers are familiar with the winner’s circle. Mike Kaderlik, Mankato, MN, and son Jarvis, Bismarck, ND, were three pounds back with 21.27 pounds. They won last year in the same 16-foot refurbished aluminum boat with a 60-hp outboard. The senior Kaderlik admitted, “It may be the slowest boat in the tournament.” Last year they landed 200 walleyes over two days. This year, they caught only six in the same area. They used floating jointed Rapalas, Rattlin’ Raps and Husky Jerks. Fishing 5 to 12 feet, in Pelican Bay, Mike said, “The wind was terrible. It took 90 minutes to get there, and we were bouncing across the lake more than casting.”

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Shorthairs, you seem to have something against ranger boats. Have you ever ridden in one? Green is not your color.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey DM and Sub..good points! No worries! I am quite sure you would fit in the man cave bantering! Bring your own damn Busch lights though..lol

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
I got 75% thru the posts. I've heard enough. I'm in with this idea. Give me 1 pound extra because of my 60hp and 16.5 ft boat and eyes gonna kick the shit out of you 300 hp 22 foot Ranger mofos. Well... not really. But, it sounds tough. Besides that, it also sounds neat. In all seriosness, I think this is a great busch light discussion.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in with the Busch lights. Next time I'm in DL, which based on my lifetime visits to the area, will be sometime in 2046.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only issue I have is with blue rangers on oahe. Get me a nutter 30 pack bl

- - - Updated - - -

Oh boy some ranger lover had to give me a reputation point and then write something nasty but not sign it.

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mike I wasn't referring to u . Its a joke somebody had a rant about a ranger down by Yates a while back.

- - - Updated - - -

Blue ranger that rant was on

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
pirating bastards and not the good kind of pirates with patches and parrots either

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blame the guy with the nitro who hitched a ride on a ranger to steal a spot from a skeeter. #bluerangersmatter

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My two remaining Fargo friends from way back in the day when I was an eastern douche too, both have Rangers, one out fishes me every single time for 25 years now, the other is my dipshit buddy Jeff, he has never out fished me, even when I was passed out drunk in the back of my own boat...haha

Jeff is a good guy, but a poor fisherman, the term dipshit is meant as an endearing one, regardless of how it might sound.

Anyways, back to the ranger reference. Both good guys, both nice boats, both vote for the non liberal candidate, and both think their sparkle boats are better than mine.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 85
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 69