keeping fish alive in summer?

shorthairsrus

Founding Member
Founding Member
My dad has something good like that on his boat and can fill the livewell while running across the lake on plane

I haven't looked -- and maybe just assuming do to the fact that my boat came with it as standard equipment --- don't they come standard on most boats today? EZ pump or something that works like that?

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an oxygenator and constantly add new water with great luck.
You can have the healthiest walleyes in the box. However, 10 minutes after a pike is added to the livewell, the walleyes go belly up.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
You can have the healthiest walleyes in the box. However, 10 minutes after a pike is added to the livewell, the walleyes go belly up.

No worries about pike since I dont keep them but why do they make the walleye go belly up?

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
Because they stinky stank the tank. Throw them in a separate iced down cooler

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree, Walleyes seem to do just fine alone in a livewell and are calm but throw in a northern and it will flop around like crazy and kill everything big enough to die. Not sure if it stresses the walleyes or depletes the oxygen or both but it happens to me every time unless the water is cold.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
The really good live wells with oxygenators along with fresh flow do a pretty good job. The live wells without oxygenators are destined for dead fish if they are in there for more than a few hours.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A cooler full of crushed ice is about as good as it gets for keeping fish fresh. All the saltwater charters use it. The bleeding does a great job at making fillets look good and are very white also can keep from getting stale taste from blood.

3Roosters

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have heard putting your fish in a hamper and submerging in a secret location to pick up later will keep them alive longer as well. Submitted by a friend.

Bowhunter_24

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was cleaning fish at parshall bay and this married couple acted like I was retarded for not bleeding my fish. They went on and on. I respect my elders but wanted to say you do you and I’ll do me.

plus it’s hard to “upgrade” dead fish. ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

I used an old boat for years without a livewell. When I bought a new boat the livewell is the highlight!

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was cleaning fish at parshall bay and this married couple acted like I was retarded for not bleeding my fish. They went on and on. I respect my elders but wanted to say you do you and I’ll do me.

- - - Updated - - -

You didn’t say: The only thing I bleed is critics?

NDSportsman

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

I used an old boat for years without a livewell. When I bought a new boat the livewell is the highlight!
I use my livewell too but still bleed my walleyes before cleaning. I transfer them to a 5 gallon bucket and slit their gills while getting the boat ready to head home. They are bleed out by the time I hit the cleaning station. The fillets are just much better if the fish are bleed out IMO.

Snapper

Watch the video Wired2Fish on how to keep fish in a livewell. Basically add about 2” of water in your livewell, plug off your overflow with a bull plug. Put your livewell on recirculate so no water can enter your livewell with the overflow plugged off. Add a 20# bag of ice to the livewell with a fish additive (Gjuice) or similar. Close lid. After first fish is caught put your livewell on auto and fill to 2” under your overflow that is plugged off (you will have to keep an eye on your livewell so it doesn’t get too much water in it. When it’s 2” below the overflow turn your livewell on to recirculate. This will recirculate only your cold water in the livewell. Only open to put fish in. Good luck.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member

- - - Updated - - -

With these helpful people I have 3 basic statements I like to give them
1 who are you?
2 what do you want?
3 don’t ever fucking talk to me again.

Usually gets the job done

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75