weather

ndfinfan

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Little bit colder temps for the ice would not bother me at all...far as snow goes, "normal" is good long as we don't get it all in 1 weekend!

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't know everyone keeps saying it's been a wet summer so we are going to get dumped on but from what I'm used to seeing it's tends to flip to the reverse about every four to five months. Seems like if it's a wet summer it's a dry winter if it's a wet winter it's a dry summer. This winter is forecast to be cold with equal chances on precipitation but La Nina does have a slight tendency to be dryer then wet and that's what I'm hoping for because we need at least one more year to build on the deer and goats heards back before thay can take another hit.

La Nina tends to be drier???

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah if you go back and average them all out it tends to work out to 2 out of three tend to be avarge to below average with the third tending to be a kick in the balls. The last la nina was 11-12 the year of no winter. Mind you the la ninia before that was 10-11 and needless to say our deer heard would no appreciate a repeat of that particular year.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wind. Dam, does it ever quit. Met a semi as I was going west on highway 13 yesterday and it sucked my tail gate protecter off, Dam thing might be in sd or minn.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Official Sweater season has begun in NoDAk
nipple-poking-sweater-06.jpg

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
If she get that perky next to a palm tree I would love to see her out ice fishing.

Thanks dean I didn't even see that palm tree in the back ground :;:cheers

- - - Updated - - -

I'm amazed that sweater even holds those biggens!! ;:;boozer

It is called double stick tape

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
F9922901-9EE7-4960-9E3390D507F0EB42_source.jpg

Weather
[h=1]Dreaded Polar Vortex May Be Shifting[/h]As the Arctic wind pattern migrates toward Europe it could allow frigid air to descend upon the U.S.

Share on Facebook

Share on Twitter

Share on Reddit

Email

Print

Share via

D80E8071-AE53-4E69-A906DB40CB4A6F30.jpg

Credit: BENJAMIN LIPSMAN Flickr
Advertisement | Report Ad
The polar vortex in recent years has brought the kind of miserable cold to northern states that made it hard to breathe outside. We’re probably in for more of the same.
That’s the finding of a new study published yesterday in the journal Nature that finds that as the Arctic warms, it is shifting the polar vortex to Europe. That in turn will bring more bursts of frigid cold to North America.
Those temperature drops could lead to miserable days in February and March, the research finds. Conversely, those drops in temperature could offset some of global warming’s effect in those regions, said Martyn Chipperfield, professor of atmospheric chemistry at the University of Leeds and a co-author of the paper.
“Climate change can lead to extremes; it’s not like a regular change, everyone to the same extent at all times and places,” he said. “Despite the overall warming, you can get in places like the Northeastern U.S. extreme cold events. That’s consistent with climate change and global warming.”
The polar vortex is a fast-moving band of air that encircles the frigid Arctic in winter months and traps it there. Its movement is part of a decadeslong change.
The polar vortex has actually “shifted persistently” away from North America and into Europe and Asia over the last 30 years, researchers found. That results in cooling over North America but warmer winters in Europe.
As global warming decreases sea ice, the sun’s warmth absorbed by the ocean is instead released from the ocean for a longer period of time, which disrupts the vortex.
When the vortex weakens, a growing number of climate scientists argue, the cold Arctic air migrates to lower latitudes, as happened in early 2014 and 2015. The sudden and somewhat prolonged burst of cold broke pipes and water mains and more than doubled energy bills in places like New York and New England as it wreaked havoc across a wide swath of the country.
The movement of the vortex has come as the Arctic steadily loses sea ice, a process that some scientists are worried could accelerate in the future as the Earth continues to warm at record levels.
The loss of sea ice in the Arctic amid rapid warming has also weakened the vortex, said Judah Cohen, a climatologist with the private firm Atmospheric and Environmental Research. Cohen has said that weakening will lead to increasingly frigid periods of winter in North America, though other scientists dispute his claims. Though he has not studied a shift in the vortex itself, he said it could be consistent with his findings that the vortex is weakening.
“In general, a vortex that has shifted is a vortex that is weaker,” he said. “They’re consistent.”
Monthly global temperatures continue to set warmth records, but North America and Europe have seen extreme cold during some winter days as a result of the polar vortex. However, researchers found, the cold air brought into lower latitudes by the vortex has also offset global warming temperatures.
Still, don’t expect prolonged periods of cold every winter, Chipperfield said. Climate change increases periods of extreme weather, but that doesn’t mean every winter will bring the effects of the polar vortex, he said.
“You can get regional occurrences of cold temperatures despite what we think is an overall move to a warmer climate,” he said, adding, “Climate change can lead to more extreme events, not just a shift in the average.”
Reprinted from ClimateWire with permission from Environment & Energy Publishing, LLC. E&E provides daily coverage of essential energy and environmental news at www.eenews.net. Click here for the original story.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Saw a duck hunter walking across a small slough this morning up north of regan. no idea how thick it was but most all the small water was iced over with new Johns the only one I can say for a fact was open. cold also had the deer out and about doing their rut thing. these kinda surprised me just north of the Wilton mine at 9:30. damn things were a hundred yards off the highway in the wide open laying flat on the ground. as soon as I stopped the buck popped his head up but the doe held her pose for a couple minutes. wish this would have been in Sioux County because that buck wasn't to shabby.

Screenshot_2016-11-19-10-27-32.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 90
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67