Deep Fried or Pan fry Walleye........

Which way do you eat your walleye

• Total voters

Jake G

Founding Member
Founding Member
All the above. My pick for the best deep fry advice would be the Colonel. Watched a food deal the other day and saw club soda may actually be superior to beer. Hurts to say. The batter this guy used in an English pub looked to be just seasoned Bisquick and soda. I believe he dipped in egg first, not sure. I DO know it's important to dip in egg or thoroughly dry the fish before applying batter or you'll get a crispy shell containing a mushy fish morsel.

forums
What in the ham sandwhich??

raider

Founding Member
Founding Member
wake up old girl... one of the first threads on this site i believe... 2+ years old...

lots of new peeps here now that must have something to contribute... please share...

701FishSlayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
helloooo

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of this thread, I used the damn fryer again last night. Happy to report they weren't dried out. The bad, there was just not much flavor flave at all. That sumbitch is going out the door.

measure-it

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wet fillets with Frank's Hot Sauce, roll in and pat on crushed Cheez-it crackers, and pan fry in cast iron/ veg. oil 1/2" deep. Dust the fried fillets with onion salt and lemon pepper......YUM!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
The flour dip, then egg/milk, then batter is key to even coverage and having it stick. It's a pain because it adds a step, but worth the time. Most important, regardless of batter, is temp. Doing large batches requires a reheat for the oil, or adding fillets as others are removed is necessary.

I admit, I haven't ventured to new methods because this works so well and my family loves it. I'm a little afraid to give them bad fish for fear they won't eat it again.....sounds like I need to venture out with some alone then share once I find what works. And there are plenty of suggestions in this thread that sound delicious!

Do a flour dip, then into egg and milk bath, then into your final breading. Guy hit the temp, that is about right, make sure you are at least 350. When they float, they are done. Hard to say what you are doing wrong but probably not hot enough.

You want really good fried fish. Take a skillet with and cook them over hot coals on shore, in butter. It's been a long time but it is the best. I grill walleye and every other way you can cook them; I've come to the conclusion they are the perfect fish to fry.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is the deep with these air fryer contraptions... and I miss svnmag

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
I rarely pan fry unless I want to really feel guilty later. When I do, it's olive oil or coconut oil. A little more expensive but, like I said, I don't pan fry often. Usually it's in a tinfoil contraption with some yogurt butter stuff my wife always buys, random seasonings, and onions on top. If I'm really feeling like work, it's onto the walleye cakes which end up in vegetable oil to finish.

These mythical walleye cakes... I've heard of them. I know, I know, you invited, and I wasn't able to make it. Next time though, I'll come back from vacation or whatever. Just want a nibble, and the recipe.

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone tried dotz pretzels for breading?

No, but oh wow, what a thought...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I cut to bite size, same size pieces and keep hot at 350 , no more and no less. Don't overload fryer with too much fish and don't start another batch until temp has recovered. When they float their done.

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its fantastic. One of my fav's
Nothing but truth here, It is definitely fantastic. Vollmer do you break up the pretzels or do you just buy the pre-smashed mix? I've used the pre-smashed baggies that they sell and friggen love it.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
Nothing but truth here, It is definitely fantastic. Vollmer do you break up the pretzels or do you just buy the pre-smashed mix? I've used the pre-smashed baggies that they sell and friggen love it.

Both ways. I like them either way.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
My favorite is Dr.'d up shore lunch beer batter(add favorite seasoning to beer batter). Deep fry with nice light crispy brown shell and enjoy with salt and lemon juice or a secret home made tarter sauce.

ND 41 Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
A few years back I tried Cabela's Blackened Seasoning on fillets in a cast iron frying pan with very little coconut oil- smoking hot. In other words, i did the blackening method. Kids and wife don't want walleye any other way now, even though every once in a while i get the hankerin' for battered and deep fried!

scrotcaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
Instead of Tarter sauce try mixing up equal parts of mayo and heinz 47 style steak sauce.. best damn concoction ever for fried fish.. sometimes even a squirt of pickle relish..... good stuff

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just had my favorite and it was glorious!

IMG_0778.jpg

This is how your beer batter shell should appear:

IMG_0779.jpg

Reprobait

Founding Member
Founding Member
2ef5e9d5-0fd9-40f9-af79-ae0ddaa03e22_1.ce3b322e45bdc9e47f2f469eefa21b78.jpeg

I like this stuff. Available at Wal Mart for about $1.38 a bag and cooks as well as anything I have tried. It gets brown and a little crisp without over cooking the fish. The oil also stays a little cleaner with it.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
what is the deep with these air fryer contraptions... and I miss svnmag

We got one as a gift. Works OK. Say you are going to bread fish in cracker crumbs and pan or deep fry, instead you would add a little veggie oil to the cracker breading and then throw in the air fryer. The oil makes it brown while it cooks, otherwise it would look the same coming out as when it went in except cooked.

Vollmer

Founder
Administrator
2ef5e9d5-0fd9-40f9-af79-ae0ddaa03e22_1.ce3b322e45bdc9e47f2f469eefa21b78.jpeg

I like this stuff. Available at Wal Mart for about $1.38 a bag and cooks as well as anything I have tried. It gets brown and a little crisp without over cooking the fish. The oil also stays a little cleaner with it.

I just tried this stuff a couple weekends ago. The cajun style. It will be used again. Very good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77