Pellet grills in the rain?

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I got 4 pork butts ready to put on the traeger tonight for a wedding rehearsal dinner tomorrow night and looks like it's going to rain all night. Hands are kind of tied because they have to get done one way or another. Anyone used their pellet grill in a good rain shower before and not had any problems during or after it got rained on?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why does the rain concern you? Surely the intake and exhaust is on the side?

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Keep rain from getting in the pellet hopper when you open it and you should be fine. May get a little heat loss due to the outside of the cooker being wet, but I've cooked on my Traeger plenty in the rain. No major issues

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Electronics and rain don't mix well.

- - - Updated - - -

Keep rain from getting in the pellet hopper when you open it and you should be fine. May get a little heat loss due to the outside of the cooker being wet, but I've cooked on my Traeger plenty in the rain. No major issues

Never had any issues with the electronics getting wet? That's my only concern because I won't open the hopper lid once I fill it when I start since it will be raining.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
Never had any issues with the electronics getting wet? That's my only concern because I won't open the hopper lid once I fill it when I start since it will be raining.
10065-7672.gif
Little electricity never hurt anyone. Just ask this guy from Great Outdoors. But no, I've never had any issues with the electronics getting wet. Maybe I've been dodging a bullet all this time?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any chance for some plastic and duct tape?

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
Why should rain touch the pellets? I really don't know a damn thing about this. It seems they could be lit in the garage?...

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
I made an umbrella type deal outta a smaller/cheap tarp, to cover the hopper and controller when it was raining while using the pellet grill.

Have a buddy who has a green mountain that he leaves out side 24/7/365 and uncovered 3/4 of the time and has never had problems with the electronics has wasted and had to remove wet pellets before though.

fishn4fun

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've had rain showers roll through while cooking with no issues. As said before you might have a drop in temp and don't get the pellets wet. I had some fall on the ground and get wet and they turn into little piles of saw dust.

Mac

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was cooking a few weeks ago, when the hail storm hit Fargo, I just used the cover of the grill to cover the pellet hopper and the controller, never had a problem.

jpv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well I had them out all night in rain showers with no issues so far.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77