E2 Elk - Location, Maps, etc

siouxperstars

Looking for some help in locating a bull elk. I have been hunting west of the killdeer mountains and have not seen a thing. Landowners are telling me that they have not seen elk all summer and believe they have moved east of hwy 85 and north of the little Missouri. I am planning on spending some time east of 85 and north of the river and was wondering if anyone has any ideas/maps that they are willing to share. Thanks in advance.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only ended up meeting with two ranchers, and they were the opposite types.
Rancher #1 was more than willing to show me on the map every good spot he could remember on his land and on the adjacent public land, which was amazing considering he had his own gratis tag to fill.

Rancher #2 chewed my ass for 10 minutes for driving across 200 yards of "her land" to access public even though, a: There was a road there, clearly marked on the map, and b: it was on a section line.

Rancher #1 later told me that Rancher #2 thinks she owns the elk and charges $900 for a bull tag on her land.

I know who rancher #1 is, but is #2 bitch the one that owns the property to the SE of the public? She is a real bitch!!

fly2cast

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see... #8. It appears different from deer. I cant believe they make a guy pack out the head. How many guys are actually doing that? I bet people knock the skull plate off of smaller bulls instead of packing out the entire head, but it states the head must accompany the carcass. So, a person could get in trouble for that.

Is this really what the NDGF wants... everyone to pack their elk and moose heads out? Imagine having to pack a damn cow moose head... just because.

With deer, you would just have to leave your tag on the head in the field. The carcass tag is for the meat in transport and storage.

Very interesting. Thanks for enlightening me SuppressYourself, I was not aware of this.

Is this true? The way I read the rules for deer hunting is that you need the head: In the 2016 ND Deer Hunting Guide:

A deer carcass or boned-out meat must be accompanied by the head to the final place of storage (except in unit 3F2 as stated above).

Am I missing something?

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was out west of 85 and north of little missouri this past weekend (fri-sun). ndbwhunter and SupressYourself I thank you for your help on the area. We hunted the public land east of Rancher #1 but didn't see a single elk. Tons of muleys though, couple nice bucks. We hunted the public land quite hard and it was very depressing to not see any!! I think they may have moved even further east or may be tucked down tight on the river bed. They were no doublt there previously as SupressYourself got one (we also have a cow tag). There was also a giant bull with this small heard. I wish I could help.....they are there somewhere I just need to find them. It sure is a pain in the ass with the private oil roads being closed to the public....would make it a lot F'n easier to get to more public land!!

Petras

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone got any leads on where a guy might find a cow in e2 now? one of my co-workers has a tag. I'd like to help him find one. Planning on heading down there Saturday morning and putting on some miles to break in my new kenetreks, would be nice to possibly find an elk for him to shoot as well

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone see any elk in E2??? Still need to fill a cow tag! Thank you for any info you may have. #needamiracle

ffjr

Founding Member
Founding Member
In 2008 I was lucky enough to draw a cow tag in E-1. I made 6 trips before season to visit with land owners and scout out the area. During my hunt I made 8 trips to the Walhalla and hunted 19 days before I seen my first elk. It was a hunt I will never forget, if i had the chance i would do it all over again by putting in all the work that it takes to fill my tag. That's why they the call it a once in a life time tag for ND.
Family 027.jpg

Walleye_Chaser

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah I've experienced that somewhat. Really sucks that other assholes have cause that annomosity especially with land owners. Pisses me off to no end

f15wrencher

I finally drew a cow tag in E2 for 2017. I have only been down that way in pursuit of Mulies, never saw an Elk. Any advice/areas/suggestions would be awesome!!!

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Go back to the first page and look at my post. PM me if you have any questions.

rob boy

Congrats f15wrencher on a successful draw. We will be hunting the same area. I was lucky enough to draw a any elk tag. ND bow hunter how do PM's work on this forum? I can't seem to figure it out.

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
On the far left of the screen left click on the persons name or "handle" and in the drop down there should be a Private Message click on that and write your message and hit send.
I see on your name no Private Message comes up. Can't remember if you have to set that up in your profile settings or you have to have so many posts before you can PM someone.

f15wrencher

I'm pretty sure you have to add me as a contact as well, if that doesn't work post another message!! Congrats on the tag rob boy!!

Creativity

As I read all the posts I noticed that this is the place to be! it seems like everyone here has been very helpful to the people in the past!!! So I come here to ask for help also I have drawn a cow elk tag for E2. I do plan to hunt some of the same areas that are posted here I'm hoping for a little more direction if someone could hit me with a little more information on where exactly to go or who to contact. I also can't seem to get the private messages to work. I look forward to feeling my once in a lifetime tag!
Thanks

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think you have to have so many posts ( 10 )? maybe before you can send or receive PM's. Could be wrong though.

Creativity

That's probably correct I don't know the answer but I'll keep posting in hopes that someone will point me in the right direction and maybe it will allow me to send private messages!

BrokenBackJack

Founding Member
Founding Member
Also check your sign up/log in info and see if there is a part to activate PM's.

- - - Updated - - -

Creativity,
There is a new thread started by Trapper about E2.
Might have to try PMing him or might have to post contact info on the thread.
Good luck!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 127
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85