E2 Elk - Location, Maps, etc

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was drawn for an E2 cow tag. Yes, cow. I know, once in a lifetime, etc, etc.

Anyway, I admittedly have not done much homework since I was consumed with planning for a CO archery hunt. I have summarized those exploits here:

http://nodakangler.com/forums/showthread.php?7521-Elk-hunting-the-hard-way

So I didn’t get to scout / archery hunt in ND. I’ve been reviewing mapping and such trying to figure out the best locations for a rifle hunt. I’m guessing anything close to the north unit of TRNP is popular, as is the Killdeer Mtn WMA.
So here are my questions:

- Do I need to be trying to find / call private landowners, or do I have a decent chance at success on public land, given I'm willing to put in the effort? -- I’m certainly not going to pay any land owner for access…

- The public / private land out there looks like a checkerboard. Do I need a GPS with downloaded public land boundaries on it to stay in the good, or are there other mapping options available?
Note: I do have a GPS and will be taking it, but it’s an old Lowrance and I can’t get the ND PLOTS stuff on it.

-Does any E2 elk hunter out there need another guy on their team that can carry a stout backpack and is handy with the iron?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a smart phone the onxmaps app is really good . You can look and see how much of Nd it covers

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you have a smartphone you can download the ESRI ArcGIS app. Search for NDGF, and select PLOTS guide. Export to favorites. This will give you the plots guide on your phone and utilizes your gps so you know where you are. Should be set unless you need landowner information. And you need service from time to time but I've found when you get on the hilltops you are good in most places.

PS: its free.

Last edited:

Bri-guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get the forest service map. It has much better data on the boundaries and trails to use in the grasslands.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
The large tracts of public land north of the Little Missouri and east of 85 will hold plenty of elk. If you're going out with the rifle opening weekend, get there a day or so early and figure out where they are feeding. Come opening morning, get to "your" spot plenty early, as this area tends to get a lot of road traffic that will push the elk deeper.....hopefully in your direction. PM me if you like and I'll send you directions.

Last edited:

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I smoked this guy at 325 yards.
There was 2 cows and 3 calves to choose from. Considering it was 2 miles back to the truck and I was by myself, I chose a tasty calf.
WP_20161007_015.jpg
F-er was still bigger than most deer I've shot.

The pack out by myself was not as cool, but I made it in one trip.
I could barely stand up straight, but the my Kuiu pack held strong.

WP_20161007_020.jpg

I want to thank ndbwhunter. He put me in the area, and local rancher guy put me in their kitchen.

remm

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice work, you definitely won't regret your decision on shooting a calf once you start cooking up the roasts, steaks, etc. That should be some of the best tasting elk you will ever have.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Awesome! Congrats!

I do have to ask though... why did you pack out the head? Euro?

I would have rather not. The thing must have weighed 30 pounds.
However, as I understand it, that's the law:

7. TAGGING REQUIREMENTS.

Immediately after an animal has been killed, the hunter must indicate the date of kill by cutting out the appropriate month and day from the tag provided with the license and securely attach it to the antler on an antlered animal, the horn on a horned animal or in a slit in the ear on an antlerless animal to prevent its removal. The tag, placed immediately upon the antler, horn or slit in ear, shall remain with the antlers, horns or head until March 31, 2017. After the antlers, horns, head, or hide have been removed from the carcass, the carcass tag shall remain with the carcass or processed meat until consumed or until March 31, 2017.

8. TRANSPORTATION AND STORAGE.

License holders must accompany their game animal, or parts thereof, (excluding hide) during transportation, unless a permit for the transportation of game is issued by the Department upon request. Game may be shipped by common carrier in receipt of proper bill of lading. An elk, moose, or bighorn sheep carcass must be accompanied by the head to the final place of storage.

Coyote Hunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see... #8. It appears different from deer. I cant believe they make a guy pack out the head. How many guys are actually doing that? I bet people knock the skull plate off of smaller bulls instead of packing out the entire head, but it states the head must accompany the carcass. So, a person could get in trouble for that.

Is this really what the NDGF wants... everyone to pack their elk and moose heads out? Imagine having to pack a damn cow moose head... just because.

With deer, you would just have to leave your tag on the head in the field. The carcass tag is for the meat in transport and storage.

Very interesting. Thanks for enlightening me SuppressYourself, I was not aware of this.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well if it's anything like my moose the game and fish required samples. Its nice to see a cow hunter actually get out and put some miles on. Most of the guys I know that got cow tags bitched about lack of elk but also never left the road.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yep, they make you cut off the lower jaw and mail it to them so they can age it. If you don't, you aren't eligible for any lottery draws the next season.

Like any other hunting, unless you're really lucky, you gotta put miles on the boots to be consistently successful.

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I see... #8. It appears different from deer. I cant believe they make a guy pack out the head. How many guys are actually doing that? I bet people knock the skull plate off of smaller bulls instead of packing out the entire head, but it states the head must accompany the carcass. So, a person could get in trouble for that.

Is this really what the NDGF wants... everyone to pack their elk and moose heads out? Imagine having to pack a damn cow moose head... just because.

With deer, you would just have to leave your tag on the head in the field. The carcass tag is for the meat in transport and storage.

Very interesting. Thanks for enlightening me SuppressYourself, I was not aware of this.

If I ever draw another tag I'm going to have to read the proclamation closer. Have always packed out the head as proof of sex. Maybe just leaving the bag on a doe or the jewels and swizzle stick on a smaller buck suffices as proof of sex. As a sidenote, on pheasants for example, has anyone ever checked to see if you can leave the gonads attached to the pheasants back as proof of sex instead of leaving the head attached?

- - - Updated - - -

Nice work, you definitely won't regret your decision on shooting a calf once you start cooking up the roasts, steaks, etc. That should be some of the best tasting elk you will ever have.

It's like shooting fawns. The eating is great. Only problem is there is less to eat.

Fly Carpin

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I ever draw another tag I'm going to have to read the proclamation closer. Have always packed out the head as proof of sex. Maybe just leaving the bag on a doe or the jewels and swizzle stick on a smaller buck suffices as proof of sex. As a sidenote, on pheasants for example, has anyone ever checked to see if you can leave the gonads attached to the pheasants back as proof of sex instead of leaving the head attached?

Spurs my friend. Gut and skin at your leisure. Leave a foot intact and you're good to go

Mort

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice you filled your tag, wish I would have the support from a site like this when I got my tag or even from someone who got one before me that wanted to help, I did the contact landowner thing and all I got was 'pay me first" then we'll talk, but also had one landowner that said I was next in line when someone else filled as he had reached his quota on hunters he lets in..never got the call. Never filled my tag. Now I gotta do an out state hunt if I want to elk hunt....

:(

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I only ended up meeting with two ranchers, and they were the opposite types.
Rancher #1 was more than willing to show me on the map every good spot he could remember on his land and on the adjacent public land, which was amazing considering he had his own gratis tag to fill.

Rancher #2 chewed my ass for 10 minutes for driving across 200 yards of "her land" to access public even though, a: There was a road there, clearly marked on the map, and b: it was on a section line.

Rancher #1 later told me that Rancher #2 thinks she owns the elk and charges $900 for a bull tag on her land.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 117
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75