Any Birders here?

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else not seeing as many birds at the feeders this year ? First I thought it was the warm weather but now that winter set in we should be seeing swarms of them.

MSA

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive had these merlins nesting around my yard for years. They like to play & jump around in the sprinkler.
13996126_10210083412342895_2842957474537045368_o (1).jpg

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Must be going to stay warm for a while because there is a red wing blackbird hanging around the feeder.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still seeing morning doves around various areas of Bismarck but haven't seen any robins lately

Ponyroper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm still seeing morning doves around various areas of Bismarck but haven't seen any robins lately

I thought I was imagining things when I saw a morning dove fly across the highway in front of me this last week but if you saw some too I guess it must have been one. It was way out in the country so it wasn't one of those collared doves you see around town.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Lots and lots of Bluejays in my sweetcorn that I didn't pick and on my giant sunflower heads.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member

I saw a flock of about 20 Robbins or so fly right over me today while hunting and thought it was strange! That's the 1st time I've seen them flocked up like that.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I was imagining things when I saw a morning dove fly across the highway in front of me this last week but if you saw some too I guess it must have been one. It was way out in the country so it wasn't one of those collared doves you see around town.

Most likely the mourning doves' annoying ass European cousin, the Eurasian Collared Dove. They don't migrate like the Mourning Doves, but I suppose there's probably a Mourning Dove or two that actually tries to overwinter in ND.

- - - Updated - - -

I saw a flock of about 20 Robbins or so fly right over me today while hunting and thought it was strange! That's the 1st time I've seen them flocked up like that.

The State Capitol usually has a flock of robins all winter.

Yeah, it weirds me out as well.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Maybe the birds believe in global warming and are going so stick around a little longer to test it out.:;:stirthepot

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Maybe the birds believe in global warming and are going so stick around a little longer to test it out.:;:stirthepot

I don't consider myself a birder but they are fun to watch and I think almost all critters can predict weather to some extent. Every year I tell myself I should keep wildlife and weather notes for the heck of it but I never listen.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are pileated woodpeckers common in your area of ND ? We have tons of woodpeckers but the first time I saw a pileated was 3 years ago and they have been seldom seen since until this fall and I think we have a breeding pair.

I have heard them , They sound like a 50 caliber gatling gun out in the woods when they are making hole compared to smaller woodpeckers This year they started coming into the feeder and they can eat 1/3 of a suit block in a couple of minutes, They are spooky as a whitetail but I am finally getting a few pictures.

wood pecker 1.JPG

woodpecker 2.JPG

I read in an old late 1800s or early 1900s local newspaper that someone had saw a woodpecker during the winter, It struck me odd since I have never known them not to be here in the winter.

bilbo

Honored Member
I have only seen one in the 10 years I've lived here by Grand Forks. Back home growing up there were many, but that was a wooded area. They are very cool birds.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
See quite a few every year - living on Red River north of Fargo.

They visit the feeders on occasion and yes, they annihilate the suet.

- - - Updated - - -

I think they require mature old growth forest w lots of dead/dying large trees.

Last edited:

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Twenty five years ago the house finches were numerous at the feeder but then disease took them out. They are just starting to come back now at my feeder. If you have a hanging flower pot they will nest in it.
DSC_8597-001-L.jpg

cache.php

I feed the blue jays PP Sport to keep them away from the sunflower feeder as they give the other birds no rest.

DSC_5050-001-XL.jpg

cache.php

Last edited:

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Not a birder here either but enjoy the show at the feeders,lately I've had a kestrel hawk ambushing the smaller birds eye balling the feeders from a apple tree,its amzing watching how agile these hawks are navigating thru tree branches and nail a small finch.robins still hangin eating the blue berries on my cedar tree's,looks like the few yellow finches that stayed are brown now.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
63733281-480px.jpg

Not much of a birder either, but I also have a couple bird feeders. I had a pair of cardinals around this spring/summer, and then one day one of these showed up...never had seen one before...Rose-breasted Grosbeak...had to use the ol interweb and look it up. Took this picture off the web, not one I actually took.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A few of those show up in middle of May here but then pass through. A beautiful bird. I think they like more woods than I have here on the farm.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 102
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 92
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66