Any Birders here?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was minding my own business as I usually do, and out of no where a bird of some sort whacks the window and I think I might have pooped a little bit.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was minding my own business as I usually do, and out of no where a bird of some sort whacks the window and I think I might have pooped a little bit.

You should really look into bird-safe glass. Oh, and don't forget, paper straws help turtles too!

Birds randomly hitting windows has the same effect on me....

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else noticing an abundance of birds showing up ? We have Northern Flickers fighting for territory and we haven't ever saw them up here before.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The birds heard about global warming. Need-less to say they are learning the hard way. LB

NodakBob

Honored Member
I live in the Missouri River forest, the peak of those migrating up the river was a week ago, but what a parade of every type of water bird! Pelicans we’re non stop for an all dayer…if only shooting cormorants was legal…

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother lives north of Bismarck near the river. He told me today that there are thousands of robins at his home. Constantly hitting the sliding door.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a few Robins and dozens of Juncos show up last week . Two days ago the Northern Flickers showed up, We had never saw one before and today there are 3 pairs fighting for territory.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Flickers here like I've never seen before. Like 1000's!
Took about a 25 mile tour along the Red River between Georgetown mn and Hillsboro nd along the Red a few days ago and damnnear EVERY single highline pole had at least one on it.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Funny that we have never seen one untill this year , we have quite a variety of woodpeckers up here.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ditto on the robins. Holy crap never seen so many at once. Had hundreds in my yard and trees in Minot all this week. Because of the weather it has been a very condensed migration this year. Interesting for birding.

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m not really a birder but I erected a birdhouse in my backyard today. Hoping purple martins find it to their liking.
IMG_8595.jpeg

db-2

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That yard is in Bismarck and not in the snow knee deep by the Candian border like it is here. db

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a birder either but I like the way you did your pole and your house looks great. I'm building one but went with a bigger house with air shaft in the middle for it to slide up and down the pole. I'm too stubborn, I told my wife I was going to make it out of some 115 year old barn lumber, bad plan. That stuff works for crafts but it's so warped and cupped that it's tough to make anything out of it. I'm not a carpenter either but have all the tools and I'm not a birder but I'm building a bird house ? Boy these long winters get to a guy. lol

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wife and I giggled when I told her when the martins take a look inside this thing they are going to get the giggles. They arn't fussy though , the first martin house we had was built in the 60s by my dad and the last few years it looked horrible. I'd patch it together to make another year out of it. It lasted till just a few years ago when I put up a new house. I watched too many you tube videos I got an itch to build one that wife or I can crank up and down the pole incase we get old some day. Wondering if I could leave it weathered and rustic looking or if I painted it white would it be cooler on hot days ?

Sluggo

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not a birder either but I like the way you did your pole and your house looks great. I'm building one but went with a bigger house with air shaft in the middle for it to slide up and down the pole. I'm too stubborn, I told my wife I was going to make it out of some 115 year old barn lumber, bad plan. That stuff works for crafts but it's so warped and cupped that it's tough to make anything out of it. I'm not a carpenter either but have all the tools and I'm not a birder but I'm building a bird house ? Boy these long winters get to a guy. lol
Thanks. Always a challenge figuring out a way to lower them. I put a 200+ lb counter weight on the bottom so I can just pivot it down. Course the house will tip sideways so I won’t do it during egg season. Will see how it works over time. I can’t take credit for the house, a friend built it years ago but moved away so I inherited it. I constructed from the house down :)

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
I live in the Missouri River forest, the peak of those migrating up the river was a week ago, but what a parade of every type of water bird! Pelicans we’re non stop for an all dayer…if only shooting cormorants was legal…
I heard the sea birds are supposed to be a Mormon miracle?...Anyone know the deal? Was a bit shocked to first see these birds so far inland. When I was little in the Hills; a bunch of seagulls were blown off course in a winter storm and ended up in the K-Mart parking lot. It made the paper.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
My brother lives north of Bismarck near the river. He told me today that there are thousands of robins at his home. Constantly hitting the sliding door.
Maybe he could stop this by doing a "Pulp Fiction" on a couple.

svnmag

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had a few Robins and dozens of Juncos show up last week . Two days ago the Northern Flickers showed up, We had never saw one before and today there are 3 pairs fighting for territory.
Juncos are a year round bird in and around Minot. About ten years ago I posted about seeing a robin in the ass crack of January...I found it strange. This time of year around my feeders you could see downy/hairy woodpeckers, white/orange breasted nuthatches, pine siskins, goldfinches, juncos, house finches, various sparrows and pheasant.

A few roosters should've been killed with a PowerLine 880 and converted into soup due to their aggression against hens during an ass-crack Jan/Feb/March weather event.

That is all.

1682219903321.png

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86