Any Birders here?

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
had a pair of bluejays in the yard earlier this fall

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a little boy, and first picked up a rock, I threw it at a bird. My brother was the same, but he had a BB gun. So ever since I could remember we tried shooting every bird we could. Dad told us not to shoot Robin's, but well, they were easy targets. I've thought about getting a feeder, but I'm not sure I could handle it. I can see myself putting it in the perfect spot to plink them off.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 3 or 4 pairs that winter at my place. I used to plant giant sunflowers that they just loved. I didnt plant any sunflowers this year but they love what ever is left in the sweet corn patch. They and the squirrels fight a lot over who get what. LB

skywalker

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have at least 4 Blue Jays around our yard. The grandson's like feeding them peanuts, but I think they almost prefer cat food more.

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
In the campground, the damn birds will clean out any dog food the dogs don't eat.

- - - Updated - - -

In the campground, the damn birds will clean out any dog food the dogs don't eat.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Once in a while I see what I think might be a Brewer's blackbird at the feeder , Last winter a couple of times and saw it yesterday again.
Does anyone else see them in the winter ? It doesn't eat , just sits there on a loaded sunflower head so that makes me wonder if it's a black bird , must see the other birds and just sit at the feeders for companionship.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you noticing any new birds ?

Martins, Orioles and hummingbirds all showed up at the same time this year along with some Rose-breasted Grosbeaks.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw orioles and rose breasted grosbeak yesterday. Lots of white crowned, white throated, Harris, and Lincoln’s sparrows right now too.

Achucker

★★★★★ Legendary Member
For guys around Bismarck. Have any of you seen the checkers running around town. Anyone know where they came from 16702.jpg

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
They are escapees from dog trainers. I think there are a couple of pockets of them in Bismarck.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think a horned owl killed my Coopers Hawk three days ago. I dont like the mess subversive make, so buy the shelled seeds. I don't know how many bags I fed this winter. The Redpolls about ate me out of house and home, and when the left the Juncos got into the feed. I think my winter favorites are the chickadees and the real tame little Red Breasted Nuthatch. I agree with KDM those darn Blue Jays tell everyone your in the woods.20220512_132427.jpg

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bout 10 minutes ago, I looked and the was a male and female RBGrosbeak,oriole,indigo bunting and a cowgirl at the feeder.
Seen first hummer today.

Prairie Doggin'

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Seems like buffleheads passed through pretty late this year. Saw a pair as recently as last Thursday. Not songbirds, obviously, but seemed odd to me.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What a swarm of Orioles this year, wife counted 14 of them at one time. I think that's the most we have ever had at one time . Seems like they gather up to replenish thier energy from the flight while they fight for territory and will soon spread out.

bucksnbears

Founding Member
Founding Member
Holy shit..., the birds are cleaning me out!
Awesome seeing so much color/species at on time.

honkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if it isn’t because the bugs really haven’t come out yet and they don’t have many other food sources right now

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I donno , I've never saw this many up here. In years past they've gathered up and hunkered down here, almost always show up on a rainy day and more than once they sat out a snow storm here but never in numbers like this. They keep coming, I counted 17 this morning and I'm sure theres more than that. I've only seen a couple hummingbirds so far and usually they outnumber the Orioles by a long ways but I'm sure they are intimidated by the wind and the Orioles. Another difference is so far I've only noticed one orchard Oriole so they really brighten up a gloomy rainy day. This is better than any fireworks show I've seen.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Still have an overwhelming bunch of orioles, it's common to count over 20 between all the feeders. we cut back on jelly and oranges so they drink sugar water. I found out how little I knew about Orioles when a real real dark brown one showed up. Turns out it's a male Orchard Oriole, The first one of those we've noticed. I only knew about Baltimore and thought the rest were orchards . I need to get some better pictures for better comparison but I think we are seeing most of these .

https://www.animalspot.net/oriole

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76