Any Birders here?

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not a birder but love watching them. I have numerous bird feeders i filll for the winter and this morning had a first in my back yard.
Had to look it up and found it to be a Male Yellow Shafted Flicker part of the woodpecker family.

I have resident Downy and yellow-bellied sap sucker woodpeckers that are here in my yard year round.
800px-NorthernFlicker-male.jpg

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
:;:thumbsup I just moved the feeding table up yesterday , Something I look foreword to every year.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a lot of pheasants that come picking up under the feeders right outside my windows daily and it is so funny to watch how different bird species interact.
The Yellow Bellied sap suckers and the Blue jays have HUGE attitudes and do not like any other birds in their space and are not in the least afraid to go after any and all other birds no matter the size including the pheasants.
I even saw a blue jay harass a couple turkeys in my back yard last winter.

Another funny is watching the Blue jays dive bomb the squirrels and poke em in the ass and see how many flips the squirrels can get.
But then is gets annoying listening to the Blue jay and the squirrels bitch at one another for an hour after that fighting over the feeders.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm surprised Blue Jays can fly with balls that big. They spend winters here and migrate out in the summer, I noticed they came back a couple days ago and one landed right by my window where the feeder usually is and made all kinds of racket. It sure seems like the summer birds migrated south earlier than normal this year.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wild, I think that's a northern flicker.

- - - Updated - - -

Nm. I need to read things thoroughly.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
When I was a young boy hunting birds with a modest pellet gun, the Blue Jay was an ultimate trophy. They are a smart bird.

P.S. I never hunted over bait.;)

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Don't like blue jays at all. They're noisy, belligerent, pains that I "encourage" to leave my feeders and go elsewhere. Worst bird to have hang around while trying to bowhunt.....EVER!!! But more on the subject, we have 4 seed feeders we put out all winter along with some fruit pegs and home made suet. Usually throw the last deer rib cage and spine in the tree as well. It's amazing how many different birds will feed on a deer carcass that doesn't get bothered by coyotes or other mammalian predators. By spring the carcass is light as a feather and totally stripped of anything edible, but the birds look good and healthy. (Grin)

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I put a suet feeder out of our dining room window. my almost 3 year old daughter loves watching and IDing the birds with me,
So far we have downy woodpeckers, hairy woodpeckers, white capped nuthatchs, black capped chickadees, various sparrows, Dark eyed Juncos, and once in awhile a blue jay.
Has become alot of fun for me and her. ill be putting up a seed feeder and some houses and wintering boxes before snow flies

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several nut hatches and sparrows as well. Several pairs of Eurasian Doves that are residents year round. Had to look up Dark eyed Junco, I think I get a spare on occasion but the Black capped chickadees are normal sights at my feeders too.

FishReaper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I didnt know what they where either. just a weird little dark headed bird. It took some digging in my bird books to find the lil sob. They never perch on the feeder but instead they clean up what the other birds drop on the ground. i guess they are a cold weather sparrow. summer months are spent way up north

We have a few pairs of doves in the trees as well as a snow owl that likes the pine tree out front

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighbor has a pair of sandhills off his patio making all kinds of ruckuss if he doesn't have feed out,they like cracked corn,they even peck at his patio door,seen the video,pretty darn cool.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
I watch birds a lot and am trying to get them to land on my head.

snow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Enslow,I wouldn't,next thing ya know they'll shit on ya...

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have several nut hatches and sparrows as well. Several pairs of Eurasian Doves that are residents year round. Had to look up Dark eyed Junco, I think I get a spare on occasion but the Black capped chickadees are normal sights at my feeders too.

You probably have more dark eyed juncos than you think. There are a couple of different regional variations and you'll see atleast three in ND. Slate, oregon, and gray-headed juncos.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
You probably have more dark eyed juncos than you think. There are a couple of different regional variations and you'll see atleast three in ND. Slate, oregon, and gray-headed juncos.
Been looking at juncos through different bird ID books I have and the net and Still come to the same conclusion they do show up on occasion but are not regulars in my yard, but on the other hand they may blend in with the sparrow herd and I just don't pay any attention to them, one just kind of goes tone blind to those lol.

camoman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Try not to do that, you can see some really cool little sparrows if you play close enough attention. The differences are sometimes very minute, but that's kind of what makes it cool to me, but yeah sparrows can get a little cumbersome.

Wild and Free

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just saw this photo on my wife's FB timeline from one of those daily inspirational quote sites she subscribes to, I find it a beaut and thought I would share.

14595651_10154647619853185_5059675197593034868_n.jpg

Last edited:

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Its all fun and games till that owl pecks one of her eyes out when she forgets to bring him a tootsie pop.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75