Any turkey success yet?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Filled my tag Saturday evening at 7pm. Shot with my bow using magnus bullheads. The shot was 15 yards. 7.5" beard and spurs were about .5"

attachmentphpattachmentid62stc1-1.jpg

Attachments

IMG_1141sm.jpg

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
nice bird! I have heard good things about the magnus bullheads and have been thinking of buying them for turkey hunting. Did you buy the arrows that they sell with them as a package deal? any problems with them?

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you trying again this year?

Sure am. Got drawn for a tag for the same unit. I'm going to try some different videoing methods.

I need to start getting things ready for it too. I have a couple of ideas I want to try, just need to put things together.

- - - Updated - - -

nice bird! I have heard good things about the magnus bullheads and have been thinking of buying them for turkey hunting. Did you buy the arrows that they sell with them as a package deal? any problems with them?

the magnus heads are great! Stand up company too. I was practicing with them on a really old block target and the arrow passed through and ended up with a bent blade. I sent the company an email on it and he said he would send new blades. This was just a week or so before season started.

The season came along and I still had the other head and got my bird. A blade got damaged from the slicing through vertebrae in the neck and I still hadn't received the other blades, so I sent another email to the company.

I got a response apologizing for the delay as things were backordered and a few days later, they sent me two brand new heads and blades!

The blades hold up really well unless you hit a rock (like I did when it went through the target).

He also gave me a couple of pointers for target shooting and a couple of things things to double check to keep the blades from being damaged when shooting a turkey. Since then I haven't had any issues.

I did buy the package that had the arrows and heads - my other arrows weren't long enough for my liking with that big of a head on the front. The arrows that come with them have been fine too and everything has flown great for me out to 30 yards. I have no desire to shoot at a turkey beyond 20 so that's good for me.

Last edited:

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try a new face mask, seems that one would scare some of them gobblers away.

dust in the wind

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would try a new face mask, seems that one would scare some of them gobblers away.

hahahahaha - maybe that's my secret for getting them in!

- - - Updated - - -

forgot I had even "doctored" the pics - back when the site was newly born.

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Found a field with 3 toms in it but by the time I worked around to set up, they and the hens had left for parts unknown. Having seen plenty of birds around the area, I stayed put and called every few minutes and after an hour I had a 6 pack of jakes come roling in and was gonna pass but thought, hey I can finish the boat... shot the biggest and after everyone took turns beating the man down I had a nice jake for the grill. 4 inch ish beard and weighed 14.7 after he was dressed.

savage270

Founding Member
Founding Member
No success yet, but having fun trying. I got both of my kids first time youth turkey tags in Unit 30. I've never hunted it before but I figured it was close to town, so we could get out as often as they were interested to. I sat in the blind with my 9 year old this morning and had 4 birds come within 100 yards before they hung up and lost interest. On Saturday my 11 year old and I snuck within about 50 yards of a flock before they busted us and took off. The kids are having fun though, so that's all that matters. Its great to see all the different wildlife out and about in the spring time. In addition to the normal critters, we've seen 2 herds of antelope and 3 whooping cranes all within 20 miles of Mandan.

Big J

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw a real turkey one time at Denny's Restaurant in Bismarck. He was a real jelly head.

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
0-2 the last two seasons hunting on public land
dont expect to kill one this year either but stranger things have happened
i have accepted their slyness from hearing every call out there and laughing at my offerings

Last edited:

NodakBuckeye

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was it an eastern bird? Or do you have merriams down your way?

He was a merriam's type I guess would be accurate, darker like an eastern but the buff colored tail

- - - Updated - - -

0-2 the last two seasons hunting on public land
dont expect to kill one this year either but stranger things have happened
i have accepted their slyness from hearing every call out there and laughing at my offerings

All mine have been on public ground, stay out later and as hens are bred they get a little easier to call in sometimes.

I am in unit 27, anyone needing some help, I can point you in the direction of birds.

Last edited:

Fishmission

Founding Member
Founding Member
My boy finally scored. Crawled a ways and used a hand held decoy plus my calling. Got on video. Fun time and got rid of the mini jinx of past 3 seasons.

image.jpg

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heading out this weekend. Was supposed to go last week, but had a sick kid at home. Hopefully luck is on my side.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77