Kifaru packs

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
would you post some pics that has me interested in maybe trying to build one my self

FWIW I am selling an Ed T cylinder Titanium stove...12" stove body model, with 3" pipe that I cut to 4ft. You'd need longer pipe for a Cimarron shelter. Currently asking $180 shipped and they retailed for 300 when he was making them.

And yes, Kifaru is worth it

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I saw that on Rokslide if only i had the 180.00 in the slush fund. you had some pockets for sale to didnt you

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
Standard pack lid in Highlander and one chamber pocket currently is all. The chamber pockets are really useful inside a Guide lid.
The standard lid is for the ounce counters.

dirtytough

Lots of straps that results in a bunch of tag ends flapping around. Not sure about load shelf but I really don't like throwing meat inside the bag. I would liked to have tried A Karifu pack that was built for my size but everyone I know that has them are midgets. , However they must be very good because they have a cult following. I almost went with the seek outside backpack because their tent and stoves are SWEET but decided to go with the EXO. I think all the top end packs Kifaru, SO, EXO, Kuiu, Stone Glacier are all well built and if they fit you correctly should really haul a load. Hell resale on Rokslide is almost retail price if decide you don't like it.

Careful what you read on the internet like this post right here. This poster doesn't buy a Kifaru because "everyone he knows that has them are midgets" yet the pack frame he bought is almost 2" shorter then a Kifaru frame. And I know guys that have got custom 28" frames made from Kifaru.

I have the new Kifaru hunter frame and like it for carrying heavy loads. I've tried lots of different packs and only one is as good/better then the Kifaru. So far I've packed out 2 elk and 3 deer with it this year. It is holding up well and comfortable

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I called and talked to Aron Snyder at kifaru and i am going with a 24" duplex with the composite stays the reckoning bag and medium belt pouch. Going to get the gun bearer and a water bottle pocket for the belt. All in the new ranger green. i wore my buddies here for a while and all i can say is it handles weight great.
Reckriflethumb.jpg

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
What kind of $$ are we talking for the set up?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
said and done around 750 ish

- - - Updated - - -

but i am at the point where if i would have just bought good stuff to start i would be money ahead.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
said and done around 750 ish

- - - Updated - - -

but i am at the point where if i would have just bought good stuff to start i would be money ahead.

I wish my Eberlestock just one pack was detachable and would attach to Kifaru pack frames. I like the pack but when it gets loaded with meat in rough country it is heavy on the shoulders. I have had mine loaded to 150 lbs several times with elk meat and it was not fun to balance. I also used it to pack out quite a few mule deer 75-95 ibs which works great. I like the pockets and compression straps on the Eberlestock too. If buying a pack today I would probably cry once and get the Kifaru system but we buy the best available at the time or what we can afford. There is nothing wrong with Eberlestock it has its boundaries and serves its purpose.

labhunter66

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think 150 lbs in any pack is going to cause some difficulties with balance and such. High quality packs may help some but 150 lbs is a difficult load no matter what pack you use.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wish my Eberlestock just one pack was detachable and would attach to Kifaru pack frames. I like the pack but when it gets loaded with meat in rough country it is heavy on the shoulders. I have had mine loaded to 150 lbs several times with elk meat and it was not fun to balance. I also used it to pack out quite a few mule deer 75-95 ibs which works great. I like the pockets and compression straps on the Eberlestock too. If buying a pack today I would probably cry once and get the Kifaru system but we buy the best available at the time or what we can afford. There is nothing wrong with Eberlestock it has its boundaries and serves its purpose.

I put 80 in the j34 and 80 in the kifaru I tried on and the comparison is night and day. I sold my j34 for 180 and saved . Right now some good deals on used packs on rokslide to. Did you pack out two hind quarters at once that is some serious weight. Your shoulders must have been shot after that.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I think 150 lbs in any pack is going to cause some difficulties with balance and such. High quality packs may help some but 150 lbs is a difficult load no matter what pack you use.

It was definitely overloaded it did handle it. I wont do it again as my knees hurt bad for a month. One elk we packed out in a storm and the other was at night and we didn't want to go back for another trip. It will handle a boned out mule deer with horns and cape just fine if you don't have to do a lot of uphill walking.

- - - Updated - - -

I put 80 in the j34 and 80 in the kifaru I tried on and the comparison is night and day. I sold my j34 for 180 and saved . Right now some good deals on used packs on rokslide to. Did you pack out two hind quarters at once that is some serious weight. Your shoulders must have been shot after that.

We boned some of it out and cape and horns with 1 guy had 2 trips and I had one on each bull as I stayed behind and cape them cut off horns and got meat cut up. I wouldn't do it again as by knees hurt for a month after that. I thinking you are making a wise choice on the Kifaru. There are lots of people that sell things like that after using them a few times or never using them. It is nice to wait patiently behind them and buy their leftovers.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
The pack arrived on Friday so yesterday I loaded it with the load out for elk hunting went for a few mile walk in knee deep snow and the pack is everything I was expecting. Weighed the pack it was right at 45 so nothing crazy. Threw 70 pound sand bag in it and my shoulders felt like they did when I started after a mile. It is amazing with just little tweaks how you can transfer weight exactly where you want it. Is it October yet!!!

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got any pics of the setup? I'm looking to get a kifaru pack also. Just haven't decided on what one yet.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will get some for you and post them up. I have the reckoning pack look on YouTube there are some good vids on it

JUSTWINGNIT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks! That is the same pack and color I have been looking at. Crazy. From everything I've read the only way to go is Kifaru. I have a badlands 2200 and am not a fan of it at all!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
they are spendy but the the only way to carry stuff with more comfort would be a horse

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
well another reason i like Kifaru son of the president being a hunter is not a bad thing

dtj kifaru.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 113
  • This month: 104
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 73