DIY Duracoat - It can be done

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it looks nice but I am a Ford guy now.

★★★★★ Legendary Member
A friend of mine and I just finished an AR for my buddies daughter. I think she's gonna love it when give it to her.

DSC03356.jpg

HolePuncher

QUESTION.... would you use this same kind of paint for a fishing rod. Wife needs a purple rod, but if that's what it takes for more time fishing that's what I will do. Thought I get some expert advise so it's done the right way the first time.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I don't think I'd go through the hassle for a fishing rod. Just rough it up with some fine sand paper, tape off the guides and handle, and spray it with spray paint. Probably won't last forever, but easy to touch up.
Another idea: I think the St Croix "Mojo Bass" rods are fairly inexpensive and already have purple on them.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had a crazy purple neighbor, she had purple everything, including their GD house, ugliest MoFo for a thousand miles. I can believe we were able to even sell our house with that shit show in the neighborhood

- - - Updated - - -

Secondly, I now hate purple, except Vikings purple of course

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my boat prop off to put a new hub in it. Decided to paint it.
Note: The Duracoat "stainless steel" color will not make an aluminum prop look like a stainless one. It's pretty much just silver. It does look a bit better though:

WP_20180209_001.jpg

WP_20180215_002.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I also painted my Desert Tech and a few AR-10 barrels.

WP_20180217_001.jpg

WP_20180217_003.jpg

WP_20180218_002.jpg

WP_20180224_008.jpg

WP_20180224_009.jpg

WP_20180224_013.jpg

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suppress, Where are you buying the duracoat from? Also, if you're doing anything else, do you mind if I sit in on the mixing/cleanup process?

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have been offering duracoat as part of my business for a little while now. It can however be done with the rattle can version if you are a diy guy. A good airbrush and some artisitic abilities are helpful. I cut most of my own stencils unless really complicated. The durability has been great.

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
Suppress, Where are you buying the duracoat from? Also, if you're doing anything else, do you mind if I sit in on the mixing/cleanup process?

You can get it directly from www.duracoat-finishes.com, but
I usually get it from either Brownells or Midway because the shipping is cheaper, although they don't have all the colors.
I don't have any more paint projects planned right now, but mixing is pretty simple. It comes with hardener in a separate bottle. Just mix it 12:1. I do it by tablespoons, so one tablespoon of paint to 1/4 teaspoon hardener. I mix it right in the airbrush bottle by shaking it a bit. I have not mixed any colors yet as I find the out-of-box ones acceptable.
Cleanup is super easy too. Just a bit of lacquer thinner works great.

- - - Updated - - -

I have been offering duracoat as part of my business for a little while now. It can however be done with the rattle can version if you are a diy guy. A good airbrush and some artisitic abilities are helpful. I cut most of my own stencils unless really complicated. The durability has been great.

I have a cheap airbrush and am not artistic at all, but I can run a stencil :)
Kudos to you for offering dura-coating as a service. I don't think I could ever do that. It takes me too long and therefore would cost a fortune.

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member

Dirty, I've got a rifle stock that you can use as a "test" if you want. Thinking about the Kuiu vias pattern.

Wrkn2hunt

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dirty, I've got a rifle stock that you can use as a "test" if you want. Thinking about the Kuiu vias pattern.

I actually just looked at doing that pattern for a guy. I have 2 stocks now one getting Sitka optifade and the other getting Sitka subalpine. curious myself how they will turn out!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member

I have the stock off my remington for a test subject too. I, too, like the kuiu pattern for myself. The stencil kit may have been in my shopping cart a couple of times.

- - - Updated - - -

Doing anything special for curing? Air dry a few days?

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
- - - Updated - - -
Doing anything special for curing? Air dry a few days?

The regular Duracoat is air dry. It dries crazy fast, at least if you're putting it on in light coats with an airbrush. -- Like you can touch it a minute or two later. I let mine sit for a few days before reassembling. They say it takes 30 days to "fully cure", but I've certainly shot mine long before then.

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thank you. Look forward to trying it out. Now I just need huffranger to buy the duracoat. I thought my paint was expensive.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 167
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105