Ice Rod Storage

RRmaniac

Established Member
I am currently searching for new way to store my ice rods.
Right now I am just throwing them in a five-gallon bucket. Anybody have any good compact ways to store 8-10 ice rods?

thriller1

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use one of those "Plano" double sided gun case. The only downside is I have to fold down the crank handle on the reel so the case snaps shut

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been using one of my old soft side thick foam gun cases the last few years. I can get 6 in there I think and a small tackle box. Not as good as a hard case but I'm usually not bombing my way across the ice.
Also I was at Fleet Farm and looked at a new Eagle Claw case for like $50 that looks pretty good.

- - - Updated - - -

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/eagle-claw-ice-rod-case/0000000233536

Lapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure there is a good way to do 8-10 rods in one case. I don't do more than 4 in a case without them getting all tangled up. So I have two smaller cases with 4 each.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am not sure there is a good way to do 8-10 rods in one case. I don't do more than 4 in a case without them getting all tangled up. So I have two smaller cases with 4 each.

Same here. As much as I'd love to be able to take all my rods in one box, it's just easier to keep four in a pack. Less tangles. Less headache. Then I have them split between my walleye rods and panfish rods. So if I'm only targeting one, I can leave half my arsenal in the truck.

Enslow

Founding Member
Founding Member
Otter makes a nice case that I have for my rods. It takes up quite a bit of room but is a very good case and holds up to 5 rods and reels assuming you aren't using summer sized reels.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
I just posted this in the Winnipeg gear forum but he is my opinion again:

424245_ts.jpg
I use this and really like it. Was originally looking at the otter hard case but wanted something with lots of storage pockets. This clam case is quite rigid but not hard (like after a long night of drinking whiskey). I like it other than the ugly color. At the end of the season last year cabelas had the exact same thing only black with their logo and about half price.​

RRmaniac

Established Member
I am planning on purchasing 2 that hold 4-5 each. Still haven't decided on what style. Thanks for the feedback. Also, I am using just normal ice spinning reels.

- - - Updated - - -

I use one of those "Plano" double sided gun case. The only downside is I have to fold down the crank handle on the reel so the case snaps shut
That is what I am trying to avoid.

Jigaman

Founding Member
Founding Member
BTW, they make two versions of the clam (single and double)

9551_clam_single_sided_rod_locker_v2_2.jpg

9552_clam_double_sided_rod_locker_v2_2.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

I have the single and 4 rods fit in there nicely.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had mine in a 5 gallon pail too, then went to a soft sided bag with a PVC tube for the rods, might have been eskimo brand. But now with the Polaris Ranger, it has a dozen rod holder holes in the sides of the box, works perfect for keeping the little rods organized and quickly accessible.

Buckets, straps, and holes...its an ice fishermans dream rig.

Bfishn

Founding Member
Founding Member
It looks like the red/black scheels case will be half price starting tomorrow. It's not a bad case at that price $40. I also have an otter box. They both have there pros/cons. The scheels is deeper and comes with Velcro strips. The otter is longer and more rugged.

greybeard

Founding Member
Founding Member
I run a Croxton Pond that I've had for probably 5-6 years and love it. I can stuff 8 rods in the main compartment and 2 more in one of the side pockets. Tangling was an issue at first then I started using the Cabela's rod sleeves, problem solved. The plastic mesh ones from Clam and Scheels work alright but I'm much happier with the nylon Cabela's covers, they're just more durable. IMHO the hard side cases just don't have the room or extra pockets that the bag style have.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fish...storage/_/N-1106033/Ns-CATEGORY_SEQ_111204180

- - - Updated - - -

I am currently searching for new way to store my ice rods.
Right now I am just throwing them in a five-gallon bucket. Anybody have any good compact ways to store 8-10 ice rods?

I think this might suit your needs perfectly.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/fishing/ice-fishing/ice-tackle-storage%7C/pc/104793480/c/104735880/sc/111204180/cabela-s-deluxe-12-rod-ice-rod-bag/2005455.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fice-tackle-storage%2F_%2FN-1106033%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_111204180

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 135
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 85