guided hunt

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wonder where you guys have gone in Canada for a bear hunt? I did a MN hunt about 3-4 yrs ago. I did have a great experience. I was just thinking of trying an area where there would be bigger and more color phase bears. Im in northeast SD so would prefer reasonable driving distance if possible.

Question 2. Has anyone ever done a guided deer hunt? I have been tossing this around too. I've killed tons of deer in my days and some solid ones too but never a real dandy. With my job and no real great access I often run out of time. I would like to explore the idea a little. I guess I have done some research and see that they are crazy spendy so maybe i'll never go that route. Mostly just curious.
thanks for Ideas on both.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you looking to hunt over bait and sit on stand or hunt our west spot and stalk. Cant help with whitetail hunts as sitting on stand for hours is akin to pulling nose hairs out one by one but i would go with shockey in saskatoon if i did do it

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
well I think I'd do either for bear. As mentioned, job will only permit a few days to accomplish goal so not sure how far I could travel.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it is that short time i would go over bait and other than maybe some where close in canada Minnesota might be the only option. If i going out west spot and stalk i would have at least 5 days for hunting so that is out. Most deer hunts are 7 days also

gst

Banned
Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.southshorelodge.net/

John is a good friend of ours and you would enjoy your time with him. Lots of repeat customers and if you have young kids he really enjoys family hunts. He is big on family. Lots of bears different color phases. I shot a blonde (looks like a little grizzly), youngest son shot a black and oldest son shot a cinnamon. There are large bears and he has recently gotten some new areas that had not been hunted for several years so the potential for a really good bear exists.

The last hunt I was sitting with my youngest son who was 13 at the time and a HUGE boar that would not come in walked/waddled into the open at 90 yards. The kid was not tall enough to see over the bush and see the bear even when he was standing on my feet. Tried holding him up and he could see but not steady enough for a shot. Hated to watch that one walk back into the bush.

Has a great lodge or the hotel in Winnipegosis. But he is booked each year so might be a wait. He comes to the Minot sport show with his booth.

There are some damn big bucks there, but that is tough hunting up there and deer hunting is not his primary guiding deal. Shoulda woulda coulda killed a 203 nontypical if I had understood where John wanted me to be (tracks crossed 25 yards away in the open) . He has an uncanny sense about where the deer will travel to in the bush. Fella killed him a couple days later after we left. Got some MONSTER sheds from up there.

We always look forward to our trips up there.

- - - Updated - - -

It's about 51/2 hours up from the border north of Minot.

Last edited:

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
i read that right 2500 fully guided only thing you have is travel expenses? That seems like a hell of a deal to me

cooter00

Founding Member
Founding Member
Rainbow lake Lodge in northern Ontario is awesome fish walleye bass and Pike in the morning stand hunt in the Afternoon excellent service and really nice owners I had a great time me and my brother both harvested 200+ lb bears and caught lots of fish.

arrowdem

Founding Member
Founding Member
i was just coming on here to say south shore lodge too. John and his family and staff are absolutely second to none. i also highly highly recommend them but as far as getting a tag im not sure he gets a lot of return customers so getting in there i have heard is not the easiest deal but that would be my suggestion also

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've been on allot of bear hunts.
My advice to you is if your only planning on going one or two times pay the extra money and go some place with some giant bears.
This will mean more remote, like anything it takes age to grow big bears.

Your not going to kill a 10+ year old bear hunting a place that puts hunters week after week, year after year on the same stands.
Ask to look at pics from the last year or two, the past is the past. Ask to see trail cam pics of their biggest bears that didn't get killed.
Good luck!

And you can go on some really good deer hunts in the Midwest for not allot of money as well.

Buckmaster

Founding Member
Founding Member
check out hunt the outback in northern saskachewan. great place great guides great deer and bear and 13 hour drive from jamestown. jim shockey hunts just to the east of their land so it cant be too bad. i think they have around 140 sq miles of land where the timber and farmland meet

- - - Updated - - -

check out hunt the outback in northern saskachewan. great place great guides great deer and bear and 13 hour drive from jamestown. jim shockey hunts just to the east of their land so it cant be too bad. i think they have around 140 sq miles of land where the timber and farmland meet

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I want to go on a bear hunt so I can make bear sandwiches. Gonna get me some bear sammiches.

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I ate ostrich once, they say its less fatty, so you can eat more of it.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
http://www.wolfcreekhunting.net/index.html

Have gone here the past 2 years. In my mind the best whitetail outfitter in the midwest. Darris is very passionate about the deer and hunting, if you see a deer that he if familiar with he is able to go pick a shed off the wall of that deer from previous years. He deals with all experiences of hunters and will put you on deer. When I was in camp this year for 5 days, 7 of 8 guys got shots with bows at trophies! biggest was 170. The lodge is beautiful and the food is great! I have been extremely happy with him and he is reasonable too! no trophy fees either.
if you want pictures pm me

Founding Member
Founding Member
If I were you I'd look at Kansas, Indiana and Ohio.
Good luck!

bigv

Founding Member
Founding Member
I thought I'd bump this up. Think I finally have group ready for a CA bear hunt in '20, so we will continue to research. Just wondering if anyone else more recently has been to Canada for bears. Other outfitters to check out before we sign the dotted line? thanks
I have interest so far in Riverside lodge and southshore lodge. I should mention we are looking for an outfitter with above average bears. Seems like lots of places with nice bear hunting but inquiring if any leads on locations that may be better than the rest.

Last edited:

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I don't have anything more recent, but I hunted with Muskeg Country Outfitters. Dean was a great guide/host and had a lot of color phase bears. I'd go with him again if given the chance (by that I mean if the wife would permit me...).

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 164
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76