neutering a dog

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
U gotta understand that vets have something to gain by encouraging people to do this also, they are selling a service. kinda like the oil change places telling people to come in every 3k miles...
True, but it is nice to not have to worry about unwanted litters...
640_bob_barker_20050609_jantti_53049719.jpg

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think my lab was like 18 months when we did it. Probably waited a bit too long. He still has to piss on every mail box and every weed or clump of grass that is a bit taller than its surroundings. He definitely became less interested in other dogs and started listening better. As for energy, well, he's a lab, so he goes ape shit daily and in the field, he can't be stopped, even at 8 years old.
Unless you plan on studding, I'd say it's worth doing, if for no other reason, you don't have to worry (as much) if he gets out and roams the neighborhood.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I like myself with nuts and my dog with nuts. The biggest issue with spay or neuter is weight gain. It's not supposed to matter, but it does.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
While I suppose it is easier for them to put on weight if they're neutered, it's not like it's automatic. Like people, generally the way they gain weight is if they're eating too much and/or exercising too little. I've seen plenty of fat dogs that are not neutered. Neutered my lab at about 14 months and he is lean and muscular at 7 years old but I'm careful not to overfeed him and to get him exercise every day. As has been mentioned, unless you plan on breeding him it's cheap peace of mind.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
True, but it is nice to not have to worry about unwanted litters...

Mehh, unless there's now child support for puppies, this is not likely a concern of the person who owns the male dog.

Unless they own an unfixed female as well, then they're just dumb if they are going to run that risk.

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mehh, unless there's now child support for puppies, this is not likely a concern of the person who owns the male dog.

Unless they own an unfixed female as well, then they're just dumb if they are going to run that risk.

My thoughts exactly. Unless you let your dogs roam all over the country, or have an intact female at home, what's the worry?

Both my dogs still have their jewels. One is 4 and the other is 6. Lean, mean, bird-finding machines that snooze all day when not hunting.

There is no "quick fix" for behavioral problems that neutering will solve. I have heard it reduced the chance of testicular cancer, but then again they don't have their balls any more at that point....so....duh?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I know guiding it was a pain in the ass when there was a female in heat and it was like a heard of cattle following the female while the couple of dogs with out there nuts hunted. Having both unless breeding is plan in the future i will now not own one with nuts. The watering dish is where you see the fights between the guys with nuts break out

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have nutted all my dogs. They roam less, they don't pee on everything(as much anyway), they are less likely to fight, and like seven said, and Lycan showed, I would rather not see nuts...haha

ItemB

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vet recommended to get the pup neutered at 6 months, some say a year some say 18 months old. Not sure how long to wait to have it done. What have you guys seen for recovery times? Want to him to be able to go hunting this fall will be 6 months in 3 weeks.

man in the box

Founding Member
Founding Member
Six to ten months is what I've always gone with. They behave much better and don't lift their leg on everything. If you are going to breed the dog, obviously it's a different scenario. I would never own a male dog with the "boys" still attached.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Royce got nipped at 9 months.

He is still a major douche (aggression to other dogs), pees like a bitch, goes apeshit in the field, not an ounce overweight.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I waited 2 years. He muscled up in that time but is mellow in personality. I don't like fighters.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74