neutering a dog

FishSticks

Founding Member
Founding Member
My vet recommended I have Bernie's nuts chopped off around 1 1/2 years of age. He is now at that age and the hunting season is over so it's about time to get this taken care of. Has anyone noticed a change in temperament of drive once they get neutered? I've heard they are less energetic once you get it done.

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I would think the opposite would be true. It is with horses anyway. They tend to be lazy and lethargic with their nuts.

Kickemup

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have only had one male that I got fixed. His energy around the house seemed less but once in the field he was still the same dog. He didn't seem to worry about having to pee on every blade of grass after.

LOV2HNT

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had my dogs nuts nipped when he was about 18 months old, and his energy level didn't change one bit. Still a freak when he sees the gun being broke out or when I toss the chuckit and he will turn 9 in May. Hasn't changed his urinating habits...still has to piss on damn near everything he walks past.

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wouldn't expect to see any or much change in behavior.

bigbrad123

Founding Member
Founding Member
Probably not much different, but I'd say it's hard to know. Every dog is different. My lab didn't change much. Still full of piss and vinegar at 11 years old when he sees a gun or brush pants on.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had my dog done at 4 months it was great he never lifted his leg to pee and was never short on energy or over wieght. He made it 13.5 years. I will do it the same when I get another pup

Redmist

Founding Member
Founding Member
I was told by my vet to have it done between 6-10 months. I did not notice any difference in him at home or hunting. The only true difference I seen in him is he doesn't act like me at closing time when he's around other dogs.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Always had my male dogs done till this last one. Did some research and its not necessary, and can be bad for them. All of my dogs in the past had put on weight as they got older, not this one. Hes active and skinny, not aggressive or obnoxious about being uncut either. Id say dont do it unless your specific dog needs it. Hes 7 years old now and as thin and active as he was at 3...
20161128_204817.jpg

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had both my dogs neutered at six months, good thing is they never lifted their leg to pee on everything. Gunnar is 9 and still full of energy. At the vet last Friday he weighed 72lbs. I say if you are not going to stud him out, have it done.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=2]Possible reasons not to neuter your male dog[/h] Most of the following statistics come from a 10-year study at the University of California (Davis) Veterinary Teaching Hospital. The study was headed by Dr. Benjamin Hart and study results published in 2013.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
Neutering triples the risk of obesity.[/h] Extra weight leads to debilitating joint disease, arthritis, heart disease, pancreatitis, and diabetes.

Neutered dogs become overweight when owners feed the same amount of food as before their dog was neutered. Neutering, you see, changes a dog's hormonal make-up and metabolism so he doesn't require as much food.

Monitor your dog's shape as you feed him. Keep adjusting the amount you feed so he stays on the slender side, and provide plenty of exercise. Then your neutered dog will not become fat.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
Neutering increases the risk of a deadly cancer called hemangiosarcoma.[/h] Apparently the reproductive hormones (testosterone) offer some protection against this cancer.
Hemangiosarcoma is much more common in certain breeds, especially the Afghan Hound, Belgian Shepherds, Bernese Mountain Dog, Bouvier des Flandres, Boston Terrier, Boxer, Bulldog, Doberman Pinscher, English Setter, Flat Coated Retriever, French Bulldog, German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, Greater Swiss Mtn Dog, Labrador Retriever, Rhodesian Ridgeback, Rottweiler, Saluki, Scottish Terrier, Skye Terrier, and Vizsla.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
Neutering triples the risk of hypothyroidism.[/h] The loss of reproductive hormones appears to upset the endocrine system. This can result in low thyroid levels, which causes weight gain and lethargy. Fortunately it can be treated with a daily thyroid supplement for the rest of your dog's life.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
Neutering increases the risk of geriatric cognitive impairment.[/h] Old dogs can develop a form of "dementia" where they become disoriented in their familiar house and yard. They may interact differently with their human family. They may forget their training and housebreaking. Intact dogs are less likely to suffer this disease because the reproductive hormones are thought to help protect the brain.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
Neutering is major surgery requiring general anesthesia.[/h] Studies show that about 20% of neuter procedures have at least one complication, such as a bad reaction to the anesthesia, infection, abscess, etc. Fortunately, most complications are minor. Less than 5% are serious, and the death rate is less than 1%.
[h=3]
lifespan-sad2.jpg
IF DONE AT THE WRONG AGE, neutering increases the risk of hip dysplasia, torn ligaments, and bone cancer.[/h] Your dog's reproductive hormones help his bones and joints develop properly. If you remove those hormones too early, they don't have enough time to complete their valuable work.

• Early neutering causes the leg bones to grow unevenly. This leaves your dog more vulnerable to hip dysplasia and torn ligaments.
  • Early neutering makes a dog four times as likely to get bone cancer, a deadly cancer that mostly occurs in large and giant dogs.
The moral is.... If you're going to neuter, don't do it before your dog's reproductive hormones have had time to do their valuable work. And when is that? It depends on his size or breed, which is completely covered in my dog care book. Please don't neuter your dog before you read Chapter 10.

[h=2]So....should you neuter your male dog?[/h] Let me ask you some questions:
neutering-jumping.jpg
If your male dog is hard to control, increased exercise and Respect Training are your first steps.

1. Does your dog have any of these behavior problems?

• Does he mark (lift his leg) excessively?
  • Is he aggressive toward people or other dogs?
  • Does he mount/hump other dogs, or even your leg?
  • Does he pay more attention to other dogs than to you?
If he has any of those behavior problems, I would increase his exercise and begin Respect Training immediately. If that doesn't solve the problems I would add neutering at the right age.
2. Does your dog interact with a lot of other dogs? If so, neutering would be wise. He will be less inclined to pick fights with other males, less inclined to be picked on by other males, and less inclined to pester females in embarrassing ways.
3. Is your dog a German Shepherd, Irish Setter, or Leonberger? These breeds are prone to perianal fistula, and neutering can reduce the risk of that.
4. Does your dog have two testicles in his scrotum, or is one (or both) missing? Missing testicles are up inside his body. In a puppy, it's not uncommon for them to go up and down for some months. But if they have never dropped by a year of age, they're probably not going to. Since retained testicles can develop cancer, neutering is a must.
5. Is there a real risk that your male dog might hook up with an unspayed female? If so, you should definitely neuter him.
If none of the above applies to you and your dog, you might decide not to neuter.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neutered Herc as soon as I could and he's blown me away with his energy, drive, and enthusiasm. I didn't want any male traits to come about as I didn't want the hassle. Zeus (our pug) was intact and he marked everything, tried to hump every dog that came around, and made a fool of himself on a regular basis. NOT unlike many men. (Grin)

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
This is going to get good before this is over

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
my vet recommended i have bernie's nuts chopped off around 1 1/2 years of age. He is now at that age and the hunting season is over so it's about time to get this taken care of. Has anyone noticed a change in temperament of drive once they get neutered? I've heard they are less energetic once you get it done.

howthef$%#wouldyoufeel????

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
U gotta understand that vets have something to gain by encouraging people to do this also, they are selling a service. kinda like the oil change places telling people to come in every 3k miles...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74