neutering a dog

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sup with the old posts getting renewed. Read most of it, then saw my response, and now I’m all weirded out and drinking whiskey

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
One visit to Missouri Valley with my pup recently the vet recommended 12 months, the next visit another vet said 6-12 months. Previous dog I did it around 13 months, no issues nor much for noticeable behavior changes. Have heard of it taming the excessive humpers or fence jumpers, my pups have not been in that category to begin with so no real experience there.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
1A2BFB2E-B598-417D-800A-A8581E254BE8.jpeg

Maddog

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My thoughts exactly. Unless you let your dogs roam all over the country, or have an intact female at home, what's the worry?

Both my dogs still have their jewels. One is 4 and the other is 6. Lean, mean, bird-finding machines that snooze all day when not hunting.

There is no "quick fix" for behavioral problems that neutering will solve. I have heard it reduced the chance of testicular cancer, but then again they don't have their balls any more at that point....so....duh?

Really ?

When I had my male lab neutered he immediately quit running over to the neighbors (a mile away).
Seems to have solved that behavioral issue . . ..

gonefshn

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really ?

When I had my male lab neutered he immediately quit running over to the neighbors (a mile away).

I suppose now he needs a safe space and anti-depressants after the neighbor girls laughed at his missing balls. :)

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
mine quit running immediately too. when he was about 7 months he ran away one afternoon. found him 1.5 miles from home in the middle of a dirt field one early spring day (thinking feb) hot on the downwind trail of what was likely something in heat. thinking fox or yote really. fixed him two days later. he has pretty much never left the vicinity of the farm yard since.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried to find out online if neutering dogs decreases their sense of smell, becuase I know he can smell and track down coyote urine/feces in a open prairie just fine. Then he has to rub himself in it which this one time was also blood in it. Absolutely disgusting behavior will getting him cut diminish his sense of smell

Duckslayer100

Founding Member
Founding Member
Really ?

Seems like pretty drastic steps to solve a simple lack of obedience training.

- - - Updated - - -

But hey, if'n the dog didn't need 'em, guess it's worth the snip to not find him dead on the road.

JayKay

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sup with the old posts getting renewed. Read most of it, then saw my response, and now I’m all weirded out and drinking whiskey

This always gets me too.

What makes me chuckle is when I reply to an old thread, and then read that I'd already replied to it, 6 months ago, and replied with the same reply. trippy.

Captain Ahab

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have tried to find out online if neutering dogs decreases their sense of smell, becuase I know he can smell and track down coyote urine/feces in a open prairie just fine. Then he has to rub himself in it which this one time was also blood in it. Absolutely disgusting behavior will getting him cut diminish his sense of smell

Does your dog smell with its nuts?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
No he doesnt smell with his nuts, we had a discussion at work where this guy was trying to say that dogs lose some of their sense of smell when they are fixed. I suppose I could call the vet

zoops

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah that's kinda like saying your eyesight will go bad if you break your leg.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 74