Buy a Silencer

tman

Founding Member
Founding Member
For all of you that have suppressors where did you take your guns to have the barrels threaded? Anyone to avoid taking them to in ND? Also anyone who is just awesome to deal with and does excellent work? Approximate cost? I am thinking of getting one also and don't have any dealings with gunsmiths so just looking for good ones to take them to. Perfer the Bismarck area but willing to travel.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any recommendations on a something black and tactical?

.224 VAPR, pm me for the contact info, I've shot them all and this one is by far the best

- - - Updated - - -

For all of you that have suppressors where did you take your guns to have the barrels threaded? Anyone to avoid taking them to in ND? Also anyone who is just awesome to deal with and does excellent work? Approximate cost? I am thinking of getting one also and don't have any dealings with gunsmiths so just looking for good ones to take them to. Perfer the Bismarck area but willing to travel.

Don't know of anyone to avoid, Paul Hamers in Napoleon does a good job, one week turn around but if you want it sexy Chad Dixon at LRI in Sturgis is the best, 11 degree target crown, relief cut, the works.

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
+2 Love my VAPR

And I am happy with the Shadow TI also

Mr. Melton has a good thing.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
What'd ya get?

Silencerco Omega. It has its shortcomings but the combination of features and price point is hard to beat.

14oz and it will work on all my rifles .30 cal and smaller.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I am looking for a can that I will use anything from 17 hmr to 308. Any suggestions on brand?

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am looking for a can that I will use anything from 17 hmr to 308. Any suggestions on brand?

I suggest you figure out which is more important to you, a rimfire or 30 cal, and purchase one of those first, then save up and buy the other caliber at a later date....1 can for rimfire-30 cal is no good.

You'll need thread adapters, rimfire guns are threaded different then the 22-30 cals. You'll need different sights on pistols for example if you were to try to screw a big 30cal suppressor on to a Ruger sr22, the sights probably wont' clear the can. Just wont work good. Also rimfires are dirty and most good rimfire cans are made to be taken apart for cleaning, most 30 cal cans are not. Finally, for the price of some user serviceable rimfire cans ($300-350) it just makes sense to buy a dedicated rimfire can IMO.

Wildyote

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I suggest you figure out which is more important to you, a rimfire or 30 cal, and purchase one of those first, then save up and buy the other caliber at a later date....1 can for rimfire-30 cal is no good.

You'll need thread adapters, rimfire guns are threaded different then the 22-30 cals. You'll need different sights on pistols for example if you were to try to screw a big 30cal suppressor on to a Ruger sr22, the sights probably wont' clear the can. Just wont work good. Also rimfires are dirty and most good rimfire cans are made to be taken apart for cleaning, most 30 cal cans are not. Finally, for the price of some user serviceable rimfire cans ($300-350) it just makes sense to buy a dedicated rimfire can IMO.

My main use would be 17 hornet centerfire to 6 dasher. I don't want to buy multiple cans if I can help it.

Whisky

Founding Member
Founding Member
You'll need a user serviceable 30 cal can.....I'm not familiar with the options available but I'd suggest giving Dakota Silencer a call and see what they have to say. Or Silencer Shop

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Allot of Muffler shops are doing a $200 rebate now to help with the tax stamp.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's a .224 VAPR go for? I did a quick search but couldn't find a price.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be nice to hear from some of you guys that have been playing with these for a while what you recommend for brands and different cals. I'm waiting for my first can. I went with a trust and the Varminter 3.0 ( feel free to make fun of me if I made a bad decision) through dakota silencer. I went the 30 cal so it would be more versatile, even though I mainly shoot 5.56, 6.5 and 7mm. Is it night and day going from a 30 cal on a 22 cal to a 22 cal on a 22 cal?

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if this law passes if we will be able to trade and upgrade like we would with a rifle? I would like another 30 cal that comes apart so I can shoot 200 gr flat nose hard cast with gas checks subsonic. I am getting to old for law enforcement, but before I give it up I'm going to get at least one more at LE cost for my sniper rifle. That rifle is giving me .25 inch groups at 100 yards with 180 gr round nose at 1030fps. (Ten grains of Trail Boss.) It sure would be a lot cheaper to have fun with if a guy could shoot hard cast and then clean up the inside of the can. A flat nose would give better shock at low velocity than the pointed higher ballistic coefficient. The 180 sure knocks the crap out of a jack, skunk, coon etc.
Sight in with your favorite load at 100 yards
Scope 1.8 inches above bore
1.5 inches low at 25 yards
38 minutes of angle required for 300 yards
retains 365.9 ft/lb at 300 yards.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
38 minutes of angle required for 300 yards

Hahaha! That's pretty awesome.

So, the reasons I went with the Silencerco Omega:
- Lightweight (14 oz)
- Stellite blast baffle (much more durable than stainless steel)
- quick detach mounts
- widely available QD muzzle devices
- rated for 300 Winmag
- rated for full-auto fire
- top-notch customer service from an established industry leader
- cost of this model has come down quite a bit (about $200. According to my FFL, I got it for less than cost.)
- $200 gift card to be used on Silencerco's website (that'll pay for QD muzzle devices for 2 more guns)

Disadvantages of the Omega:
- The ASR QD mount can sometimes be problematic and loosen up. Sounds like it's a simple and quick fix, just bending a clip)
- the blast baffles are welded together into a solid core and a titanium sleeve is glued and screwed over the core. The sleeve is only there for aesthetics and for a place to put the serial number. If you try to twist the can when it's hot, sometimes it breaks the glue seal. (Sounds like most guys just use Rocksett to glue it again and no further problems persist). I don't know if this is really a disadvantage, though. Guys who have had baffle strikes report that they sent the can to Silencerco for repair and Silencerco just slips the serialized sleeve over a brand new core and ships it back. It's a 1 day repair and you get a virtually new silencer without having to re-register and pay another $200 and wait 6 months.

I went back and forth on getting a "serviceable"unit but I just can't be convinced it's necessary unless you're shooting cast lead.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ok, so now my muffler has been ordered and I need to start setting up rifles. I have a Rem 700 in .308 with a 24" heavy 5R barrel, 1/11.25"'twist. I'm going to have the muzzle threaded and install a QD muzzle brake. My question is: as long as I'm having the barrel threaded and hanging a 1 lb weight to the end of the barrel, should I consider taking length off my barrel? Maybe down to 21" or 22"? I'm inclined to leave the length alone.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I went in and picked up a Sparrow. They filled out the Form 4 and gave me the copies. So now I need to go get a passport picture and finger prints. The last time I did this was for my CC and the instructor literally took the pictures and did the finger printing. Can I just stop by the police station for this or another place that does it? I live in Richland County and need to send them a copy as well. Would like to have a 1 stop shop, but have never done this before so any insight is appreciated.

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yoby, thanks for reminding me why I set up a trust. Maybe you and bed wetter can get a 2 for 1 since he didn't do a trust either. I know of a free way (initially) for you to get your picture taken and fingerprints to go along with it.........haha

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yoby, thanks for reminding me why I set up a trust. Maybe you and bed wetter can get a 2 for 1 since he didn't do a trust either. I know of a free way (initially) for you to get your picture taken and fingerprints to go along with it.........haha

Ha... I want to pass the background check after my finger printing.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 168
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 88
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77