Buy a Silencer

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am wondering if anyone has an idea on wait times for the suppressors. It seems to have went into the black hole and not idea the timeline to expect it. Hoping to get it prior to my official move to SD.

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I received this e-mail from Dakota Silencer on Tuesday and it looks like a couple more months for me.

We know that you havebeen anxiously awaiting the approval of your purchase from Dakota Silencer. ATF wait times increased to a level that we could not have predicted, butthe good news is that your approval(s) should be arriving at our office in thenear future.

Our records indicate thatyour paperwork was submitted to the ATF on 12/20/2016. We are currentlygetting approvals back for paperwork submitted to the ATF between August 1,2016 and September 13, 2016. The good news is....we are finallystarting to see processing times decrease. Our best guess, at this point,is about 10 -11 months from your submission date listed above.

You can always call theATF for a status update by calling 304-616-4500, and choosing Option #1. Youwill need to have your serial number available prior to calling. If youhave misplaced your serial number, it can be found in your Trust or we canprovide it by calling our office at (605) 610-8898 or responding to this email. We also ask that you keep in mind that it can take anywhere from 1 to 4weeks for an approval to reach our office once it has been approved by the ATF. Also, the date that we submit paperwork to the ATF (listed above), andthe date that they "receive" the paperwork are two different dates.

We will contact you byemail just as soon as your approval(s) is/are returned to us. At thattime, we will outline your options for either pickup or delivery directly toyour doorstep.

We appreciate yourbusiness and your patience and know that once you get your silencer(s), youwill be hooked.

Sincerely,

Dakota Silencer
7511 S Louise Ave, Ste101
Sioux Falls, SD 57108

Kentucky Windage

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am wondering if anyone has an idea on wait times for the suppressors. It seems to have went into the black hole and not idea the timeline to expect it. Hoping to get it prior to my official move to SD.

I belive my wait was 10.5 ish months. I submitted the paperwork in June of 2016. I figured it would have gone back down to 8 months after the rush to beat the ATF changes.

- - - Updated - - -

Get your guns threaded now. There is no reason to wait till after you get it.

Shout out to Severance Shooting Solutions, his work and timeline was excellent.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
My paperwork was submitted at the end of Oct 2016 and I still have yet to receive.

I heard the ATF now has more staff processing applications, not sure if this is fact or fiction so maybe someone else can provide input, but if it is a fact, the wait times could come down a bit.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
The form 4 for the last can I bought was sent in on the 11 July 2016 and it arrived at my door in early August, went pending on 26 July 2016 and was approved on 16 July 2017. Wait times should get shorter according to some of my old gov't channels now that the pre 41F rush is over. Total BS that we have to wait a year and give the gov another 200.00 per tax stamp on a machined piece of titanium.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Reasons wait times will be reduced:
- the 41F glut has passed!!!
- The silencer industry worked with ATF to implement a barcode system to replace some of the manual data entry. This went on to effect a couple weeks ago. Even if your paperwork is awaitingg manual entry, more manpower has been freed up due to the new barcode system.

Reason wait times will NOT be reduced:
- ATF received a temporary "grant" to assist with the July 41f backlog. That extra manpower will be tapering off in September 2017 and they'll be back to normal staffing within weeks.

ATF cashed my check in late February of this year. I'm not expecting to see my silencer before Christmas.

Bonus info: I had my Rem 700 barrel threaded and a QD mount muzzle brake installed at Outdoorsman in Fargo. Accuracy has improved and I think it cost me $95. Turnaround was maybe 10 days but that was before G&F announced lottery results :;:howdy

Obi-Wan

Founding Member
Founding Member
I contacted the ATF this morning in regards to my application and was told they are presently reviewing applications from Aug 2016. What doesn't make sense is the ATF gal said my application was mailed in Feb of 2017 but my information from Dakota Silencer states they sent the application on 12/20/2017 two months is a big discrepancy so it looks like I may have a few more months to go. :mad: These guys are slower than the NDG&F deer lottery

Something must be progressing because I did receive an FFL newsletter from the ATF on 8-2

SupressYourself

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm not surprised. It probably sat it a big stack of mail for 2 months. Another kick in the nuts is that after you've waited all this time and it finally gets approved, it can take them a month to mail the approval back to your FFL. Wasn't the Internet and computers supposed to fix the inherent slowness of sending and processing paper copies of stuff?

sweeney

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fact that there is a waiting period and background check for a safety device is part of what is wrong with this world.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Received an email today from Dakota Silencer. States they are receiving approvals from paperwork submitted between Aug 1, 2016 and Sept 13, 2016.

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
To my great surprise and delight, I picked up my silencer today. Purchased in February, submitted my paperwork to the ATF in March. Only took 7 months. I expected 11-12. I now I get to deer hunt next month with a silencer. Don’t you wish YOU had purchased a silencer back in February when I started this thread and told you to buy a silencer? ;:;rofl

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
Jokes on you. I already have one deer season down with mine. It was an enjoyable experience.

H82bogey

Founding Member
Founding Member
Submitted my form 4 trust on 10/28/16. Received my approval email 10/2717. Should be roughly 14 more days before it's in my hand. Can't wait!!!!

DirtyMike

Founding Member
Founding Member
Decided to take a walk through the sportsman’s expo and happened upon the Dakota Silencer booth. Moral of the story, I’m $925 poorer.

Yoby

Founding Member
Founding Member
Brandon is pretty good. About 2 weeks ago stopped in to ask a question about moving from ND to SD and walked out with a very expensive shirt and another wait time...

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 91
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 78
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 71
  • This month: 67
  • This month: 66
  • This month: 57