Buy a Silencer

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think I'm finally going to pick up a silencer. Here's why...

Everyone is holding out, waiting for the Hearing Protection Act (HPA) to become law. Silencer manufacturers are sitting on a ton of inventory. Silencerco just laid off a bunch of people and they're offering a $200 rebate (to be used on their website).

Once HPA becomes law, demand will increase by x20 from the outset. Now you'll be waiting 9 months for your silencer not because of a tax stamp but because of demand. No more sales prices, everything selling at or near MSRP. If you already have a silencer sitting in "silencer jail" waiting for ATF approval, it gets out of jail when the law goes into effect.

Another provision of HPA gives you a refund of your $200 tax stamp if you purchased your silencer after a certain date.

So I want a titanium, .30 cal (can be used for many other calibers), quick detach, full-auto rated. I can pick up a Silencerco Omega for $750 shipped, +$120 transfer fee.

Last edited:

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an advanced armament 762-sdn-6 sitting in "silencer jail", i chose .30 cal for the .300 blackout that I built as well as the ability to be used on multiple calibers. I 100% agree with you, I wanted one with my name on it before that act passed and then I don't have to wait for retailers to get a supply in again after everyone else wants one. The suppressor I got, according to reviews, is supposed to be better on calibers such as 5.56 that an actual 5.56 suppressor.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When did this Hearing Act pass in Washington

Bed Wetter

Founding Member
Founding Member
When did this Hearing Act pass in Washington

It hasn't passed yet, still on the docket. However, it's being treated as a forgone conclusion, bipartisan support and all that.

Account Deleted

Founding Member
Founding Member
I do love having mine. Shooting is so much more enjoyable. When is that date for the possible refund?

Tikka280ai

Founding Member
Founding Member
so do you have to pay for the "can" before you receive it and get outta "silencer jail" or is it a pay upon pickup type deal??

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Bed Wetter you will really enjoy a suppressor. All I can say is a very smooth bore sure pays off with subsonic rounds. If you have a 308 Win with a 1/10 twist you can do anything a 300 Blackout can do by using Hodgdon Trail Boss. When you get it bring this up again and I'll give you some load data.
I shoot a lot of 180 gr round nose at 1030 fps. Some I load at 1000 fps so I don't brake the sound barrier at 6000 ft. I think I am going to try the 220 round nose. I shoot the round nose because they create a better wound at low velocity. I would like to pick up one of the new suppressors that come apart for cleaning so I could shoot a 200 gr cast flat nose.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you have to buy the suppressor before you can even apply to the ATF for the tax stamp. The forms need to have a serial number of a device on them which is the reason for that.

Edit: The tax stamp is $200.

Last edited:

ndlongshot

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will definitely be picking one up or two up after this passes. You might be onto something doing it now, but I guess for the hassle I will just wait until I can stroll in and buy one.

PrairieGhost

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yes you have to buy the suppressor before you can even apply to the ATF for the tax stamp. The forms need to have a serial number of a device on them which is the reason for that.

Edit: The tax stamp is $200.

Actually it's a IRS tax stamp. It makes no sense, but that's the way it is. I remember calling the Montana Game Fish and Parks and asking about suppressors. They said I could use mine, but I had to have my ATF permit with me. It's another tax evidently, not really a permit. Nuts isn't it? I'm not sure who approves it. Maybe ATF does. On the other hand how many know the IRS is the only agency that can search without a warrant. Maybe there is some scheme to this. Currently the address you give can be searched without notice. Many people use one of those storage rental areas for their suppressor address. I guess I have nothing to hide so I keep mine in my safe and coffee and cookies ready for anyone who wants to search.

Last edited:

huffranger

Founding Member
Founding Member
Every day you wait to start the process is another day without a muffler. I find myself only grabbing shooting irons that have threads on them. I don't miss the tinnitus at all.

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have an advanced armament 762-sdn-6 sitting in "silencer jail", i chose .30 cal for the .300 blackout that I built as well as the ability to be used on multiple calibers. I 100% agree with you, I wanted one with my name on it before that act passed and then I don't have to wait for retailers to get a supply in again after everyone else wants one. The suppressor I got, according to reviews, is supposed to be better on calibers such as 5.56 that an actual 5.56 suppressor.

Boy that's news to me, my cans are all titanium, made by Doug Melton at SRT arms and there's no way my dedicated .224 cans are louder than my .30 or 6.5 cans while shooting any 22 cal through it. To me, the closer the tolerance between the baffles and the round the quieter it is, while I don't have a .17 suppressor it is "Hollywood quiet" through a dedicated .224 centerfire suppressor and I really don't notice any difference when shooting that .17 through my serviceable .22 rimfire can. It's a slippery slope, I said I was done years ago when I covered .22, 30 cal and 6.5, now I have more than I care to say, you'll never shoot anything uncorked again.

sponsy12

Founding Member
Founding Member
Boy that's news to me, my cans are all titanium, made by Doug Melton at SRT arms and there's no way my dedicated .224 cans are louder than my .30 or 6.5 cans while shooting any 22 cal through it. To me, the closer the tolerance between the baffles and the round the quieter it is, while I don't have a .17 suppressor it is "Hollywood quiet" through a dedicated .224 centerfire suppressor and I really don't notice any difference when shooting that .17 through my serviceable .22 rimfire can. It's a slippery slope, I said I was done years ago when I covered .22, 30 cal and 6.5, now I have more than I care to say, you'll never shoot anything uncorked again.

Ha I got pretty deep into reading and researching that one, and that what some of the guys were saying. Maybe they didn't have much experience with it or theres some other reason but ti was more than one so it helped me lean that way. Either way I am sure there isn't going to be any disappointment with it, if there is I guess I will just have to get another!

USMCDI

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha I got pretty deep into reading and researching that one, and that what some of the guys were saying. Maybe they didn't have much experience with it or theres some other reason but ti was more than one so it helped me lean that way. Either way I am sure there isn't going to be any disappointment with it, if there is I guess I will just have to get another!

Yeah you're screwed once you get that first one, everything you own will get threaded!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 161
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76