Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got notice from seed co that my onion plants are to ship soon. Have to call them in morning because my garden is still under a foot of snow;:;banghead

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I will enjoy a late planted this tomato as much as a timely one, it’s neat how nature is smarter than algore

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine are just waking up!
20180413_072407.jpg

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I think I am going to plant some spinach this weekend not because I expect it grow, just because I am sick of winter

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Mine are just waking up!
2018-11-21.jpg

Looks like my set up. I start the seeds in small plastic tubs. After they have developed true leaves I gently move them into individual pods. If they are kinda spindly I just bury them deeper. Works real well with tomatoes.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get some tomatoes and peppers going, this weather and lack of room for more plants has been holding me back a bit... Maybe this weekend!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I need to get some tomatoes and peppers going, this weather and lack of room for more plants has been holding me back a bit... Maybe this weekend!

Just started mine today. I'm trying to cut back a bit but it's not easy!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any on grow blue berries i have found i like eating them alot and cant imagine how much better fresh ones are. I have a bunch of raspberries going are they about the same growing wise.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
19748825_1579657868750933_1522996879017551171_n.jpg
Ive got 9 or so plants, unfortunately they need to be kept in containers due to our basic soil. They do ok but might be more work than they are worth for most people. Honeyberry/haskap are similar but do well in our soil so you could look into those also.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have a few just waking up but been too cool in the basement where I grow transplants. I hate to heat the whole basement for a few bucks worth of seedlings.

Gunnar

Blueberries can be grown in ND. You just need to do ONE thing. Keep the soil PH at 5-6. Unfortunately, soils here are Alkaline and blueberries need acidic soil. So you have to make them acidic. I have 18 plants growing just fine. First, buy the right plants......Low bush. Most from the UN.of Minn.
all of these will grow here......I have 6 of these.
North Country, Northblue, Chippewa, Polaris, and St. Cloud. I also have Northland from Michigan St. and Patriot from Maine.

I use only rain water on them. Using two 50 gal rain barrels under 2 of my downspouts. Rainwater has a PH of neutral 7. Using a 2-gallon watering can I add a little Ammonium Sulfate and Miracle Grow for acid loving plants. Blueberries like a PH of about 5-5.5. To measure it.....you need to buy a roll of PH tape off the internet.

If you have to use house water or it still isn't acidic enough.....I add battery acid. 3-4 drops in 2 gal of water will bring it down to 5. But again.....check with PH paper.

When planting them.....dig the hole and place the plant in and fill with straight peat moss. I also mulch with pine bark which is acidic. So it takes effort, but it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
The fall garlic I put in is poking through the snow in the back yard right now. I have onion sets ready to go this week once this last round of snow burns off. Earlier the better I have found, they take a lot of cold.

Everything else is started and sitting above the fridge. Started later this year, seems like I was always way too early the last few years.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I tried in the ground for several years, it works for a while but eventual I got enough dirt/dust working it way into the amended soil that I couldnt keep the PH in the proper range and the plants started suffering. Id be interested in seeing pictures of your plants? How long have you been growing them?
Blueberries can be grown in ND. You just need to do ONE thing. Keep the soil PH at 5-6. Unfortunately, soils here are Alkaline and blueberries need acidic soil. So you have to make them acidic. I have 18 plants growing just fine. First, buy the right plants......Low bush. Most from the UN.of Minn.
all of these will grow here......I have 6 of these.
North Country, Northblue, Chippewa, Polaris, and St. Cloud. I also have Northland from Michigan St. and Patriot from Maine.

I use only rain water on them. Using two 50 gal rain barrels under 2 of my downspouts. Rainwater has a PH of neutral 7. Using a 2-gallon watering can I add a little Ammonium Sulfate and Miracle Grow for acid loving plants. Blueberries like a PH of about 5-5.5. To measure it.....you need to buy a roll of PH tape off the internet.

If you have to use house water or it still isn't acidic enough.....I add battery acid. 3-4 drops in 2 gal of water will bring it down to 5. But again.....check with PH paper.

When planting them.....dig the hole and place the plant in and fill with straight peat moss. I also mulch with pine bark which is acidic. So it takes effort, but it is possible.

- - - Updated - - -

Gunnar

I will wait until they leaf out to take any pictures. At this rate.....it may take awhile. My plants are on their third year. I have 8 here where I live and 10 more in pots ready to transplant next month at my daughter's new home. I moved last summer and dug all of them up to make the move with me.

Moved them into anything that they could fit in. 5 gal pails, wastebaskets, large pots etc. Planted the ones I was keeping and left the rest in containers.Then buried the whole pot into the ground. Wasn't sure if they could survive outside on top of the ground. So I will dig them up and transplant them next month. That transplanting puts some stress on them.

You have yours in pots?Anything special you do for them over winter? What varieties do you have?

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have patriot, bluecrop, northblue, reka and I think one more... I have them in 20gallon fabric pots right now and I didnt do anything special for htem over the winter so Im not sure theyll survive, this is the first year they have been kept out of the ground. They grew like crazy after being moved into the fabric pots from buried containers, hoping they live! I put them in an area where they spent most of the winter covered with snow, so that should help some.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
With the non-stop wind this last week my garden has no leaves except the onions, corn and potatoes. Production will be down for sure.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's still early. With a little luck it will recover. As warm as it has been the roots should be well established.

With the non-stop wind this last week my garden has no leaves except the onions, corn and potatoes. Production will be down for sure.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I lost a lot of new growth from my grapes over the weekend. They should recover but it will impact my production to an extent, Id say 20% broke or blew off. Lucky they are in my back yard and somewhat sheltered. Still getting asparagus, heres a whopper I picked yesterday!
20180610_163128[1].jpg

Herb box I built for the wife this weekend...
20180609_164145[1].jpg
20180609_212147[1].jpg
Grapes on pergola...
20180603_171120[1].jpg

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
How is everyone's garden progressing. I have been having some fresh radishes.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 134
  • This month: 116
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75