Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got weed issues also, most important is to keep them under control till the plants can compete with them. Next year Im going to put landscape fabric between my rows I think, it should help. I bought a big 4ft wide roll of heavy stuff online, gonna fold it in half and lay it between the rows, with rocks holding it down.

I've been laying fabric between the rows for years. It works. I used large nails and pins to hold it down this year. I never till between the rows. Not in the last 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The flame article is good stuff. I need to find a smaller wand for my flower garden.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
It works in wood chip or straw mulch too, I watched a video where a guy wet it down good and flamed away. In the Farm Show magazine a few years ago Canadian organic farmers were building great big ones and pulling them behind tractors.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I've been laying fabric between the rows for years. It works. I used large nails and pins to hold it down this year. I never till between the rows. Not in the last 20 years.

- - - Updated - - -

The flame article is good stuff. I need to find a smaller wand for my flower garden.
They sell small ones at Menards that use a 1#cly of propane and like a 3ft wand.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thought I'd post if anyone is interested in some nifty garden ideas. It has a little of everything , Some is impractical and some not but most is unique in it's own way. The horse exchange looks like a young man's game.

https://www.facebook.com/FARMSHOWMagazine/

https://www.farmshow.com/

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

The gardner from Nebraska that grows oranges has something pretty cool.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well seeing’s how the weather is supposed to turn to shit here shortly, I dug my batatoes ( as my wife calls them) and this is the biggest one this year. EB8ACECF-B984-409A-BA6E-C0F6BBC41763.jpgPlanted 30 hills and got 3.5 five gallon buckets.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^ Do your batatoes get hollow when they get that large? ^^^^^

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
No, out of all the potatoes I've grown, have never had a hollow one.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Got question, got horse radish I planted 2 yrs. ago, do I let the leaves freeze and die off or can I just dig some now?

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes when I’m home alone I like to go out in the garden and cover myself with dirt and pretend I’m a carrot.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^what guywhosmokesweed does after smoking weed!! Dame hippy skateboarder. ;:;rofl

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^^ then waits for somebunny to pull on his root^^^^^:;:thumbsup

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
hey now!

- - - Updated - - -

Got question, got horse radish I planted 2 yrs. ago, do I let the leaves freeze and die off or can I just dig some now?

is there any wild horseradish in the Red River Valley? I’d like to try to make some.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Thanks for the info, I remember when I was a kid, a older lady always had horseradish that she would grind up and I remember that it would knock your socks off but Mom would put a little of sugar in it to make it a little smoother, going to give it a try

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
From Little Minneapolis Forum
NDSU Extension Horticulture Don Kinzler:

Q. This is the first year that I've grown horseradish. When is the best time to dig it?—D. Larson, Bismarck, N.D.

A. Horseradish is a winter-hardy perennial like rhubarb and asparagus. Commercially it's often grown as an annual and replanted each year. Roots and shoots are carefully trimmed and side-pruned to produce single large-diameter roots for ease of handling and commercial peeling instead of numerous smaller-diameter branched roots.

Most of us who enjoy growing horseradish in the garden grow it as a perennial, locating it at a side or corner of the garden where it can remain in a permanent spot. Because much of its root enlargement occurs in late summer and fall, horseradish is best left in the ground until after several hard frosts, but before the ground freezes solid. Late October is usually good.
The deep roots of horseradish make it possible to dig and harvest the main root, leaving enough root intact underground to rebound next spring. For good measure, I usually replant a pencil-sized side root back into the hole after digging, just to be sure I didn't remove the whole root system.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was definitely kinda fun growing mini pumpkins in a trellis type setup. Definitely have to expand on it more next year and see how far a guy can take it.

20181002_094406.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Those little pumpkins can also be a money maker before halloween and thanksgiving. Woman go nuts for them.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was definitely kinda fun growing mini pumpkins in a trellis type setup. Definitely have to expand on it more next year and see how far a guy can take it.

462B07D2-5724-499D-964D-5662F0A51C2E.jpeg

I like that setup, we have a trellis choked with some kind of vines, and the nearby chain link is full too. Wondering how best to transition to the pumpkin deal. Cut away the old? Not sure how long it took to get the way it is, as it was here when we moved in 7 years ago.

- - - Updated - - -

I harvested the final garden carrots yesterday. Got about a pail full, more than I expected. I now have first hand knowledge of why thinning is important. Hopefully I will be able to garden next season, as the primary goal was to be more active. I learned alot, like how to eat so many zucchini, that potatoes need to be deeper, to pick peas daily. I found a ruhbarb plant in the corner, did not harvest anything, and I am wondering what do do with it at this stage? leave it alone, cut it back with a tool, pull all the stalks?

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sometimes when I’m home alone I like to go out in the garden and cover myself with dirt and pretend I’m a carrot.

can you tell me if it is cold enough to get mine out of the ground yet??? may need a thermometer and wait as long as i can this year...sweetens 'em up don't ya know

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
can you tell me if it is cold enough to get mine out of the ground yet??? may need a thermometer and wait as long as i can this year...sweetens 'em up don't ya know

You can leave the carrots in until you think the ground is going to freeze. I like to pick them as late as possible. Free storage.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 153
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 79