Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
20190129_155223.jpg

20190210_135414.jpg

20190223_171432.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone get Lycans Aronia picture to open or is the problem on my end ?
Strange, I can see them fine, something about editing posts I think with pictures...

- - - Updated - - -

Did anyone get Lycans Aronia picture to open or is the problem on my end ?
Strange, I can see them fine, something about editing posts I think with pictures...

https://nodakangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42057&stc=1&d=1551285522
https://nodakangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42058&stc=1&d=1551285549
https://nodakangler.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=42059&stc=1&d=1551285576

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking good Lycan, What variety aronia and where did you get seeds ? My wifes had some that I think her sister gave her but we found out they they were the less desirable variety of the two so they didn't see dirt.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Looking good Lycan, What variety aronia and where did you get seeds ? My wifes had some that I think her sister gave her but we found out they they were the less desirable variety of the two so they didn't see dirt.

These are Mackenzie, I got them from berries a guy I know grew last summer near menoken. Im also having someone send me some branches from Viking Im going to attempt to root. Evidently most varieties of aronia are fairly similar...

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
These are Mackenzie, I got them from berries a guy I know grew last summer near menoken. Im also having someone send me some branches from Viking Im going to attempt to root. Evidently most varieties of aronia are fairly similar...

According to a contractor that subcontracts producers to grow for them they are after a certain variety , I forget what that variety was but I was ready to get into the berry business at one time and other things got in the way That was a few years ago now. There was an aronia grower online back in the fishing buddy days but I can't remember who it was. Looks like you are on your in your glory now that you can expand to your new ground. Good luck and have fun while your still young, An aronia harvester would be fairly simple to build .

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
According to a contractor that subcontracts producers to grow for them they are after a certain variety , I forget what that variety was but I was ready to get into the berry business at one time and other things got in the way That was a few years ago now. There was an aronia grower online back in the fishing buddy days but I can't remember who it was. Looks like you are on your in your glory now that you can expand to your new ground. Good luck and have fun while your still young, An aronia harvester would be fairly simple to build .

Not so young, I should probably do some research before planting commercial quantities I suppose. I think the most common varieties are nero and viking.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tried any of these electronic testers and is the fertility anywheres close to accurate ? There are quite a few models, Some have probes and some have a capsule you fill with soil. They look handy if the nutrient analyzer is anywhere close to accurate.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FGPLZZS/?tag=nodakangler10-20

81zzEi6OvNL._SL1500_.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Would make it easier to start out a little light on fertilizer then give it another boost once plants get bigger .

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Too you grape guys, if I wanted enough grapes for making jelly for myself how many vines would I need.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends a lot how large you let your vines grow. They need annual pruning, I take off roughly 90% of the new growth every spring before they start again. Also variety, soil fertility etc plays a part. Id guess you could expect 10lbs/vine but 20lbs/vine is very possible if they are well cared for.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Depends a lot how large you let your vines grow. They need annual pruning, I take off roughly 90% of the new growth every spring before they start again. Also variety, soil fertility etc plays a part. Id guess you could expect 10lbs/vine but 20lbs/vine is very possible if they are well cared for.

Depends how many days a week you eat jelly and how thin you spread it . :;:stirthepot To be safe make plenty and gob it on and share some with the Orioles in the spring.

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I'm no authority on grapes but have propagated many from cuttings and it is easy and cheap. Just google "grapes from cuttings". I used half gallon paper milk cartons for each vine and when they were ready to transplant just slid the vine and dirt out the bottom of the carton so there was little root disturbance.

Anybody have variety recommendations for raspberry, strawberry and asparagus? My asparagus is transplanted from the wild and I'd like to get something with bigger shoots.

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I think it was a Jersey surpreme i got from runnings the last few years and i now have 19 asparagus plants 10 being 2 years old that i got a nice bit off last year and 9 being a year old. The rasberrys is got from the local conservation office and they are some growing SOB two years old and they are growing every where. Also got the strawberrys from local conservation office they grew really well i didnt let them flower out last year so looking forward to some fresh strawberrys this year

fireone

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Kurt, do you freeze the asparagus? If so how? We really like it but can't eat that much when it is bearing and would like to freeze for later.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm no authority on grapes but have propagated many from cuttings and it is easy and cheap. Just google "grapes from cuttings". I used half gallon paper milk cartons for each vine and when they were ready to transplant just slid the vine and dirt out the bottom of the carton so there was little root disturbance.

Anybody have variety recommendations for raspberry, strawberry and asparagus? My asparagus is transplanted from the wild and I'd like to get something with bigger shoots.

ve had good luck with Polka and Caroline raspberries, I had Anne but they dont produce a lot and SWD were really bad with those, so they were removed. Trying strawberries at my wifes request. planted them last summer, AC Wendy and Darselect are the varieties we went with. Pulled blossoms off last year to encourage strong growth, should get berries this year. Asparagus I planted like 6 years ago was whatever walmart had in stock in the spring. growing great and get some massive spears....
I

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_1031.jpg

Jersey Supreme. I have a 25 foot row of the stuff. Several different plantings to assure that it won't all die out at the same time. I pick about 20 plus pounds yearly. It just keeps getting better. I hardly ever water it and just give it a shot of fish fertilizer early .

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Kurt, do you freeze the asparagus? If so how? We really like it but can't eat that much when it is bearing and would like to freeze for later.

I don’t as it gets eaten as fast as I can pick it

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
When do the green thumb guys start your plants indoors. Seems I always start to early and they get way to "leggie" on me. Garden plot is under a 3 ft snow bank right now, going to take a while for soil to warm up this spring.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
My calendar is telling me to plant my onions this coming monday... If your plant get leggy its likely because they arent getting enough light. I tend to plant too early also!

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
My garden is under a foot of snow with two feet of water under that. Hope my strawberrys make it. Not to worried about the asparagus

Glass

★★★ Legendary Member
I planted tomatos and peppers in early Feb. The tomatos were a mistake but the peppers are looking amazing. To bad I didnt take any photos though. Last night I started all my flowers and few more garden seeds. I have been back in ND since 2013 and since then I have had most of my garden planted by the last week in April. Still have to worry about frost then but not to bad in the bismarck area.

tom1.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 110
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 80
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 69