Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Chokecherries - We have chokecherries on some recently acquired property. How do we determine when they are right for picking? Any syrup or other recipes to use the berries would be greatly appreciated.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
Qt Jar
1 C of sugar
3/4 C of Vodka
3/4 C of Everclear
fill Jar with chokecherries
shake once a day for 3 weeks
strain and bottle. store in freezer.

You're welcome. ;:;boozer

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
do yourself a big favor and buy a steam extractor

extract the juice and can it - then make syrups/jellies at your leisure when it cools down

- - - Updated - - -

I will never ever ever forget the smell of walking into grandmas when they were making chokecherry products

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
haven’t tried aronia but have heard that they’re inferior - chokier than chokecherries

ay easier to harvest and process makes them better IMO.... They are still choky enough for my taste, I mixed some 50/50 with grape juice for preserves last year and it was pretty good.
w

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Real dark red and kind of squishey when you pinch them.

Allen

Founding Member
Founding Member
Yeah, my chokecherries are not so abundant this year. They are getting close to the full purple for picking, but I am guessing it will be about another week.

Anyone ever use the yellow chokecherry variety? If so, any big difference in flavor, etc?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
67934685_2644587775591265_4497852548811587584_n.jpg
Grapes are starting to turn, unfortunately, for the first time ever, some of my grapes that were more shaded by leaves have some sort of fungal infection. I always end up with more than i need anyway...

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
So I think I have a vole problem in my garden. Started picking some beets this last week and noticed that a lot of the tops are eaten off. Then I started noticing little runs in the grass which sounds like voles as well. I've also noticed that under a few Ponderosa Pine trees, something has been eating the pincecones or chewing them up or whatever. We definitely have mice around our place and I saw one in the garden the other day but now I think it was probably a vole. Does it work to set traps in their little lanes in the grass? Help me out please!

thumbnail.jpgthumbnail3.jpgthumbnail2.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going fishing this morning for the whole day. Garden will have to grow on its own. Have 12 aluiminum turkey roasters full of tomato's finnishing the ripeing prosses as I type. Started selling excess last weekend for the first time. People will damed near fight over fresh garden produce. Fridge is full of carrots, green beans and cukes. Potatoes, green beans and onions get picked Friday morning along with one more look in the pickel patch to see how many I missed yesterday. FISH ON YEA HA.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Making refrigerator pickles this morning. Just used the electric meat slicer to slice 12 cups of cucumbers and 2 onions 1/16 inch thick in 20 minuets. :;:rockit

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Damned wind and heavy rain from yesterdays storm really did a job on my giant sunflowers and sweet corn. Lost 75 out of 125 of my sunflowers and my sweet corn is laying at a 45 degree angle. When the ground drys some wife and I will see if we can stand the corn back up or picking will be a big problem. Have to start on the north row and work south row by row.

Retired-Guy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Damned wind and heavy rain from yesterdays storm really did a job on my giant sunflowers and sweet corn. Lost 75 out of 125 of my sunflowers and my sweet corn is laying at a 45 degree angle. When the ground drys some wife and I will see if we can stand the corn back up or picking will be a big problem. Have to start on the north row and work south row by row.

I had that problem a few years back but earlier in the summer. Remarkably, the stuff seemed to straighten back up on its own. However, given that it is this late in this season, I doubt that the same will occur.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member

You can straighten out the corn if the ground is still wet.
Pull the corn straight and use your foot to push the roots into the ground. It works. I have done it many times.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that grow zucchini and are sick of zucchini bread. These are very good. The dill can be substituted with dried dill weed. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pint.

644EB52B-88AB-4102-8B27-AF9F3E51A5B0.jpg

DFA22721-3F86-4819-9B38-8F2D655BE427.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82