Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I did assist my cucumbers up a trellis last year. Doesn't take up near the amount of room and easy to find the cuc's

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
never thought of trellis for cucs, darn they are on the southern side of garden this year

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My onion sets that I planted two weeks ago are doing just that SETTING THERE>

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
My onion sets that I planted two weeks ago are doing just that SETTING THERE>

Soil hasn't had a chance to warm up and stay warm. I'm waiting till end of month to plant. Did it on the 20th last year and Had to still reseed corn and peas.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
You poor northerners! Onion sets are growing well here, 6" tall already. Greens I got planted late but they are coming along nicely. If the weather cleans up end of the week everything will go into the ground. We had a dusting of snow yesterday and flakes today with snow/rain forecasted for the next few days. We did get 8" of snow on May 24th last year so fingers crossed. Long term via the Climate Prediction Center looks decent, average to above average temps. We will see!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is what i use for my tomato cages and my cucumber trellis. its thicker gauge steel than it looks. those 150 foot rolls take two people to lift. for the tomato cages, i just roll it out to the desired length (can't remember the length right now but its diameter is about as wide or a little wider than an oil barrel when done), cut and then bind back together by bending the cut pieces to join with the other end. on good years, the plant fills the entire 5 foot cage to the top and sometime more. for the cuke trellis: cut two pieces to the desired length and tie them together at the top. make an A frame with the two pieces. one side on each side of the plants. there is still some growth that takes place on the ground. but, most of it goes up the trellis. i stake the tomato cages down so they don't lift off the ground as the plant grows up.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/rebar-remesh/5-x-150-reinforcing-mesh/1831003/p-1444447140328.htm

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Question, Can a person spray Roundup on a garden plot and then plant about a week later?

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Planting a viable garden means getting rid of weeds. Roundup uses the active ingredient glyphosate to kill plants indiscriminately, so it's best to use it before you plant flowers or vegetables in your garden. Roundup doesn't leach through the soil to plant roots, but it can remain on the surface for a short while, harming plants if you add them immediately after spraying weeds. Instead, wait at least a day for flowers and three days for vegetables.

When you spray a ready-to-use version of Roundup, it can begin working in as little as six hours, according to Roundup distributor Scotts. If you want to till the weeds under the soil, it's best to wait until the weeds are dead; if any roots are still alive, they might grow back after you plant the garden. Scotts recommends you wait longer to plant edible plants than ornamental plants to ensure the vegetables and herbs don't absorb any residual chemicals that might then make it to your table

Don't mix it to strong, fallow the label and make sure you don't walk thru where you have already sprayed. It will leave dead foot prints in the grass. Don't ask me how I know that. ;:;banghead

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
IF you want to roundup, Id spray and wait a couple days then till weeds under and you should be good to plant.

Last edited:

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I sprayed the garden today, going to try planting next weekend, thanks for the information

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sent wife to Fleet Farm after work to pickup a "flat" of tomatoes, peppers and flowers plus 3 sixpacks of wave petunias. Did not understand how many were in a flat and now I need to plow up another acre. Summer is going to be busy.

Ristorapper

Founding Member
Founding Member
this is what i use for my tomato cages and my cucumber trellis. its thicker gauge steel than it looks. those 150 foot rolls take two people to lift. for the tomato cages, i just roll it out to the desired length (can't remember the length right now but its diameter is about as wide or a little wider than an oil barrel when done), cut and then bind back together by bending the cut pieces to join with the other end. on good years, the plant fills the entire 5 foot cage to the top and sometime more. for the cuke trellis: cut two pieces to the desired length and tie them together at the top. make an A frame with the two pieces. one side on each side of the plants. there is still some growth that takes place on the ground. but, most of it goes up the trellis. i stake the tomato cages down so they don't lift off the ground as the plant grows up.

https://www.menards.com/main/building-materials/concrete-cement-masonry/rebar-remesh/5-x-150-reinforcing-mesh/1831003/p-1444447140328.htm

doing the same as you but using the HEAVY DUTY shit. 16 foot cattle panels. A - frames for the cuke trellis and I used a small 14" tire to "roll" the cattle panel up for my tomato cages. Need a 3# hammer as you roll that heavy gauge stuff up on the tire. Actually turned out pretty good. AND yes stake 'em down. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...nic_feed-_-GoogleShopping-_-Product-_-3502077

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Putting ours in tomorrow....heavily focused on tomatoes, peppers, and onions. Love canned tomatoes, especially in the winter when all you can do is buy them from the store! We will have a few cukes and some other novelties but decided to focus on the bread and butter this year.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I make my own heavy duty stakes using chain link fencing bars from Menards. They last forever and are easy to make. Cut and bend in a vise.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My tiller is 28" wide so I have rows 3' wide so I can till between the rows with out taking blades off tiller. I have a walk behind seed planter and I set the disk in it to 8" spacing for corn.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious....How much do you guys spend annually on getting a garden started? Not including future water bill, future fertilizer, etc. just to get it started. Seeds/seedlings, initial fertilizer, etc.

I have about 600 sq ft of garden space. I have $350 into getting it going....

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm curious....How much do you guys spend annually on getting a garden started? Not including future water bill, future fertilizer, etc. just to get it started. Seeds/seedlings, initial fertilizer, etc.

I have about 600 sq ft of garden space. I have $350 into getting it going....

It's probably cheaper for us to buy food at walmart even though We operate on a shoestring. We use Pond water and old barn yard manure but it still adds up, I'm guessing if we would keep tabs we would see negative cash flow but we don't keep track. Kinda like sparkly boats and the price of fish , Do it if it makes you happy. We like to Grow, Catch or shoot what we can . That is the only glory in planting a garden .

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
It's probably cheaper for us to buy food at walmart even though We operate on a shoestring. We use Pond water and old barn yard manure but it still adds up, I'm guessing if we would keep tabs we would see negative cash flow but we don't keep track. Kinda like sparkly boats and the price of fish , Do it if it makes you happy. We like to Grow, Catch or shoot what we can . That is the only glory in planting a garden .

Absolutely agree Davey. We do it to have some family time, which we all know is priceless.....and teaches the kids a few things along the way ;)

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Absolutely agree Davey. We do it to have some family time, which we all know is priceless.....and teaches the kids a few things along the way ;)

Same here. Great to spend family time with our kids and g kids. Grand kids can't wait to help with planting. Kids working in dirt is good for mind, body, and soul IMO.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76