Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ground watering definitely helps. that... and well water can definitely be your enemy depending on the water quality of said well.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Are you saying that potable well water may be harmful to plants?

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I use treated city water, well southwest pipeline to be specific. We have a well, but it is coal vein based, the water is deep brown. Perhaps the color would clear up with more use but I used the well one year and felt the in ground vegetables had a taste. The property is set up to pump from the river but the previous owner didn't leave the pump.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here make refrigerator pickles and have a recipe or any tips that work for you ? They got away from me and I picked a bunch that are huge but I'd like to salvage them one way or another.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Google Grainery Pickles and Refridgerator Pickles. There are so many ways to make them. It depends on your taste or lack there of. I make two different types from my deformed cukes that dont sell. That way I get rid of some of the odd balls and still make something off of them. This time of year I have 8 to 12 qts in fridge at all times. The Grainery pickle is what they served at the Grainery in West Acers when they were open. The other is a sweet pickle with onion sliced thin. PM me if you need exact how to. I will be home this afternoon and will look up my how to cards, LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks LB , I looked at a few recipes and going to wing it with what I have on hand. I was hoping to find a ready mix spice blend but most of the stores are sold out of canning stuff .

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
just grass clippings to add some nutes and cut back competition from grass growing close to trunk.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Mrs Wages makes some good ready made spice mixtures. You can find that at Fleet Farm , Wally World and a lot of your local grocery stores. I use their salsa mix then just add extra green peppers and onions and freeze instead of canning. LB

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tomatoes are turning quick with the heat. Guessing I'm over 1/2 done. Peppers are loving the heat too. All my salad greens however are not! Onions never really made it back from the hail. Carrots were monsters. I'd say in 2 weeks I'll be done for the year.

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone here make refrigerator pickles and have a recipe or any tips that work for you ? They got away from me and I picked a bunch that are huge but I'd like to salvage them one way or another.
4 cups sugar , 4 cups white vinegar, 1/2 cup salt , 1 1/3 tsp turmeric, 1 1/3 tsp celery seed, 1 1/3 tsp mustard seed . Mix all together , do not heat this is a cold syrup. Wash and sterilize a one gallon glass pickle jar . Slice 3 white onions thin . Slice enough cukes to fill the jar alternating with cukes and onion to fill jar . Pour on syrup and refrigerate for 5 days . Lasts indefinitely. You are welcome . That's my grandmother's recipe from 60 years ago .

Last edited:

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Fairly certain couldn't fill a quarter jar with cucumbers this year. No rain and the heat is frying the buds. Last summer I picked over a hundred eaters from the same patch. Zucchini are also worthless. Watering everyday hasn't helped.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of the worst gardens we have had in 20 years of having a garden. :mad: Usually get over 200 cucumbers off of 4 plants, this year lucky to hit 50. First it was white mold now a leaf blight, and some kind of black beetle, very few flowers forming. Potatoes got aphides very bad and sprayed them 3 or 4 times. Now the heat is already drying up the plants. I have dug 7 hills and gotten around 30 pounds of potatoes so far, which is about par. Another kind of aphid hit my green peppers and jalapeno plants, have sprayed them 2 times and still have aphids (plants are thick and hard to get spray under leaves). Usually get around a half to 3/4s of a 5 gallon bucket of jalapenos and this year if I hit a quarter bucket I'll be surprised. Green peppers are doing real well despite the aphids. Tomatoes are doing good as always, seems like fewer tomatoes but the fruit is bigger. I cant wait for this years season to be over to get rid of my shitty looking garden. ;:;banghead
2C154538-7F1A-4D74-BDE9-841867886C5F.jpg
6568DC7A-D632-442D-BAC2-14D6638CE8AA.jpg
CDE574A5-C092-4CAE-BE59-63ACB9E82641.jpg

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our tomatoes and hot hungarian wax peppers are going beserk. Jalapeños are just so so. Carrots are doing well and are super sweet. Beets have been decent but not getting very big. Radishes and kohlrabi did awesome. Deer ate all the romaine lettuce and our cukes suck. Not 1 cucumber. The potato plants looked good and the potatoes we are getting are good but not many per hill. Kind of disappointing. Not too bad for a first garden at our new house we moved into in May.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We call them black bugs, Canola beetles, they really did a # on my Horseradish leaves before a got some powder to put on them, now not a bug insight

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
There must be more people fending for themselves these days. DIY supplies for canning/pickling are in high demand.

- - - Updated - - -

I made some fridge pickles with what we had on hand but they are bland . Ordered some spices online , Hoping I can add it and salvage them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Funny how the weather changes from year to year. Last year we froze sweet corn on Sept 15 and this year we are canning as I type. Taking a break, cannot feel my fingers anymore. The whole garden has been overwhelming this year with a lot of stuff still going on and will be until Oct. Only thing that didn't produce is our apple trees. Lots of apples but are small in size. Going to take a lot of them to make 25 pints of apple sauce. Better get back at it 35 pints of reg. corn today and 35 pints of creamed corn Sunday.LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have the same thing going , Been husking , Blanching and freezing corn the last two days and green beans last night. The cool weather is helping. It was enjoyable drinking coffee this morning waiting for ambition to show up for work but I know what I'll be doing this afternoon. corn.jpg

Rowdie

Founding Member
Founding Member
I haven't seen any sweet corn for sale in Biz this year.

My seeds from China are coming up nice though.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
has anyone ever tasted or made watermelon wine ? It must be sweet and not bitter ? Not normally a wine drinker but I like watermelon and thinking it might be worth trying. Have a dozen or so watermelon that I'm wondering what to do with.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 143
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 126
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 109
  • This month: 91
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 77