Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

johnr

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let mother nature take care of my vegetable needs, if she freezes, she freezes.

I however will not let that bitch stop me from my Colorado trip on the bikes in 3 days.. a nice week long ride in the Grandby CO area, including a hot air balloon ride.

I might eat a carrot.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had an overabundance of tomatoes this year and was trying to find new ways to use them. I'm not sure what took me so long to do this but I made tomato soup. OMG where has this been for my whole life?!? I don't think I'll be able to eat canned stuff again. I may be "late to the party" on this but I'm glad I arrived!!

Yup, I grew up on that stuff, It's so good that it's even good when you make it out of frozen tomatoes. I freeze a couple dozen whole ripe tomatoes just for soup. Now I can almost taste it as I type so I don't have to wonder what I want for dinner , Tomato soup and grilled cheese it is.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Weather man missed it by 6 degree's said it was 34 outside but the car temp said 28 when the wife headed to work at 6:30. Everything is deader than a doornail. Now the cleanup begins.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weather man missed it by 6 degree's said it was 34 outside but the car temp said 28 when the wife headed to work at 6:30. Everything is deader than a doornail. Now the cleanup begins.

geez! I was only kidding! wow - that blows

Oh well - it seems like late season veg starts to taste nasty to me anyway (old/mildewy... even when it looks fine)

we covered ours in little minneapolis - guess I get to do the late season taste test once again

- - - Updated - - -

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/39544/garden-fresh-tomato-soup/

Only difference is I put the sugar and the salt in while simmering, then added to taste after. I find adding it while it's cooking is almost always better.

I didn't use a food mill. I used an immersion blender and then strained it through a sieve.

I also threw in a couple jalapenos, seeds and all, to add a little kick.

I simmered it (covered) longer than 30 minutes ....about 5 beers time. Probably an hour or so I'm guessing. It can't hurt as you puree it anyway.

That recipe has cloves. Cloves? WTH???

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
I let mother nature take care of my vegetable needs, if she freezes, she freezes.

I however will not let that bitch stop me from my Colorado trip on the bikes in 3 days.. a nice week long ride in the Grandby CO area, including a hot air balloon ride.

I might eat a carrot.
Corona pass is always a good one although with the snow I'm not sure you can get up there anymore. But does take you out right on top of the Divide.

Jiffy

★★★★★ Legendary Member
geez! I was only kidding! wow - that blows

Oh well - it seems like late season veg starts to taste nasty to me anyway (old/mildewy... even when it looks fine)

we covered ours in little minneapolis - guess I get to do the late season taste test once again

- - - Updated - - -

That recipe has cloves. Cloves? WTH???

Garlic cloves, but yes, it does just say cloves. I wouldn't suggest putting whole cloves in it. Maybe that's what it means now that I read it again. Nevertheless I used garlic.

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
i got fucked yesterday morning too. prediction was 34 degrees. i decided to take a chance since i didn't exactly have enough sheets to cover 1000 square feet of garden. we had a hard frost at my place. done gardening for the year at least. if any tomatoes made it, at least i can still freeze them. can't be canned though. plants are dead. the veggies on the vine appeared ok. picked all of the peppers last night. not sure what to think of the brussell sprouts though. on another note, i think their temp gauge here is probably at the airport which might influenced by the lake this time of year depending on wind. they were off by a good 4 degrees compared to what my weather app said and what my home thermometer said.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I used 2 real cloves. Removed them before running through the processor. I was leery of using them. It does taste great. Just 1 teaspoon of sugar and salt.

Those Brussel sprouts can take way more cold than you think. I've left them out til. December.

The peppers are shot. The sheet blew off last night. No biggie. The jalapeños are good.

Last edited:

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Did anyone else grow up eating the old school recipe tomato soup that was made with Milk and baking soda ?

- - - Updated - - -

I didn't know what I was doing with Brussel sprouts , I planted them in tight quarters in a couple different raised beds not realizing how big they get , I trimmed the lower branches and waited and waited for brussels and the plants just kept getting bigger and crowding out some good plants so I cut them down. My brussels only got as big as BBs , Aren't they supposed to be about ping pong ball size on the plant by this time of the year ?

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'll probably be able to give you some advice later on today , I picked one last night and covered the rest . It's down to 22 this morning here.

i got fucked yesterday morning too. prediction was 34 degrees. i decided to take a chance since i didn't exactly have enough sheets to cover 1000 square feet of garden. we had a hard frost at my place. done gardening for the year at least. if any tomatoes made it, at least i can still freeze them. can't be canned though. plants are dead. the veggies on the vine appeared ok. picked all of the peppers last night. not sure what to think of the brussell sprouts though. on another note, i think their temp gauge here is probably at the airport which might influenced by the lake this time of year depending on wind. they were off by a good 4 degrees compared to what my weather app said and what my home thermometer said.

I'm sure that the lake makes a difference in temperatures nearby. I live on Lake Metigoshe and Davey lives 5 miles ± south of me. On Monday he reported a low of 22° while I had a low of 29°. I attribute the difference to proximity to Metigoshe.

Wags2.0

★★★★★ Legendary Member

I might eat a carrot.

harley Davidson is the worlds largest cosplay company. People forget

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I pulled the sheets off the tomatoes, cucs, and peppers this morning...glad they got covered because the sheets were stiff as a board. She was a frosty morning!

This year was a live and learn repeat for me.. When the ground is still warm but the air temps dive too low like they did here fabric that can breath lets too much ground heat escape. Next year Plan A will be a thin layer of painters plastic that hold the ground heat. I knew that from 3 years ago but I was unprepared this year, I covered some and only the very top of those froze. Worse yet, I put some tomatoes on wheels in the garage and left the windows for a while after it got dark out and froze the tops on some of those those too. Nobody's fault but my own and now we will have a long Indian summer.

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Here's hoping we have a long Indian summer since my damn sunflowers just started blooming 10 days ago and some have yet to open! ;:;banghead

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
mine is done, even covered, all dead. Just got carrots left, the way I understand carrots is they get better when left in for a few frosts

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
mine is done, even covered, all dead. Just got carrots left, the way I understand carrots is they get better when left in for a few frosts

kernel

Got my seeds in the mail from Gurneys. Now to start planning what goes where, and I think I can till in some more compost this afternoon with weather like this. Don't hardly have snow even in ditches.
Which types of plants did you harvest on your garden? Share your experience with us.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76