Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
When u transplant to the garden to you put fertilizer in the hole first then a layer of dirt then the plant?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I usually mix in a little fertilizer and Sevn bug killer for cut worms and then set tomato plant in that. Plant your trans plants deep. 3" up from the dirt ball so that it will send out more roots. Its helps stable the plant against wind also.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my seeds going and typical me have too much water in them. Starting to droop, hope I can save most of them. Onions have been in and are growing like crazy. Didn't do much for fall garlic (forgot) but have a bunch of spring garlic in, will see how it goes, not expecting much. It is coming up nicely though.

Weirdest thing is I planted a late batch of cilantro last year. It came up and I didn't do anything with it. This spring it is up and going and is HUGE already. Frost and snow have done nothing to it. Lost a couple strawberry plants to the winter, not enough mulch on them I would guess.

Do you guys really see a difference in shorter growing season tomatoes? I planted 4th of July's last year and they matured the same time everything else did. This year I have 56, 62, 78, and 80 day tomatoes planted just to test the difference.

Never thought I would be a gardener, now here I am!

ShootnBlanks

Founding Member
Founding Member
This nice weather always gets me excited to plant the garden. It's tough to be patient for planting. More than once I have planted too early and been cursed by frost. I just love running around in the evening trying to cover plants.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
This nice weather always gets me excited to plant the garden. It's tough to be patient for planting. More than once I have planted too early and been cursed by frost. I just love running around in the evening trying to cover plants.

I will be rototilling tomorrow but that's just because it's dry now. Might plant potatoes. Peppers and tomatoes will be planted at the end of May. When the chance of frost is normally past. I have planted tomatoes early with walls of water. What a waste of time.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have a good number of dog bombs sprouting/appearing daily with the snow melt that I should have taken care of more religiously during the winter.

Get a dethatching blade for your mower, makes my dog bombs disappear and fertilizes the lawn at the same time. You paid good $ for that poo, why let it go to waste?

Kurtr

Founding Member
Founding Member
Got my seeds going and typical me have too much water in them. Starting to droop, hope I can save most of them. Onions have been in and are growing like crazy. Didn't do much for fall garlic (forgot) but have a bunch of spring garlic in, will see how it goes, not expecting much. It is coming up nicely though.

Weirdest thing is I planted a late batch of cilantro last year. It came up and I didn't do anything with it. This spring it is up and going and is HUGE already. Frost and snow have done nothing to it. Lost a couple strawberry plants to the winter, not enough mulch on them I would guess.

Do you guys really see a difference in shorter growing season tomatoes? I planted 4th of July's last year and they matured the same time everything else did. This year I have 56, 62, 78, and 80 day tomatoes planted just to test the difference.

Never thought I would be a gardener, now here I am!

i put a bunch of straw on my strawberrys and just took it off they all look dead i hope they start to grow but this year i am increasing the strawberry batch by about 15 plants. i love them berrys

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
IMG_1029.jpgIMG_1029.jpg
Fall garlic. It will be ready this summer.

luvcatchingbass

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get a dethatching blade for your mower, makes my dog bombs disappear and fertilizes the lawn at the same time. You paid good $ for that poo, why let it go to waste?

I bought one a couple years ago it seemed so out of balance that I thought my mower was going to rattle apart, Toro self propelled. Any advice or if I may have just got a bad blade?

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thanks I like the can becuase of the lid you could cover your plants at night what size you get and how long to cut them

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I have different sizes. 6 inch or bigger. About six inches tall. You can drape a sheet over them. I have enough sheets to cover about 75 feet of rows.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I take 5 gallon paint buckets (clean) and cut the bottom off. Then cut them into two. I leave them around the tomatoes. The cage fits inside. Then I run the water into each plant about every 6 days. I use two hoses as I have 24 or so plants. This keeps water off the leaves to reduce disease. While I am watering I weed, moving the water every few minutes. This saves water and I never could understand why you would want to water weeds. My entire 70 by 30 foot garden is mulched to prevent weeds and save water.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Same as DBub for tomatoes and all my vine plants. Why water weeds.

lunkerslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
That's why I went with the drip system last year, I had a problem with air bubbles and having problems with too much water pressure making air bubbles This year I am going to add a second shut off valve. I also use grass as a mulch which means my lawn doesn't get treated for weeds. I have areas closer to the alley that is 80 percent weed

Putz ND

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tilled the garden and food plots yesterday - I was giving tractor rides for nieces and nephews so I got a "pass" to avoid a little family time. I was actually surprised how dry it was - Devils Lake area. Brussels sprouts, peppers are all started and up nice, just put the cabbage and tomato seeds under the lights. Now - if I can just keep the turkeys out - I HATE those things

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 105
  • This month: 99
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 63
  • This month: 56
  • This month: 55