Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Taters are poking through and onions are perking up. 24 tomato plants in. Big push the next 2 weeks to get everything planted and it looks like rain in the future.

Life is good, nothing much is better than planting a seed and watching it grow and putting it on the table.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The first BLT of the season with a tomato that tastes like a tomato not just like something red bought from the store is wonderful. Look forward to it each spring when I start my tomato plants. LB

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
I looked at the extended forecast and planted everything last Saturday so if it snows blame me..ha. Radishes are starting to poke through and the tomato and pepper plants seem to be getting used to the ND winds nicely

Paddledogger

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Finished getting the garden in Saturday morning after .75" of rain Friday night. Then it drizzled Saturday afternoon and got another .05 to .10 before receiving another 2" yesterday and last night. LIFE IS GOOD! Now, I just need to exterminate all of these little bunny rabbits running around the neighborhood. Them little bastards are pissing me off!!! ;:;banghead

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Potatoes, corn and onions are poked thru. Yeah... Getting the rest in the ground the next couple days.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
I’m too impatient for this shit. I planted last Wednesday and can’t wait to see what pops. The wind successfully killed my squash and cucumbers. Waiting until Wednesday to plant the tomatoes and peppers so the wind can quit a little bit.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Might want to plant tomatoes and peppers a few days later. Lows in the thirties are not great for gardening.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I always plant my vine seeds and cover with ice cream pails with the bottom cut out. Protects until the plant is strong enough to take the normal ND wind. Then pull the pail or leave to catch and hold extra water. Works for me. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I get all kinds of ice cream pails from the people I sell veggies to. Its part of the deal. Also have a guy that does a lot of painting and he saves me those grey paint pails, 5gal size. The gray pails last a lot longer than the white drywall, UV rays make the drywall buckets brittle after a couple years.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else have rhubarb coming out of their ears this spring ? Wife has harvested a bunch already , I never used to like it when I was younger but now she started cooking it down and making it into a smoothie with strawberries and freeze in ice cube trays, better than ice cream IMO.

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member
Anyone else have rhubarb coming out of their ears this spring ? Wife has harvested a bunch already , I never used to like it when I was younger but now she started cooking it down and making it into a smoothie with strawberries and freeze in ice cube trays, better than ice cream IMO.

Mom used to make strawberry/rubarb sauce when I was a kid and I loved it until I ate too much and got sick. Haven't eaten any since.

bilbo

Honored Member
I always plant my vine seeds and cover with ice cream pails with the bottom cut out. Protects until the plant is strong enough to take the normal ND wind. Then pull the pail or leave to catch and hold extra water. Works for me. LB

We do the same but with big coffee cans. Though coffee doesn't seem to come in them any more; we get them from a friend who is a cook at a school.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Pretty sure some of my tomato transplants that I put out on Sunday are in Iowa now. Moving on.;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead;:;banghead

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our neighbors used to collect one gallon glass jugs and wrap twine soaked in gas around them and light the twine on fire then dip the jug in cold water and the bottoms fell off, they worked like a mini greenhouses. Mom always used shake shingles both for wind and cutworms.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 119
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 97
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 75
  • This month: 73
  • This month: 71