Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Started selling baby potatoes and onions out of garden today, need the room for second planting of green beans, peas and carrots for fall picking. Everything is doing well just need a lot of water. In about a month going to get real busy with beans, peas, tomatos, beets, cukes and of course potato and onions. The fall vine stuff looks the best in years. With this heat, just have to keep the water on them and side dress with 10-10-10 fertilizer. Just need to make time for a little fishing now and then. Tight lines and good food my friends. LB PS I kicked cancers butt this time, fells good to get back to normal, just a little scar that I will proudly wear like a medal LB

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First cucumber salad of the year tonight! Cucumber plants are about 3.5 feet tall and tallest tomato is at 4.5 feet tall. Sidewall of the greenhouse is just under 6 feet. Not sure what I’m gonna do in two months if tomatoes keep growing vertical. Several tomato fruit have started and we should have ripe ones in a few weeks. Potatoes, carrots, strawberries, spinach, lettuce, and raspberries outside are all looking good! Only our second year of gardening so we’re learning from mistakes last year and things are looking good!
338EBBE7-8538-4801-AFF4-347051A8E339.jpg EE1155FB-4E60-4DC0-A564-C7CA94CF39FC.jpg

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
First cuke salad tonight, it was wonderful. Taters are doing great, have had a few pounders come out of patch, most are baseball size. Bell peppers are good just dont look like they should. Must be the heat that makes them long and tapered. Work for salads or omlets just not for stuffing. Cherry tomatoes should start to turn next week and green beans and peas are blooming. All the vines have started to set fruit just have to keep the water too them. Good luck to all you guys with the green thumbs. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Been watering every other day. Beans are popping, cukes are just getting going. Tomatoes look, good but not as many as usual. Squash are rocking. The heat is wearing me down. Survival gardening 101.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Onions are pushing out of the hard ground , do you guys pull dirt up to them and keep them covered or let them be ?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any good cures for blossom rot or blyte? Couple tom plants and my peppers got it again . Irrigation system so not overhead watering. Watering every morning in this heat. Onions didn't make the trip either. ;:;banghead

Retired Educator

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Any good cures for blossom rot or blyte? Couple tom plants and my peppers got it again . Irrigation system so not overhead watering. Watering every morning in this heat. Onions didn't make the trip either. ;:;banghead

Read an article that said a common cause is calcium deficiency. Recommended adding powdered milk to the water to add calcium. Have been using it for a couple weeks and it appears to be helping. There was no recommendation on how often to water with the mixture of how much powdered milk to a gallon of water for example. Been guessing for me. have had it in the past and it seemed like if was worse with early tomatoes and eventually it went away. Hate to remove so many tomatoes when it begins to appear.

Welcome other cures. Have been told by a Ag County Agent that too much nitrogen can also cause rot. He told me that tomatoes really don't need any nitrogen or very little as it only promotes land growth and the other nutrients such as phosphorous, etc. promote fruit growth. Have never found a "Tomato Plant Food" that doesn't contain nitrogen.

CAH

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nitrogen helps the leafy growth which is necessary to produce fruit. But yes, the phosphorus and calcium produce the fruit. People bury egg shells with the roots when they plant and they say that helps. My tomatoes are wayyyy overgrown and now they have so much little fruit I don’t dare trim them back. I have no clue what I’m doing tho.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Onions are pushing out of the hard ground , do you guys pull dirt up to them and keep them covered or let them be ?
Let them be. The wiskers or roots are the only things that need be in the soil. LB

- - - Updated - - -

Once I figure I have plenty fruit set on my tomato plants I trim some of the green back and when the tomato are half the size I want I trim some more so that most of the plant energy goes to the fruit and not the greens. I also never plant my tomato in the same place, I have a 5 year rotation in my garden. My buddy to the south of me about a mile has rot big time but he plants in the same place every year. You just cannot do that. My Early Girl tomato are about 10oz in size right now with a few bigger one in there and they are starting to turn. Avg about 15 to 20 tomato per plant. Big Boy and Big Beef only about 10 tomato per plant but they will get to a pound and bigger. I just use a 10-10-10 fert. about 4 times a summer. I sell enough out of my garden to cover what it costs me to grow and then share with family and friends and of course what we use and can our self. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Preventing Rotten Tomatoes
One of the greatest joys in summer is
to harvest your first ripe tomato —
unless the tomato is rotten.
Blossom end rot is the No. #1
threat to tomato plants in our gardens
today. Our drought has made matters
much worse this year.
Blossom end rot is most often
associated with a lack of calcium in
the fruits. Without enough calcium in
their cell walls, the tomato fruits
collapse at their bottoms.
Blossom end rot also is associated
with drought, high temperatures and
low humidities. All of these factors
are occurring throughout North
Dakota.
What’s the answer? We need to
get more calcium to the fruits.
Some gardeners try to prevent this
rot by adding calcium to the soil.
They sprinkle eggshells and Tums
near the plants. This approach isn’t
bad but does little good because most
soils in North Dakota have an
abundance of calcium already in
them.
Other gardeners add Epsom salts
to the soil, but the magnesium in
Epsom salts may worsen the
situation.
The best strategy to reduce
blossom end rot is to irrigate
properly.
The uptake of calcium in the soil
by tomato roots depends on the
uptake of water. Irrigate regularly.
Avoid extremes of waterlogged and
droughty soil. Mulch to maintain
consistent levels of moisture in the
soil.
Cultivate shallowly. Don’t damage
the roots of your tomato vines. We

need these roots to absorb the
calcium in the soil solution.
Your fertilization practices can
make a difference. Do not
overfertilize.
Tomato leaves compete with
tomato fruits for calcium in the vine.
Overfertilization will lead to vines full
of leaves that will take calcium from
the vine before fruits can get it.
As a general rule, do not sidedress
tomato vines until their first fruits are
set.
Avoid fertilizers containing
ammonium nitrate, a very common
source of nitrogen. Ammonium ions
compete with calcium ions for the
limited areas on roots where nutrients
are absorbed. Calcium nitrate is a
better choice.
Calcium sprays are available that
may prevent blossom end rot, but
their effectiveness is inconsistent.
Follow the instructions on the label.
The bottoms of tomato fruits may rot due to a lack of calcium.

You can prepare your own spray if
you want to give it a try. Mix 4
tablespoons of calcium nitrate per
gallon of water. Spray fruits, not
leaves, two to three times a week. The

key time is when tomatoes are dime-
sized or smaller.

Now is a good time to inspect
your tomatoes to see if they are
rotten. The first cluster of fruits is
most often damaged. Remove any
rotten fruits.
Subsequent clusters of fruits are
much less susceptible to blossom end
rot. As summer progresses, the vine’s
network of roots expands, allowing it
to absorb more calcium into the
plant. The leaves and fruits on the
vine are in better balance later in
summer, too.
Focus your attention on irrigating
your garden when needed and don’t
overfertilize. Soon you will be
enjoying lots of tasty tomatoes this
summer.

2 NDSU Yard & Garden Report August

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Let them be. The wiskers or roots are the only things that need be in the soil. LB

Thanks lb, I was thinking maybe they would quit growing and start the curing process since they pushed out so early in the summer this year .

Bullsnake

Founding Member
Founding Member
i tried my hand at using egg shells and unused eggs from the chicken coop as fertilizer for the garden this year and all i did was invite a skunk over to tear the whole damn thin up, i might get a couple of pumpkins but the rest was rooted up

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
I stole the wife's ph/ moist meter. PH just about 7.0, moisture maybe a bit much. Gonna back down the watering to every other day unless notice leaf wilting. Spread gypsum around the plant and into irrigation zone. Will see, just got the email from NDSU that BDub posted.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I see some blossom end rot every year. Roma tomatoes seem to get hit the worst. I just toss them. It seems to me that some varieties are more susceptible.
My theory with tomatoes is plant way more than you need. Different varieties. Some heirlooms and some hybrids.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member

Thanks lb, I was thinking maybe they would quit growing and start the curing process since they pushed out so early in the summer this year .
If the stalks are still standing tall bend them over about 4 inches above the bulb to start the curing prosses, LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
If the stalks are still standing tall bend them over about 4 inches above the bulb to start the curing prosses, LB

Hoping to get a little more size out of them , They are still only golf ball size. I don't have enough organic matter so soil gets hard after a pounding rain.

Cabbage butterflies galore, garden and flowers around the house have 20 or so fluttering around. Iv'e been watching for damage but can't seem to find any , not even eggs/larva. I sprinkled seven on cabbage culies and brocks a couple weeks ago thinking it would keep them away but it doesn't seem to keep them off. Most are on wifeys flowers.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Dam bug's and worms got my Cabbage plants, had some nice sized ones, next will be the tomatoes and then the potatoes

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa's garden

Well here is a little demonstration put on by my Daughter Bre and her Grandpa. We're no pro's at doing videos but they have been working hard all year in Grandpa's garden and thought we should share some of our ideas with you all. We plan on making some more video's in the future. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 115
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 103
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 76