Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sig357

Founding Member
Founding Member
Grandpa's Garden what to do with corn stalks

Well as Bob promised here is our second video of tricks he and Bre do in his garden. Our family was out of town last week for a wedding so here is this week's video. It on what to do with corn stalks.

Bob

I want to thank my granddaughter Bre for making videos with me. She enjoys doing them but today the no see em's (BUGS) were terrible out there! I used a lawn mower to grind up my corn stalks and other plants at the end of the season in the past but using the wood chipper makes a fast job out of it. It will plug up but so simple to open and clean out. I cut the roots off due to all the dirt which will dullen the blades. Make sure there are no corn cobs on or likely have volunteer corn coming next year! Well, keep watching and hope you enjoyed the video. We will make a few more and if you have something to ask about feel free and maybe we can help.
Grandpa Bob and Bre!

Also to my son Sig357 for making the video.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, its that time of year. This drought thing sucks. Pulled the cucumber plants today, had 4 hills and guessing we were north of 500 cucumbers. Could hardly give them away fast enough. Lost 1 green pepper plant right away so only had 2, they didn't produce well but managed enough to eat over the summer. The 4 tomato plants, I would say produced just an average crop, nothing spectacular. Have 6 jalapeno plants and 20 hills of potatoes left in the garden. By the time I get done chopping the jalapenos that are there, I will defiantly be sick of it. Dug 10 hills of potatoes so far and they are also just average. Biggest potato so far was 1 & 3\8 pounds. Will be interesting to see if I break my 2 pound record this year when I dig the rest.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well, its that time of year. This drought thing sucks. Pulled the cucumber plants today, had 4 hills and guessing we were north of 500 cucumbers. Could hardly give them away fast enough. Lost 1 green pepper plant right away so only had 2, they didn't produce well but managed enough to eat over the summer. The 4 tomato plants, I would say produced just an average crop, nothing spectacular. Have 6 jalapeno plants and 20 hills of potatoes left in the garden. By the time I get done chopping the jalapenos that are there, I will defiantly be sick of it. Dug 10 hills of potatoes so far and they are also just average. Biggest potato so far was 1 & 3\8 pounds. Will be interesting to see if I break my 2 pound record this year when I dig the rest.

Digging potatoes is like treasure hunting.....so much fun to see what's there!

We have a bumper "hot" pepper crop - scorpion, reaper, 7 pot, ghost, habanero, jalepeno, and cayenne. Kohlrabi did just fine in the shade. Tomatoes are average. Tons of cucumbers!

Tomatoes got blossom end rot in the beginning and the first crop of peppers had a black fungus inside them. What I'm getting on both now are all good but frustrating at the beginning of harvest.

I've got hot pickles, bread and butter pickles, hot sauce, tomato sauce, wild plum jam, spiced wild plum chutney, and pickled kohlrabi/carrots. So much fun to give them away to those who enjoy them as much as I do!!!

Mr. Stevenson

★★★★★ Legendary Member
^^^^Put a little cayenne in a jar of B/B pickles. Trust me. Habanero also works but is a bit intense for me. Mix in and allow to steep in the fridge for about a week. I like an 1/4 tsp in a quart.

And yes I realize less habanero would achieve the same effect. I don't keep it around. For that matter go with Scotch Bonnet! Heat with BB pickles is good.

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Sold 2000 worth and gave away at least that much and filled 2 deepfreez for our self plus taters and onions in basement for winter. Carrots will come out right before freeze up. Took a lot of water but thats the way the cookie crumbles. LB

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Sold 2000 worth and gave away at least that much and filled 2 deepfreez for our self plus taters and onions in basement for winter. Carrots will come out right before freeze up. Took a lot of water but thats the way the cookie crumbles. LB

Thumbs Up

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tomatoes all ended up with blossom rot along with the bell peppers. They only got to the size of a handball. Tons of cherry tomatoes. Had a lot of slicer cuc's , good potato crop Yukon and reds

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Didnt have any end rot but did have a lot of sun scald on my tomatoes. Cherry tomato will be picking right up until the frost will kill them. My Nordland red potato got a real thick skin due to the super hot weather and my sugarsand soil, makes them look like Russet potato only round> Will see how they keep. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Peppers did good. Hotter than usual. Filet beans did very well. Swiss chard never quit. Lots of squash but not huge. Sunshine hybrid Kobacha produced well and bigger than Bobbon butternut.
Crazy year for tomatoes. Blossom end rot on the paste varieties. Then cracking after the weather cooled. But they recovered and are still producing. We've been getting nice eaters and lots of tomatoes for salsa.
The rain really helped. Carrots will stay in until right before freeze up.

Still dry out there but definitely greener than last year.

Bob

I was to make more videos with my granddaughter Bre but August came so fast and I had an Archery Elk Tag for Colorado beginning of September. Now that is over, didn't go well, so I've been cleaning out the garden.

I have salsa peppers that just keep growing! They are as big as bananas! Roma's are coming in nice and as well as my slicer tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes I've cut the plant back at least three times so far. It was well over 8' tall if I held it up.

Cucumbers seem to be tiny finger size and then the next day like a zucchini! Still have lots of pickles from last year yet. Took the plants out two weeks ago.

Corn was fairly good, Onions just wouldn't get any size to them, planted 400 this year and lucky if I got 200! Carrots got taken over by weeds faster than I could keep up so only maybe 10 lbs. worth. Green beans were good again this year. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPwddOifCxk&list=LL&index=2 ) Link to how we clean green beans. I'm sure we have 30 to 40 lbs. of green beans in the freezer and canned a bunch.

Spaghetti Squash was crazy, Pumpkins real good, watermelons about the size of children's size basketball and cantaloupes were about the size of softballs.

Tomatoes are still coming on! They just don't seem to ripen very fast this year for me. But thats ok with me, this way it's easy to keep up with canning. We make lots of salsa, tomato juice, whole tomatoes for stews, chili etc. and pasta sauce. I have a new trick this year for making pasta thicker. I haven't tried it yet but when I do I'll let you know how it turns out.

One trick to keep from getting bottom rot on tomatoes use gypsums with calcium mix. At the first sign of seeing some bottom rot I do fast emergency fix by taking a small hand full of antacid tablets and run them in the coffee grinder and pulverize them to powder and mix in my gallon sprayer with water. I spray the whole plant with the mix, one gallon will do quite a few plants and then several days later do it again. The plant will absorb it through the leaves. Then I mix up my calcium mix in 5 gallon buckets and water with that once a week. My tomato plants have 5 gallon buckets around them with the bottoms cut out. I have them half way in the ground so when I water I fill them to the top. I use my lawn clippings around the outside of the buckets and I do use Preen for weed control around them. When I pick my corn we use a wood chipper to grind the corn stalks and those also get placed around the tomatoes. Really helps keeping moisture in the ground. (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-7R1E0Jlys ) Another video.

Well I hope everyone had/has a great garden this year. I'm already roto tilling a larger area for next year!

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had 10 hills of potatoes to dig. Got 8 gallons of potatoes out fo the 10 hills.
this was the biggest one this year.
CC3CC497-8BBE-4292-9B12-333E43B0AD19.jpg
this was 2019’s biggest
ADC04A91-BD65-49F5-8C16-F0E98A796FF7.jpg
shit I was really close to beating that one

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If anyone up for a big tater, tomato or bell pepper contest next year? I will bring this up next spring. LB

Bob

IMG-4809.jpgIMG-4807.jpg​Last of the Salsa Peppers, made enough salsa to last through next season! As you can see some are huge! We cut the tops off then cut them lengthwise, clean out seeds and ribs face down on grill, cook until edges start to brown, turn over and fill with cheese! Cook until cheese melts! I have more peppers than I'll ever need so if you are anywhere around Bismarck give me a message and come get all you want. In a few days I'll have to throw them out. Leave a message on my phone, (txt preferred) or a voice message and I'll call you back 226-8508.

Peppers are gone!

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Finished up the garden on Friday by digging up about a 100# of carrots. My customers have been stopping by all weekend to get their share for the winter. Another season in the books. When I was done digging carrots I planted a few doz. Night Crawlers I had left from this fall. LB

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 165
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 121
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76