Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have the opposite of ND this spring. These 80 degree days with our angle of the sun feel into the 90s. The tomatoes are loving it, but it’s so hot we need to keep the greenhouse door open! Strawberries, raspberries, and apples all have flowers already. Finally got the actual garden in last week and just waiting now.

We spent Sunday cleaning up the flower bed and area by my daughter’s columbarium. REMINDER TO SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS - we were at the local garden center on Saturday picking out plants for the cemetery and the owner caught wind of why we were purchasing stuff. The place was packed and she came over and helped us get everything picked out. When we were done, she insisted on skipping the register and loading us up. Probably $250-$300 worth of stuff. Not that we expect something like that or that anyone should or would go expecting free stuff, but to a small business you are a person and not just $$$.
1707798177034.png
Winter time view pic 0oLPZEI9PddV.jpeg
Good people pop out when you least expect it. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Garden going to take a beating this summer with radiation and chemo at the same time it sucks the shit right out of me. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garden going to take a beating this summer with radiation and chemo at the same time it sucks the shit right out of me. LB

Iv'e been thinking about you and wondering how your doing. I was wishing I lived closer so I could offer to help.. We arent getting any younger so theres that too. Good luck and don't give up .

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
As a matter of fact, I was thinking about you one day, that one day when the wind wasn't blowing there were honey bees on the plum tree blossoms and I don't know where they are coming from. It's been too windy and rainy to play detective.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Taters have been flowering for a few days now and the ground is starting to crack around the hllls so I will have some baby taters for the 4th of July Ka-Bobs OH YEAH. Just need to keep pouring the water to em. LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had first meal of steamed baby carrots with baby tators and pearl onions with garlic butter sauce. Couldn't taste a dammed thing due to radiation. SUCKS big time. Wife said its was wonderful so have to go by what she said 13 treatments down and 20 to go, 3 chemo down and 4 to go then done for awhle. LB

Last edited:

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Had first meal of steamed baby carrots with baby tators and pearl onions with garlic butter sauce. Couldn't taste a dammed thing due to radiation. SUCKS big time. Wife said its was wonderful so have to go by what she said 13 treatments down and 20 to go, 3 chemo down and 4 to go then done for awhle. LB

Hang in there LB we’re all pulling for ya

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Just think how good they'll taste once you're through it! Pulling for ya' Bud!

sl1000794

Founding Member
Founding Member

Prayers going out for you and your treatment!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The garden is looking great. The Patterson onions are getting bigger every day. I decided to grow potatoes in a couple of my raised beds. They are way ahead of the ones planted in the ground. Five inches of rain in July didn't hurt.

Also I am trying the new Big Beef Plus tomato. So far they are way ahead of ten varieties. About 60 tomatoes on four plants.

Last edited:

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any tomato experts in here? We've always had excellent tomatoes. I built a few new raised beds this year and filled them with sifted topsoil (the same stuff that's in the old planters) and added some miracle grow garden soil. For whatever reason, they are doing terrible this year. Growth is stunted and the leaves are curling up really bad. Any thoughts on what I can do to get them back? There are no bugs bothering them, so it must be something with the soil.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Could have been chemical from last year in top soil. Tomatoes ``are real touchy that way. `LB

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Could have been chemical from last year in top soil. Tomatoes ``are real touchy that way. `LB

The topsoil was fresh stuff and just delivered this year. I suppose it is possible that they maybe treated it to remove weeds prior to it being delivered. I used the topsoil in some plants around the house without issue though.

guywhofishes

Founding Member
Founding Member
Any tomato experts in here? We've always had excellent tomatoes. I built a few new raised beds this year and filled them with sifted topsoil (the same stuff that's in the old planters) and added some miracle grow garden soil. For whatever reason, they are doing terrible this year. Growth is stunted and the leaves are curling up really bad. Any thoughts on what I can do to get them back? There are no bugs bothering them, so it must be something with the soil.

We got some free topsoil that was generated by the city's composting of leaves and lawn cuttings. What we didn't know at the time was that many of today's herbicides are so durable that after they're sprayed on lawns and end up in cuttings they outlast the composting process. They're not just your grampa's 24D that's harmless a week later anymore.

Our tomatoes were subsequently effed and in a way that sounds familiar to yours.

Had to remove it and start over. Still pisses me off the city doesn't have a big sign alerting people to the sinister soil they're getting "for free".

- - - Updated - - -

Also - some weed control chemicals literally generate "fumes" that can drift and kill. If you're spraying anywhere remotely near live tomatoes - stay a country mile away.

Two actually. ;:;rofl

- - - Updated - - -

Drift
Drift occurs during the herbicide application. It is the unintentional, off-target application of herbicides. This can lead to damage of surrounding crops as well as an ineffective herbicide application.
There are several factors that can lead to herbicide drift, including:

• Severe Temperatures: Ideal temperatures for herbicide-use range from 65 degrees F to 85 degrees F.
  • High Wind Speeds: Herbicide labels specify optimal wind conditions for application. If a grower goes off-label, their risk of drift increases.
  • Small Droplet Size: Smaller droplets are more likely to be carried away by the wind than larger droplets. Herbicide labels will also specify optimal droplet size to decrease drift.
Herbicides are most effective when applied in high humidity and with wind speeds of about 10 mph or less. Ensure that the application nozzles are on the correct setting to produce optimal droplet size to minimize drift. The position and height of the boom are also listed on the herbicide label. With the boom being closer to the crops, the distance the droplets can travel is reduced.

Volatilization

Volatilization is the movement of herbicide vapors through the air following an herbicide application. Similar to evaporation, volatilization occurs when the herbicide residue changes from a solid or liquid to a gas or vapor. Once vaporized, the vapors can be carried long distances by the wind, possibly damaging surrounding crops as well as causing an ineffective herbicide application.
The risk of volatilization increases when:

• Herbicides are applied to inert, non-absorbent surfaces like rocks or pavement,
  • Temperatures are high,
  • Humidity is severe and
  • Herbicide formulations are potentially volatile.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 76