Founding Member
Founding Member
Is this deer or racoon? 20210817_164720.jpg20210817_164720.jpg

Attachments

20210817_164730.jpg
Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Deer. A coon will peel it down with their paws. What kind of tracks did it leave? LB

flyfisher

Founding Member
Founding Member
Neighbor has a doe and two fawns on his garden thief cameras. I tilled all around the corn patch, but the ground is like powder. Had a racoon in there in the past years but it seemed like he pulled the cobs down.

Bob

Well NoDak, it’s been so darn hot out and we are still planning on making some more videos! This weekend we plan on posting something. I’ll try to upload a couple of pics of my garden.

- - - Updated - - -

1692239078610.png
These are cantaloupe which I have hanging from an old chain link gate. I train the vines to grow up and make sure the cantaloupe drop through the chain link. This way no spots from sitting on the ground or small rodents can get to them.

103EA3EC-BC11-413A-9ECF-8775C7226E98.jpg
Corn and sunflowers! Red flowers are called Canna Lily which are to attract hummingbirds. I had a hummingbird feeder set up but it attracted way to many ants!!5AC6FFEB-426C-48D8-966E-20E399FF9467.jpg[/

Watermelons!! Got lots of them growing.QUOTE]

Attachments

0340FD44-FF45-421A-98C3-DC9418333978.jpg F623D02B-46D3-4FA0-8C3C-5B4B1D31E61B.jpg

Bob

For some reason my cantaloupe pic went away??

- - - Updated - - -

IMG-4625 (2).jpgHere it is!!

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Nice looking garden. There is a trick with hummingbird feeders and keeping ants away, If you hang the feeder with fireline or some tough fishing line, ant's can't climb down to it.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ten days of rain and I have a full blown slug invasion. Today is the first day the sky has been blue for a couple weeks. My potatoes look like someone has been firing 8 shot into them. I go out in the morning and probably kill 50-100 slugs in and around the garden and then walk around the yard and kill another 100. I figured I may as well have fun and ordered one of these bad boys to polish up my shooting form. The couple potato plants I dug up each had about a dozen potatoes. The largest was about tennis ball size and smallest ping pong. I doubt they grow any more than that judging by how the actual plant looks.

Bug-A-Salt All Purpose Indoor/Outdoor Device in the Insect Repellents department at Lowes.com

Bob

Bob...how the hell come I don't see any weeds? My garden never looks like that...

Well, when I plant my started plants I try to keep things far enough apart, (lots of room for me) and I'll rototill around things. After plants get going fairly good I pull and hoe weed for one to two hours every day. My tomato plants are in buckets with the bottoms cut out and for several reasons. One it makes it easy to rototill around them and not hit the plants, (remove wire handles and if you have to ask why you never ran a rototiller from hell before!) so anyways it keeps small critters from getting them and if cold or hail comes it's easy to cover the buckets. Also when I water and mix calcium feed to prevent bottom rot I can pour it in the buckets to get directly to the roots. Whenever I mow my yard I also use my lawn clippings around the buckets to help keep moisture in the ground but I do cheat a bit before I put down my clippings I'll use a good dose of Preen. Make sure plants have a good start before applying Preen, and after my clippings I'll add more Preen on top of clippings. Works great, and I'll rototill everything back in at the end of the season. In one of my up coming videos you'll see also what I do with my corn stalks. My Super 100's tomato plants (cherry tomato) grew to be about 8' tall and I have to keep cutting them down in height because they get so top heavy they can't stand up in the heavy tomato stands even. I'll get some pics of my tomatoes and pepper plants on here in the next day or so.

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Great ideas Bob! Thanks for the tips, and I will be watching for more videos!

wjschmaltz- do you have any chickens or ducks? would they eat the slugs?

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Very nice Bob. That is something to be proud of there. . .

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
Robins do that to corn. Shred the hunk and peck on the kernals.

BotnoJoe

Founding Member
Founding Member
Wow Bob your garden is amazing. This thread gave me inspiration to start my first garden this year (thanks for all the tips/advice on this site). Plan to expand my garden area next year as both the gf and I have really enjoyed it. Thanks NDA!

Bob

Awesome Botno Joe, Hope you have great success next year. I could post tons of info that I have tried and what not to try but one of the easiest things to do is You Tube! Growing up on a farm we didn't have internet and all of the good ways to learn. We relied on what our parents taught us. Might have been right or wrong on some things but it's a learning curve. You made my day! Bob

- - - Updated - - -

IMG-4653.jpgIMG-4670.jpgIMG-4679.jpg

Ok then, here is some more of my garden. Behind the chain link fence are some of my tomatoes, and where I am standing in my garden I have two rows of onions left to harvest, and next to that are my peppers then the tomatoes again. I normally plant only 300 onions but I planted 400 this year and I'm glad I did. Seem tough to get them to grow this year. City water isn't the best to use but this year not much of a choice. There are tricks to growing onions as well, when they start to come up I pull some of the dirt away from them so they grow more out of the ground than in. Also the tops should be bent over when they start to get tall. Reason for this is, if hard soil it prevents them from getting big (removing dirt), and the tops will take away all the nutrition and water from the onion. Also if the tops get real tall the wind will cause the small roots to break which feed the onion. One of the other tricks as you can see are the Canna Lily's I have planted around the garden works as a wind break. Huge leaves on them as well to give good shade and helps keeps moisture in the ground. Have a great weekend all. I'm hoping to get out tomorrow and chase some Salmon! Bob

Bob

Great ideas Bob! Thanks for the tips, and I will be watching for more videos!

wjschmaltz- do you have any chickens or ducks? would they eat the slugs?

No ducks or chickens, I live in town here in Bismarck. Plenty of gophers, rabbits and snakes! Had a huge 5' to 6' bull snake a couple of weekends ago come through! I was dog sitting and that snake wanted a piece of me or the dog! Wasn't happy with us but I leave them alone and my gopher population seem to have gone down! Had some deer come through a while back and now I see that they have been feeding on my squash again so the trail cam goes back up.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Weeds and water go hand in hand. Bob's garden looks great because he puts in the time. I spend a couple of hours every day in the garden. It's easier when you are retired or near to it like me. Working full time is winding down for me. Should be since 70 is right around the corner. Then I can spend way more time gardening.

IMG_3582.jpg

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 109
  • This month: 101
  • This month: 93
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 81
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 74
  • This month: 67