Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I ordered two motion detecting solar powered flood lights but they haven't arrived yet , We will see if they work . If not I'm going to string an electrical cord and figure out some kind of noisemaker that comes on with motion detectors , Maybe some AC/DC with a boom box , I wonder what song would be the scariest ? I still have time, only have corn planted so far and it's not up. The early bird doesn't always get the worm with gardening this far North.
Set a construction radio in the sweet corn patch one year to keep the racoon out and all they did was change the station to country from hard rock.:cool::cool::cool::cool::;:rockit

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
After you guys got your tomatoes growing, do you fertilize them so you don't get that blossom end rot?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Blossom end rot is caused by not enough calcium in the soil. There are a lot of products you can apply to help along with your normal fert. I use what is called Rot-stop. And I fertilize with a simple 10-10-10. maybe 3 times during the growing season.

KEN W

Fertilizer will not stop blossom end rot. The plant cannot get enough calcium. Basically caused by to much water or not enough water. So the plant takes it from the fruit. The best way to stop it is to mulch as soon as you see small tomatoes developing. I use grass clippings or straw.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Watering on a regular basis goes a long way to avoid blossom end rot. I don’t add anything special to the soil but try to water on a schedule. Rarely see blossom end rot.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Does anybody try powdered milk for the tomatoes

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I had lots of end blossom rot when I used aerial watering, went to soaker hose and eliminated it. FYI, my upside down potato seed are 15/20 sprouted, I assume I will lose some growth or yield from my f' up, live and learn.

garden

Founding Member
Founding Member
The only thing I have found that works is electric fence. Buy a good, powerful, solar fence charger if the garden isn't close to power. Use regular steel posts for cattle fence around the garden. Run one wire about 18 inches off the ground and one at the top of a steel post with insulators that are hot. Have another in the middle between those 2 that is grounded to the posts. They will try to push between them and get bit on their legs and neck/back. They respect a hot wire. If you want to speed up their education, wrap some tin foil around the top wire and smear with peanut butter. The will lick it and get educated quick that the fence is not to be challenged. Do the same lower fence to keep raccoons away from corn.

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
How did everyone's garden fare during the storms? I have 10 of the 80 tomato plants snapped from straight line winds - had to be 60 mph plus.....overall have fared alright I guess. Could be worse.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
My tomatoes got pounded pretty good along with onions. Other stuff was a bit more protected. How do they bounce back from hail? I could probably get new ones and plant them, just getting late for me.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Replanting tomatoes and peppers, the ones that took a direct hail hit to the main stalk, on Wednesday. Waiting to see what we get tonight and Tuesday.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Tomatoes may bounce back depending on the damage. Peppers too but sometimes it's just easier to replant. It sucks but not too late to replant. My garden is begging for rain. The grass is going dormant.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here’s my 16 x 16 patch. Just hilled the potatoes and had to spray them, got something chewing holes in the leaves :mad: First year trying the cucumber trellis, hope it works.

277E7132-64A9-4B2B-AC38-B1824492E15D.jpg

Last edited:

MathewsZman

Founding Member
Founding Member
Well here’s my 16 x 16 patch. Just hilled the potatoes and had to spay them, got something chewing holes in the leaves :mad: First year trying the cucumber trellis, hope it works.

61ZmgqNhtbL._AC_SX425_.jpg

Will they reproduce if you "spay" them ? Asking for a friend . ��

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ha ha, that's what happens when you type on a phone. Already fixed it.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Thinking I planted them on the 11th of May. Can’t exactly remember. Here’s what they looked like on May 31st.

527047C5-25C9-451D-AD3A-71DA88F1AABD.jpg
That’s when I planted the rest of the garden.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 76