Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Garden is going to be a lot bigger this year. So its Fishing and Gardening all summer.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Probably lives near Rapid City South Dakota's Banana Belt.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Big difference between central ND and western SD. Way too early here. But I wouldn’t be surprised if my garlic is moving. It’s well insulated in full sun.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
That’s a bold move cotton.

Yes, W SD is much different than up there. My grass is greening up right now. I've put in onions as early as I possibly could the last several years, snow cold whatever doesn't seem to bother them and they get a good start. From the sounds of it they'll be under a few inches of snow later in the week. Spinach is coming in nicely too from the fall plantings!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you want big onions, plant seedlings not sets/bulbs, thell start out smaller, but get much larger.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you want big onions, plant seedlings not sets/bulbs, thell start out smaller, but get much larger.
Its amazing how much bigger the seedlings get. Last year some of my white onions split the outside layer because they grew so fast. Some got bigger than a soft ball and were great for making onion rings. LB

BP338

Founding Member
Founding Member
We're going to do a garden this year. First time in a long time! Hopefully we get it right!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Ok...so I just learned to plant seedlings instead of sets for onions...now tell me the best way to get a big crop of Yukon Gold potatoes...and any other tips you guys have on other veggies!

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member

I agree, they certainly get larger. Sets are easier and do really well in my conditions for whatever reason. If I do my job, I can get sets to be softball size. Not the monsters that seedlings produce, but good size.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I wonder if seeds or seedlings will be in short supply this spring?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
One thing for sure is you want your onions in "full sun" its the length of sunlight that triggers good growth rate. Yellow onions keep better for winter storage, and I do plant both sets and seedlings. Once the bulbs get to 50 cent size I like to thin them out a little. Steam them and put in a cheese sauce is wonderful. Good luck. LB

eyexer

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it too late to seed tomatoes into little pots and get them big enough to transplant yet?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Is it too late to seed tomatoes into little pots and get them big enough to transplant yet?

It all depends on your growing conditions, tomatoes will grow very fast in good conditions. I will wait a couple more weeks before I plant mine. It is time to start peppers and onions tho, if you havent already...

- - - Updated - - -

I wonder if seeds or seedlings will be in short supply this spring?

I store all my seeds in my freezer and use them for years, so I have plenty... You think isolation is going to make people more or less likely to plant gardens?

- - - Updated - - -

Ok...so I just learned to plant seedlings instead of sets for onions...now tell me the best way to get a big crop of Yukon Gold potatoes...and any other tips you guys have on other veggies!

My largest potatoes ever were from 'seeds' I missed when digging the prior fall. I havent experimented much with planting in the fall since that time it happened accidentally, but might be the ticket to getting a jump start on the season. Likely youd need to have them protected with leaves or snow to keep ground from getting too cold...

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Nope still early yet. I started my tomatoes on the 21 of April last year and put in garden the last week of May. Started peppers at the same time.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Should I start cucumbers now or seed in ground

Either works with cucs, if you start them early youll get fruit a little earlier also. I wouldnt start them now, probably 3 weeks before you plan to put them in garden.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
The early bird doesn't always catch the worm. Mid April is plenty early to start tomatoes and peppers. Even if the plants are small they will grow like crazy if the soil is warm. I like to till a couple of weeks before I plant. That way the ground has plenty of time to warm up.
When it comes to planting cucumbers and squash I always just use seed. Personal preference as I haven't seen any great advantage in using plants. If anything the use of row covers really helps if June is cool. Particularly with melons.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75