Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

shorthairman

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Horseradish is a PITA! I had it in my garden and took 3 years to get rid of it. If you leave even just a little bit of the root it will come back. I have a separate area outside my garden that is for Horseradish.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Going to need a show shovel to get to my last potatoes. SHIT SHIT SHIT.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
[h=1]5 DIY Deer Repellent Recipes[/h] Posted by Jennifer Smith on April 28, 2017
diy-repellent-300x200.jpg
Deer are beautiful and graceful creatures, but if they get into your garden, they could destroy all of your hard work. That’s why Deerbusters carries an array of deer repellents and deer sprays for the average gardener to manage risk in the garden.

We know gardeners like to do things themselves; so, we’ve come up with a few DIY all natural repellent recipes for deer management. Most of these deer repellent recipes contain all natural goods such as eggs, garlic, and/or pepper, since deer have been known to not like those smells.
[h=3]Recipe #1:[/h] 3 Tablespoons hot sauce
3 raw eggs
3 Tablespoons of minced garlic
Blend all ingredients together in a blender and add a little bit of water to lessen the thickness. Then, add the mixture to 1 gallon of water and spray around your plants.
[h=3]Recipe #2:[/h] 4 Tablespoons of ground cayenne pepper
1 cup white vinegar
2 cups water
1 cup clear ammonia
3 heads of garlic, peeled
1 cup oil soap
Mix together the cayenne pepper and white vinegar; bring to a boil. Boil for one minute, then strain the mixture through a coffee filter. Blend together garlic and water, then strain the mixture through a second coffee filter. Combine both strained mixtures, ammonia, and oil soap, and add the liquid to 2 1/2 gallons of water. Spray around your plants.
[h=3]Recipe #3:[/h] 1 egg
1/2 cup milk
1 Tablespoon of dish soap
1 Tablespoon of cooking oil
Blend all ingredients together, then add to 1 gallon of water and spray around your plants.
[h=3]Recipe #4:[/h] 1 cup sour cream
1/4 teaspoon liquid dish soap
2 eggs, beaten
1/4 teaspoon cooking oil
20 drops clove oil
Add all ingredients to 1 gallon of water and shake well. Spray around your plants.
[h=3]Recipe #5:[/h] 1 egg yolk
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1 liter of water
Blend all ingredients together and spray around your plants.

snowcat

Founding Member
Founding Member
That should stop them from eating plants, but would it stop bucks from rubbing my pine trees? Checked yesterday and have had 14 more damaged. Couple 3-4 footers dang near bare. Cant fence them, I have three rows of ponderosa pines just under a mile long.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Snowing like a bitch. Wife got stuck three times before she got to our county road. Township has a problem getting someone to plow the township roads. So enough of that I am ordering seeds today to make me feel better.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few acres SE of Bismarck that previously had a fairly large garden garden. Garden plot is about 1-2 acres and has irrigation available. Haven't done the garden thing in many years. Our kids and their fam want to give it a try this spring. Have a little 1025 JD with tiller that should work to prep the soil. looking at starting with basics, veggies, etc. There is also a fenced area that has some fruit trees and couple rows of grapes. We are interested in expanding the grape vines. Any suggestion's / tips would be greatly appreciated. Is Gurney's still the place to go for seed, etc? Have been doing the "u-tube research" but not sure how much of the info is relevant to our climate. Anything less than a complete $hit Show will be considered a success for the first year.
Think Spring / Thanks!

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
Get some crawlers n put them in there. They help airrate the soil. My garden is loaded with them. An added bonus is u can catch them later after they populate n won't have to buy them for ur fishing trips! I have so many in my garden that I sell some to some locals for way less than u can buy them for!

Auggie

Founding Member
Founding Member
We have a few acres SE of Bismarck that previously had a fairly large garden garden. Garden plot is about 1-2 acres and has irrigation available. Haven't done the garden thing in many years. Our kids and their fam want to give it a try this spring. Have a little 1025 JD with tiller that should work to prep the soil. looking at starting with basics, veggies, etc. There is also a fenced area that has some fruit trees and couple rows of grapes. We are interested in expanding the grape vines. Any suggestion's / tips would be greatly appreciated. Is Gurney's still the place to go for seed, etc? Have been doing the "u-tube research" but not sure how much of the info is relevant to our climate. Anything less than a complete $hit Show will be considered a success for the first year.
Think Spring / Thanks!

Soil test your garden for nutrients. When it comes to grapes, look up the North Central Research Extension Center and Carrington Research Extension Center (NDSU). Both REC's have been doing work to evaluate cold hardy grapes for our climate. There is also the North Dakota Wine Growers Association.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got most if the grapes that can handle our climate, u looking for table, wine, or canning? seeds i get from johnnys selected usually...

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
I've got most if the grapes that can handle our climate, u looking for table, wine, or canning? seeds i get from johnnys selected usually...

We made grape jam and Jelly from the grapes that we harvested last fall. It turned out fantastic. Beginners luck most likely. I contacted NDSU Extension Service in Carrington regarding suggestions for expanding the grape vines and have not received a response. Kids and grand kids are excited to work the garden and everyone wants to try to expand the grape vines. Thanks!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
We made grape jam and Jelly from the grapes that we harvested last fall. It turned out fantastic. Beginners luck most likely. I contacted NDSU Extension Service in Carrington regarding suggestions for expanding the grape vines and have not received a response. Kids and grand kids are excited to work the garden and everyone wants to try to expand the grape vines. Thanks!

Ive got Valiant, Bluebell, Swenson Red, Swenson White, Reliance, Vanessa, Marquette, Itasca, La Crescent. Havent had a lot of luck with seedless grapes, but Swenson Red is a nice seeded fresh eating variety, valiant makes good preserves and can also be used for wine. La Crescent is also good eating I think, its very sweet and fruity and the seeds are small and easy to chew up, Swenson red grapes are a lot larger but seeds are big also, better to spit those out.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Ive got Valiant, Bluebell, Swenson Red, Swenson White, Reliance, Vanessa, Marquette, Itasca, La Crescent. Havent had a lot of luck with seedless grapes, but Swenson Red is a nice seeded fresh eating variety, valiant makes good preserves and can also be used for wine. La Crescent is also good eating I think, its very sweet and fruity and the seeds are small and easy to chew up, Swenson red grapes are a lot larger but seeds are big also, better to spit those out.

Lycan,
Wow..lots of varieties! Hopefully we will get there some day.
I believe that our grape vines are Valiant. They were planted by the previous property owner. They turn dark red, small, closed clusters and were great for jam & jelly. We had someone suggest Marquette and Petite Pearl as they may be fairly hardy varieties. Somerset seedless have also been recommended as the seeds are small and they are said to be hardy. Any suggestions on where to purchase vines? Again, the garden and growing grapes will be a new experience - looking forward to playing in the dirt with g kids. Visited with NDSU Extension in Carrington this AM and they suggested Variant, Marquette (for wine), and Crimson Pearl.
Thanks for the info!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan,
Wow..lots of varieties! Hopefully we will get there some day.
I believe that our grape vines are Valiant. They were planted by the previous property owner. They turn dark red, small, closed clusters and were great for jam & jelly. We had someone suggest Marquette and Petite Pearl as they may be fairly hardy varieties. Somerset seedless have also been recommended as the seeds are small and they are said to be hardy. Any suggestions on where to purchase vines? Again, the garden and growing grapes will be a new experience - looking forward to playing in the dirt with g kids. Visited with NDSU Extension in Carrington this AM and they suggested Variant, Marquette (for wine), and Crimson Pearl.
Thanks for the info!
Valiant arent red, they are dark blue, almost black. Its not too hard to propagate your own vines if you are interested. I could also make you a few as long as they arent patented. Im going to be building a few new grape trellises this spring, 3, 200ft long ones, maybe trade some vines for labor... Could be a learning experience also, Im near menoken also... Ive tried sommerset and wasnt able to keep them alive. Havent tried Petite Pearl, I do have someone sending me "king of the north" this spring to try also, but Ive read they can be VERY vigorous and hard to control.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Valiant grapes from 2017
5b2740e240e281bc4dbccaa9b6223c0ee5aa8e70_2_690x459.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Something Ive got going on... Aronia from seed
Taken a few weeks ago
89053447_2642801172665864_2532106670960541696_n.jpg
4 days ago...
79F13545-2138-4377-AABA-411489042A61.jpg

Recent Posts