Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am trying to identify the weeds that are in my garden, does anyone have a good site to compare pictures, googling seems to only find plants that are full grown or from some other part of the world.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am trying to identify the weeds that are in my garden, does anyone have a good site to compare pictures, googling seems to only find plants that are full grown or from some other part of the world.

Phone app ? I went looking for mushrooms this spring and it was an eye opener, I saw so many plants/weeds that I had never noticed before and want to learn more about which ones are edible. First I need to learn about phone apps.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Taters are blooming, been picking flowers off some to my tomato plants (don't want them flowering yet) trimming bottom leaves off tomato plants so they don't touch ground, onions are starting to plump up, carrots are about 4" tall, cukes are ready to start vineing along with muskmelon, water melon and squash. Peppers and sweetcorn are about 12" tall. Beans are doing better if the dam wind would just quit for awhile. Planting second crop beans and carrots next week. Been murdering a lot of weeds seams like a never ending job.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
finally getting some rain, but I don't think it has been much of an amount yet, fingers crossed... I will take credit for watering yesterday afternoon. I don't track the rain, but this year, had 2 events, 1/10th and then 2/10ths since spring.

I tried NDSU site of some sort, didn't see what I was looking for, mainly garden weeds that are just past emerging in SW ND.

Remove blooms, eh? and leaves, good to know, although I think mine will be late as I got a frost set back the night they went in the ground.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
finally getting some rain, but I don't think it has been much of an amount yet, fingers crossed... I will take credit for watering yesterday afternoon. I don't track the rain, but this year, had 2 events, 1/10th and then 2/10ths since spring.

I tried NDSU site of some sort, didn't see what I was looking for, mainly garden weeds that are just past emerging in SW ND.

Remove blooms, eh? and leaves, good to know, although I think mine will be late as I got a frost set back the night they went in the ground.
If you pick off the early flowers the plant will grow more instead of putting energy into the first fruit and if you keep the leaves off the ground it helps with not getting leaf blight and if you have to water, water the soil around the plant and not the plant it self. Dry tomato leaves don't pass on bad things.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you pick off the early flowers the plant will grow more instead of putting energy into the first fruit and if you keep the leaves off the ground it helps with not getting leaf blight and if you have to water, water the soil around the plant and not the plant it self. Dry tomato leaves don't pass on bad things.

thanks, did some detail work today, I think we need some warm weather.

- - - Updated - - -

Worm, try using https://www.plantsnap.com
Might be of help.

I will try that

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Gonna be a big cherry year if I can keep swd away from them...
105562279_3382576038459098_6144046937693773084_o.jpg

Stawberries coming in hot and heavy...
106200820_3391465727570129_3612436812675948676_o.jpg

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Heat and not a lot of rain aren't helping me. For some reason my city water does not do much for my garden. It obviously helps some but my yard is looking rough too with lots of water. Pretty common thing. Less mowing I guess, but the garden is looking pretty weak!

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan - do you put nets or anything over the strawberries to keep critters from eating them? I have something that steals them about the time they're ready to pick....had one disappear today that I should've picked this morning. Ours is more of a hobby/treat right now, nowhere near the bounty you have so having one disappear is like taking one of your containers away haha!

Nice haul!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan - do you put nets or anything over the strawberries to keep critters from eating them? I have something that steals them about the time they're ready to pick....had one disappear today that I should've picked this morning. Ours is more of a hobby/treat right now, nowhere near the bounty you have so having one disappear is like taking one of your containers away haha!

Nice haul!

I built a box around them using 2x12 boards and have a net over the top, works pretty well. I do have some issues with slugs, need to remember to put down some slug bait this weekend, they will eat small holes in the ripe berries, net pretty much keeps birds away tho, which are my main predator.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Had our first meal out of this years garden, Raw fried potatoes and onions with olive oil, when tender added container of last years sweet corn to warm up. One fatter cat when done. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I built a box around them using 2x12 boards and have a net over the top, works pretty well. I do have some issues with slugs, need to remember to put down some slug bait this weekend, they will eat small holes in the ripe berries, net pretty much keeps birds away tho, which are my main predator.

One of these days I am going to do the same. I'm thinking a chicken wire lid would be the ticket. That would also help hold the straw over the winter.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My main predator was a granddaughter. She would even mark where a strawberry was getting ripe with those little wire stakes with the orange flag. Birds never beat her to the ripe ones, I think the flag scared them away. LB

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
One of these days I am going to do the same. I'm thinking a chicken wire lid would be the ticket. That would also help hold the straw over the winter.

chicken wire or hardware mesh would be ideal imo, I havent gotten around to building a cover yet but I should...

CatDaddy

Founding Member
Founding Member

Thanks lycanwhogrowsberrieslikeamadman!

espringers

Founding Member
Founding Member
ours are in a box with a chicken wire lid on hinges tied with rope to the main box so when you open it it stays open upright a bit past 90 degrees or so.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Catdaddy, Sounds like a chipmunk or striped gopher . We have had both rob berries from us in the past Then we got a cat. Now yellow jackets in the late summer are our worst predators . They love strawberries.

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our cherry trees appear to be doing great this year. Have Carmine Jewel and Evans Bali. Any suggestions on what to do with large quantities of cherries? Made some cherry syrup and cordial last year and looking for ideas on how to use them this year. Thanks!

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 119
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 83
  • This month: 76
  • This month: 75