Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Our cherry trees appear to be doing great this year. Have Carmine Jewel and Evans Bali. Any suggestions on what to do with large quantities of cherries? Made some cherry syrup and cordial last year and looking for ideas on how to use them this year. Thanks!

Have you been spraying for SWD? Here are some of mine last week....
juliet
107258701_3422082181175150_5036749868497472502_o.jpg
Evans
107055284_3422083331175035_4042851813571214385_o.jpg
107104124_3422084204508281_1477170682638742766_o.jpg

Wirehair

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have not. Always impressed with your pics and information Lycan!! We are excited to see cherries and grapes doing better this year than past years. Any suggestions on adding any fertilizer this time of year? Looks like you have done a better job in pruning than we have. Our cherry trees may need a little thinning out come fall. Thanks for the info / suggestion!

mikef

★★★ Legendary Member
My corn plants are about 4” apart. Should I thin those out. Water is not a problem. Thx

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
You need to be at least 8" to a foot to get enough sunlight and remember to take the suckers off (extra stalks that grow off the base) cause they will restrict the growth of nice ears.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cucumber plants look like shit this year. The plants already have some of their first leaves turning white (I don't water with a sprinkler, I water by laying the hose in the indentation I make around the plant) then the leaves turn brown and die, the leaves farther down the vine are fine. Guessing its powdery or downy mildew. Anyone spray fungicide on your garden? I know once the leaf is infected the fungicide won't help that leaf but is will help the new leaves that emerge.

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cucumber plants look like shit this year. The plants already have some of their first leaves turning white (I don't water with a sprinkler, I water by laying the hose in the indentation I make around the plant) then the leaves turn brown and die, the leaves farther down the vine are fine. Guessing its powdery or downy mildew. Anyone spray fungicide on your garden? I know once the leaf is infected the fungicide won't help that leaf but is will help the new leaves that emerge.

My cucumbers have a 2020 flair, straight up and look like dill, almost 3' tall. F'n seed companies. :;:huh

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
You need to be at least 8" to a foot to get enough sunlight and remember to take the suckers off (extra stalks that grow off the base) cause they will restrict the growth of nice ears.

First I ever heard of this trick but it makes sense . Can you do it at any stage of growth ? Just walk along with a shears and clip clip clip ?

- - - Updated - - -

My cucumbers have a 2020 flair, straight up and look like dill, almost 3' tall. F'n seed companies. :;:huh

You might be onto somthin. I'm still trying to learn mine to climb but they don't seem to be natural born vertical climbers. Every year is the same up here with cukes , You get a good taste and then jack frost bites them so I tried putting mine on wheels this year so I can pull them inside during the early frosts .

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking I planted them on the 11th of May. Can’t exactly remember. Here’s what they looked like on May 31st.

View attachment 55045
That’s when I planted the rest of the garden.

How many times a year do you hill your spuds ?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I knocked the suckers off when they are about a foot tall or they will come back later. Did my white sweet corn about 10 days ago. Silver Queen sweet corn is what we plant and it will develope a lot of suckers. Just want to get rid of them before the corn starts to tassel so that growth goes into ears and not the stalk. While doing this I get really nice ears and sometimes 2 ears per stalk. LB

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Davey, I hill mine once, when the plant gets 8 to 10 inches tall and put a pretty good mound of dirt around them. If I see potatoes popping out of the dirt after awhile, I will just toss dirt right on the potatoe that's sticking out.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
3rd year in a row, my corn tassled out again about 3' high.
Cucumbers are terrible this year

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Oh dang , What are they ? I don't think I can ever remember having any trouble with potatoes. I know that crop loss feeling though. Neighbors cows cleaned us out one year , This year a different neighbor had a Llama running loose and The bugger ate all the tops off the whole row of beets so hoping for the best.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Garden aphids, also known as plant lice, include many different species in the Aphidoidea insect family. Aphids are very small–roughly 1/10th of an inch long. Their most common colors are green and black, though brown, reddish-brown, and gray aphids inhabit some parts of the country.1Aphids in home yards and gardens. University of Minnesota Extension

They have two long tubular appendages on the tail end of their bodies.

Signs of Aphid Infestation Aphids suck the sap out of tender plant's shoots and leaves using beak-like mouths, injecting the leaves with their saliva as they do so. The damage to plants is twofold: drinking the sap can weaken the plant and injecting the saliva can spread diseases from plant to plant. In addition, aphids excrete a sticky, clear substance called "honeydew" which commonly fosters the development sooty mold. Sooty mold is unsightly and interferes with the plant's ability to photosynthesize.

Because aphids are so tiny, sometimes the first sign that massive infestation is pending is the sign of many ants on your plants. The honeydew secretion is a much-prized food for ants, so when you see many ants on plants, there is a very good likelihood that aphids are also present.

wslayer

Founding Member
Founding Member
BIL in Bismarck said their potatoes got taken over by the bugs. Spray Sevin on them . May kill them, it is good for 100's of insects

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We had aphids on the Brussel sprouts early on and sevin took care of them fast. Also tinkering with a couple pollinator plots and noticed a lot of dragonflies on the flowers so I googled why they would be in there and I guess they are in there eating aphids. I just looked at it now and yep, There are ants crawling on the flowers too. And flies . For sure we will continue to go bigger with pollinators, The wife and the hummingbirds and bees are happy with them.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
  • Try spraying cold water on the leaves; sometimes all aphids need is a cool blast to dislodge them. Typically they are unable to find their way back to the same plant.
  • If you have a large aphid invasion, dust plants with flour. It constipates the pests.
  • Neem oil, insecticidal soaps, and horticultural oils are effective against aphids. Be sure to follow the application instructions provided on the packaging.
  • You can often get rid of aphids by wiping or spraying the leaves of the plant with a mild solution of water and a few drops of dish soap. Soapy water should be reapplied every 2-3 days for 2 weeks.
  • One variation of this soap-water mix includes cayenne pepper: Stir together 1 quart water, 1 tsp liquid dish soap, and a pinch of cayenne pepper. Do not dilute before spraying on plants.
  • Diatomaceous earth (DE) is a non-toxic, organic material that will kill aphids. Do not apply DE when plants are in bloom; it is harmful to pollinators, too.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
I sprayed them with this because I had a quart at home.

web_talstar-11110555.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
My cukes cannot keep up with my sales. Picked over a hundred this week and they are all gone. I grow those long burpless for slicing in salads or eating just by them self with a salad dressing. I take all the goofy shaped ones and make refridgerator pickles out of them and sell buy the qt. Sold out this morning on those too, wife took the last of what I had to work for delivery to co-workers. Keeps me busy. LB

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
My cukes cannot keep up with my sales. Picked over a hundred this week and they are all gone. I grow those long burpless for slicing in salads or eating just by them self with a salad dressing. I take all the goofy shaped ones and make refridgerator pickles out of them and sell buy the qt. Sold out this morning on those too, wife took the last of what I had to work for delivery to co-workers. Keeps me busy. LB

You must be really busy. In another year or so I should be able to expand and work in the garden as much as I want. Which would be every day except for fishing! Busy is good.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77