Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
If you got a smaller garden drip would be great. When you got thousands of sq ft I cannot afford to spend that much. I do find it relaxing to sit in a lawn chair and water with a spray nozzel on my raised beds. Have the elevated putt-putt sprinklers for the large areas like sweetcorn and potatoes.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
If you got a smaller garden drip would be great. When you got thousands of sq ft I cannot afford to spend that much. I do find it relaxing to sit in a lawn chair and water with a spray nozzel on my raised beds. Have the elevated putt-putt sprinklers for the large areas like sweetcorn and potatoes.

My garden is about 30x50 and it works well, not sure if you could go much larger than that without having to set up multiple zones tho...

ndbwhunter

Founding Member
Founding Member
Capture.JPG

Would something like this work with the 1/4" line? What are the solid green lines on your diagram?

Last edited:

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Screen Shot 2020-04-20 at 9.00.38 AM.jpg

Would something like this work with the 1/4" line? What are the solid green lines on your diagram?

Green lines are just the outside of the garden, spray paint is plants, you can use a single drip line as long as the length isnt too long. If you go too long youll lose pressure towards the end and it wont water evenly. I typically water around 5am when its relatively cool outside and gives plenty of time for the water to soak in before sun gets too intense and evaporation kick in.

gr8outdoors

Founding Member
Founding Member
If it was up to me, and not the wife, I'd put another garage on part of my garden. The bride , however, does not agree with this!;:;banghead My garden is about 65'x15' and I like having it, but hate the weeding part.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Powdery mildew. Yes

My garden is 30 plus feet wide and over 70. Feet long. So I run 2 hoses all the time with 25 foot soaker hoses. Plus I hand water tomatoes and vines. At one time I had 360 feet of rows. But that's decreased with 9 raised beds.
I water heavy once a week unless it's super hot and dry. Due to the fact that I also have flowers all around my house and several other flower areas, I water daily . Keeps me busy.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Has anyone tinkered with flaming ? It works good for weeds in open areas but planted rows are always the problem . wondering how it would work for killing weed seeds in the rows before you plant. I'm thinking like a long eavestrough or something where you put a torch in and heat up the ground hot enough and long enough to kill seeds in the top 3'' of dirt before you plant. Science is there to prove it works just the method is lacking. :;:huh

I tried with open flame and there was only a slight noticeable difference

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Started my watermelon, muskmelon, tomatoes and peppers yesterday. Carrots, radish, potatoes and peas going in the ground this week. Tiller is serviced and ready to dig. Going to feel great to get dirt under my finger nails again.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Started my watermelon, muskmelon, tomatoes and peppers yesterday. Carrots, radish, potatoes and peas going in the ground this week. Tiller is serviced and ready to dig. Going to feel great to get dirt under my finger nails again.
Onions started late this year, just coming through...
57870579_2445541038829274_5463036952691343360_o.jpg

BrewCrew

★★★★ Legendary Member
Just paid up our dues to Bill Erbes Farm CSA - awesome selection of veggies early and herbs in pots to set on the window sill and use as I cook. No time for a garden - maybe when I retire in 5 years.......the amount of produce he gives each week is phenomenal and the variety is exceptional. We would need a garden of many acres to get what they provide each week.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Beings I'm working 12 to 16 hour days anyone interested in tilling my 16x16 garden?? :;:huh

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
so is anyone putting out the cold intolerant plants yet like squash pumpkins and the like? Forecast looks plenty good at least down here in Bismarck still makes me a little nervous though.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
The big push starts next week for me. Taters and onions and carrots been in for awhile. Maters, peppers, beans , peas and some Sweet corn going in the ground after the 24th of May Takes me a week to 10 days to get every thing ready. Tilled, fertilized and such.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I too have been working on the garden just getting it ready. Potatoes and onions are planted. I got all the rows tilled today. Tomorrow the raised beds get prepped. I would like to start planting soon but rain may put a hold on that. The ground is fairly wet so if it rains this weekend tilling would be tough.

As usual I'm not in a big hurry to plant. Tomatoes and peppers grow real well in a greenhouse for now.

Flatrock

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good portion of my garden is in now. Normally I'd wait a bit but the forecast looks good...

Anybody grow strawberries? I planted some last year and they seem to be doing good so far this year. Here's my question: Do you have to worry about rabbits or birds eating the berries once they ripen up? I would assume you do... What is the best way to protect them?

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
A good portion of my garden is in now. Normally I'd wait a bit but the forecast looks good...

Anybody grow strawberries? I planted some last year and they seem to be doing good so far this year. Here's my question: Do you have to worry about rabbits or birds eating the berries once they ripen up? I would assume you do... What is the best way to protect them?

Netting. I built a 1ft wall around mine using 2x12 and will put netting over the top.

STEEL WOOL

Founding Member
Founding Member
It may be a dumb question but where does one get netting . I have grape vines on my fence and the birds always beat me to the grapes when they're ripe.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I got some from Gurneys. Any bigger seed companys should carry it.

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 169
  • This month: 137
  • This month: 122
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 107
  • This month: 89
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 79
  • This month: 77