Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Question for the farmers on here. I have noticed fields of shorter sunflowers with large heads, and I would like to find some seeds for such. I have planted the giant sunflowers but they get to tall and then the wind will tip them over in my sandy soil. Any help? LB

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Joy oh Joy my potatoes that I planted the day before surgery are popping through. Looks like most of the 400 hills made it. Will start planting my onion plants this afternoon. Have 300 super sweet and 300 Patterson to get in the ground. Tomato set and peppers are going in my raised beds next week after Monday. Monday should be the last chance of frost I hope. Happy gardening my friends. LB

Twitch

Founding Member
Founding Member
Put in my potatoes,onions, and first row of radishes yesterday. Little late on the taters but our weather has sucked. The rest will go in next week because if we get frost after that it was meant to be and I may move to Florida like wags;:;rofl

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Joy oh Joy my potatoes that I planted the day before surgery are popping through. Looks like most of the 400 hills made it. Will start planting my onion plants this afternoon. Have 300 super sweet and 300 Patterson to get in the ground. Tomato set and peppers are going in my raised beds next week after Monday. Monday should be the last chance of frost I hope. Happy gardening my friends. LB

Have you planted the Patterson onions before? They were the only long term keepers I could find. I'm tired of buying old onions at the grocery store.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have you planted the Patterson onions before? They were the only long term keepers I could find. I'm tired of buying old onions at the grocery store.
Patterson will keep longer than any other that I have tried. The super sweet are great for fresh eating and making onion rings, they get soft ball size by fall. I plant about 6" apart then tin out for fresh steamed onions and kabobs buy 4th of July. Sell a lot of fresh baby red potato and little sweet onions for 4th of July BBQ.

KDM

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for the farmers on here. I have noticed fields of shorter sunflowers with large heads, and I would like to find some seeds for such. I have planted the giant sunflowers but they get to tall and then the wind will tip them over in my sandy soil. Any help? LB

I'll sniff around Valley here and find out what variety you would want, then find out if anyone has a bin of that variety and try to get you a bucketful. I'll let you know what I find out.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Was able to find a handfull of seed where the plant only gets 3' tall and has 18" heads just what I was lookng for. Thanks anyway KDM, see you next week. LB

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Was able to find a handfull of seed where the plant only gets 3' tall and has 18" heads just what I was lookng for. Thanks anyway KDM, see you next week. LB

With your oilseed varieties, many can grow large heads. But it all depends on your planted population. Most of the guys I know down here push for a higher population as they say that means smaller, faster drying heads. A lower population usually results in larger heads, or so they say. My dad always tries to grow big field flowers and has the same problem you do. That variety sounds good, what is it by chance?

Frost coming this weekend here. Glad I don't have much but the early season stuff in. Have a real nice stand of salad greens going, hope they make it through!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Its a heialoom seed sold by baker creek heialoom seeds called short stuff. I dont think it is sold as a big field farm seed as its 3.00 for 15 seeds. I use the sunflowere for garden boarders an to feed the birds through the winter along with a few squirrels. Bought 3 packs to try along with some of the large tall seeds I have left from last year. Last year I seen a few fields of 5 ft tall, large head sunflowers on the way to visit my sister at Cooperstown should have stopped a swiped a few heads. Pretty sure it is not an oil variety, more so to a food variety. LB

- - - Updated - - -

One more snowstorm wouldn't surprise me .
I have an old Lariet laying around somewhere that I might use one more time.:;: LB

GSM

Founding Member
Founding Member
I am forgoing the garden plot this year to stay super focused on finishing off the inside of my shop. My question is, should I just leave the plot as bare dirt or plant some type of something to deter weeds and hold soil? If so, what should I plant, I'm in the Fargo area.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
Plant annual rye grass. Its a soil builder and keeps the weeds down.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Extended the garden by 100 sqft this year and added a couple 2x8 planters next to the green house specifically for strawberries. Tomatoes in the green house are well over 18 inches tall and all my starts are ready to go in the ground. Been waiting over a week to pick up a couple yards of garden soil at the local garden center. Compost piles are all still frozen so no one has any topsoil/compost mix. hopefully they can get compost soon and I can get things moving on the garden by the weekend!

With fuel prices over $5/gal and a newborn at the house, we won't be taking nearly as many fishing trips this summer so going to try to put some more time into a larger garden and really get some trophy veggies going!

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
That Alaska gardening is crazy great. Wish I could do that here, LB

wstnodak

Founding Member
Founding Member
I'm in the market for a good utility trailer to pull behind an atv for yard work. Anyone here have something they couldn't do without? Would like it to be fairly durable so I could use it for getting firewood as well. Thanks

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
All this rain in the eastern part of state is making it hard to get my garden in before I start radiation treatment next week. SUCKS LB.

wjschmaltz

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We have the opposite of ND this spring. These 80 degree days with our angle of the sun feel into the 90s. The tomatoes are loving it, but it’s so hot we need to keep the greenhouse door open! Strawberries, raspberries, and apples all have flowers already. Finally got the actual garden in last week and just waiting now.

We spent Sunday cleaning up the flower bed and area by my daughter’s columbarium. REMINDER TO SUPPORT SMALL BUSINESS - we were at the local garden center on Saturday picking out plants for the cemetery and the owner caught wind of why we were purchasing stuff. The place was packed and she came over and helped us get everything picked out. When we were done, she insisted on skipping the register and loading us up. Probably $250-$300 worth of stuff. Not that we expect something like that or that anyone should or would go expecting free stuff, but to a small business you are a person and not just $$$.
D6C5B1AC-8CF8-4902-A282-EF7F38A53345.jpg
Winter time view pic 66A17CF8-0F8C-40E7-8CE0-CB58E4ADDE52.jpg

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 136
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87