Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
For you guys that grow zucchini and are sick of zucchini bread. These are very good. The dill can be substituted with dried dill weed. 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon per pint.

IMG_8321.jpg

mahome on brady.jpg

Looks good. I may have to try this. This may be a canning week with all the rain.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Wife and I are canning sweetcorn today. 2 weeks late. Weather was to cool for maturing. Got 320 ears in the back of the wifes Ranger pickup that I picked late yesterday an now the fun begins.:;:help

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
I believe the problem is related to moisture. Dry early and then too much moisture. Which is highly possible this year.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Just going to throw this out here. Does anyone have any Haralson apples they would like to get rid of. Not for deer baiting but for making apple pies.

Last edited:

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Picked a few jalapeños last night. This is form 6 plants.
A0963014-64A5-4B90-AC49-9201965029F7.jpg

I wished I would of kept a cucumber count as I’m guessing we were over 600 cucumbers off of 4 hills.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Picked a few jalapeños last night. This is form 6 plants.
20210228_212438_capture.jpg

I wished I would of kept a cucumber count as I’m guessing we were over 600 cucumbers off of 4 hills.
That's a lot of sore butt peppers.:::

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
Dug potatoes this evening. Shit didn’t quite make 2 pounds!��

78ED9484-E500-4F5C-84B4-004CB40D9128.jpg

dean nelson

Founding Member
Founding Member
Question for the brain trust. Planted a few sunflowers late this spring and they are now just starting to bloom. What are the odds that can get their seeds developed before a freeze gets them.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Depends on head size. My giant sunflower heads get quite large, somewhere around 18" across and that takes awhile. The birds have been enjoying picking the seeds even though they are still white. Robins must be headed south because I got about 20 of them hopping around the lawn this morning.

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
It has been a crazy year for the gardens. 4 Big Beef tomato plants had over 80 tennis ball sized tomatoes. 4 times the potatoes as usual and over 100 cucumbers. I have never had luck with cucumbers, maybe 10 in a year.I gave them away as I really don't like them.

The old folks at Marrilac Manor really like me. Retirement homes are a good place to donate extra produce.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
my taters gonna be small this year, didnt plant them till mid june, not gonna win any contests this year IM affraid... Jeepers Creepers, whered you get those peppers?

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
It has been a crazy year for the gardens. 4 Big Beef tomato plants had over 80 tennis ball sized tomatoes. 4 times the potatoes as usual and over 100 cucumbers. I have never had luck with cucumbers, maybe 10 in a year.I gave them away as I really don't like them.

The old folks at Marrilac Manor really like me. Retirement homes are a good place to donate extra produce.
Came to the point that I sell enough to pay for seed and other expences. Then I can what we need then donate whats left, and yes those little old ladies at the retirement homes really like garden fresh veggies. One place even made the wife a patch work quilt for Christmas one year as a thankyou.

Lycanthrope

Founding Member
Founding Member
Lycan, tell me more about those grapes. Swenson???

Swenson Red (Minnesota #78 x Seibel 11803). The first grape released from Elmer Swenson's grape breeding work and my personal favorite. The unique, fruity flavor of this firm, meaty grape is like no other. Only grapes with muscat flavor usually tie it in tastings. While it is generally red, it may have blue in the color where nights are cool, and it can even be green in color when grown where nights are hot. The sugar goes over 21oB, and some winemakers have produced a good white or rose wine with it. The vine may have rather low vigor in its early years, but it increases in vigor and productivity as it becomes well established. On some of the clusters, flowers in the center section may fail to set, making the mature cluster dumbbell-shaped. Heavy dew or fog may interfere with set. Training the cordons high, at least 4 to 5 feet above the ground, helps keep the flower clusters out of the cool, most air near the ground that interferes with set. Hardy to -30oF. Few major disease problems, except that it is susceptible to downy mildew.

tikkalover

Founding Member
Founding Member
my taters gonna be small this year, didnt plant them till mid june, not gonna win any contests this year IM affraid... Jeepers Creepers, whered you get those peppers?

I asked the person that purchases our plants for the garden. She buys them from Lowes Garden Center. I asked her what variety they are and her reply was "They are just green jalapenos, they have 2 kinds green and red". :;:huh

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 133
  • This month: 114
  • This month: 108
  • This month: 102
  • This month: 86
  • This month: 82
  • This month: 75