Garden!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
;:;boozer wish I had cucumbers this year, for some bizarre reason all my plants turned to dill, f'n carole baskins

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I just love working in my garden. There is something about taking that little seed and growing it into a life giving plant. Amazing all that is packed into that seed. Like my tomatoes, started in house, set outside when weather is right, good soil and water and the good Lords blessing and now they are 5' high and sporting a great amount to green fruit that will ripen to red goodness. Now a the wait to red. Then some sour dough toast, good bacon and mayo, nice slab of garden redness and I am in heaven if only for a little while at a time. I only sell until my expence's are covered then its give away time to family and friends once my freezers are set until next year. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
We are 2-3 weeks behind , We still see snow piles in the yard when some of you are already planting. We have good tasting lettuce this year , It's sweet with zero bitterness Finally getting some eater cucumbers to go with it and full of peas already. Green beans are almost ready to start producing. 30 miles to the SW someone we talked to picked two ripe tomatoes 3 weeks ago.

What produce do you guys have good luck freezing ? Looking to expand on that.

- - - Updated - - -

Hardly any weeds this year and I wish I knew why so I could duplicate it.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
We freeze corn two ways, creamed and regular, tomatoes to use in soup and hotdishs, onions and green peppers for cooking. Squash, cooked and scraped out of shell as I call it. Green beans, going to try pickling some beets this year. Wife likes them.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What's your opinion on Miracle grow ? I tinker with a little of everything to see what works best and it's working well for me. I use it with grow bags and in the dirt . I watered and sprayed it on some wild raspberries back in the bush and they came alive and are producing nice berries but the birds are piking them off faster than me.

- - - Updated - - -

Hey Wormwiggler , Did your seeds come from China ? I only have one zucchini plant because that's usually all we need but it's doing the same thing. Tall and the fruit gets some sort of rot when they are small.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I tried some Miracle grow this year on some tomato plants and regular 10-10-10 on the rest. Dont see much diffrence and 10-10-10 is a lot cheaper to use. My sweetcorn is starting to tassel so I am side dressing with 10-10-10 today before it rains. Gives it that little push when making ears. Picked my first tomatoes yesterday Early girl and 4th of July small but real tomato flavor. BLT for breakfast Sat. Morning. Yummy. LB

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hey Wormwiggler , Did your seeds come from China ? I only have one zucchini plant because that's usually all we need but it's doing the same thing. Tall and the fruit gets some sort of rot when they are small.[/QUOTE]

Runnings, but no idea where the seeds originated. Could have been left over seeds from prior years, my record keeping is dismal. It is possible I looked at the picture on the packet and seen cucumbers when the package was for dill. Oh well,live and learn. My zucchini are not producing so well, one plant is a tiger striped version. I really need to research seeds better.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys plant for early tomato varieties? My Roma's I know aren't early producers, but my neighbor has 100% ripe tomatoes right now. He has NO IDEA what he bought LOL. Mostly interested in paste type tomatoes. Just curious.

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
What do you guys plant for early tomato varieties? My Roma's I know aren't early producers, but my neighbor has 100% ripe tomatoes right now. He has NO IDEA what he bought LOL. Mostly interested in paste type tomatoes. Just curious.

LBrandt was eating Early girl and 4th of July in July. I have a few varieties but still nothing even close to ripe. Going to try those two next year.

I've been tinkering with pollinator plots in the yard and have an abundance of pollinators and other hard working beneficial bugs this year. Some of the ones I disliked the most in the past are the hardest workers. Bald face hornets and wasps and even ants are so interested and busy with the pollen and small insects on the flowers that they totally keep to themselves and don't bother humans or invade our territory. Our garden has never looked better, They are in competition for every bit of pollen they can get and the garden shows it . The plots also keep them away from the hummingbird feeders and strawberries. Another plus is the humming bird feeders are only swarming with birds early in the morning and late in the evening . If you hang hummingbird feeders, Next time you are out walking late in the fall and see a wasp nest on a tree branch bring it home branch and all and hang it next to your humming bird feeder the next summer. Wife hung my prize wasp nest under the sofit of our house about 3 feet away from two feeders and presto, No more wasps at the hummingbird bird feeders. We will see what happens this fall when the flowers quit blooming and dry up but it's been a win win so far.

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
Have had good luck with the cucumbers, starting to give away some, but i am done with trying to grow tomatoes in 5 gal buckets, what a waste of time that was

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Have had good luck with the cucumbers, starting to give away some, but i am done with trying to grow tomatoes in 5 gal buckets, what a waste of time that was

Buckets don't work very well, the roots don't get enough O2 . I'll post some pics later but I grow most of our tomatoes in 3 gallon grow bags in a small plastic swimming pool. Almost zero maintenance and I'm able to pull them inside the garage overnight if we get an early frost . We have oodles of room to plant in the dirt but I'm partial to grow bags for quite a few reasons.

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I have 25 18 gal black tubs that I buy from Menards that I use for some of my tomato and green peppers. 3 tomato plants or 4 pepper plants per tub works just fine. Trimed up my tomato plants the last few days so sunlight can get to all the fruit so ripening will be equal. The people that buy from me for canning and salsa making are chomping at the bit for this years crop. Been selling green beans, carrots, onions , cukes, bell peppers and potato for three weeks now. Also cherry tomato and 4th of July and early girl tomato for just munching and salads. Sweet corn is setting ears so coon fence will have to go up this weekend because I see tracks in the garden. First crop green beans will have one more picking then the lawn mower comes into play. Second and third crop beans are doing well and fall carrots are like a green carpet. Been a busy year and I am sure looking forward for some Sept and Oct fishing to refill my wally supply. LB

AR-15

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I know one thing, I will be growing cabbage next year, a friend gave a head and I made sauerkraut, that home grown made some dam good kraut

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
Hit sent too early , #mealsonwheels Picture heavy.

tomatoe.jpg

I'll roll them in the garage during hail or early frost

cukes.jpg

My motion activated scarecrow was doing good till last night when the batteries went dead .
carrots.jpg

Those are supposed to look like carrots.

melon.jpg

Might get a taste of melon

hopps.jpg

Might try making beer

Cukes2.jpg

Frost and deer get us up here so portable works for me .

- - - Updated - - -

My tomatoes and cucumber plants in the ground are small but they are producing. The wind beat them up early and set them back and now they have dried leaves from the wind and heat , The ones in grow bags are doing better.

We had a stray Llama eat all our beets , Then these climbing beans grabbed ahold and choked out some sunflowers and it resembles a Llama . Only in 2020

Llama.jpg

Last edited:

LBrandt

★★★★★ Legendary Member
I found out this year that deer will not step on plastic. I had some old plastic tarps from my drywall business and I staked some down then put old tires with garden soil in the and grew cukes in them. Watched a doe with fawns walk all around but would not set foot on the tarp. Who knew. LB

Davey Crockett

Founding Member
Founding Member
I found out this year that deer will not step on plastic. I had some old plastic tarps from my drywall business and I staked some down then put old tires with garden soil in the and grew cukes in them. Watched a doe with fawns walk all around but would not set foot on the tarp. Who knew. LB

I will put that to the test for sure. I hope it works up here. I have a bunch of it too and I was thinking about laying it out on burms to kill weeds and direct water to the plants. I was thinking I'd have to fence it in.

- - - Updated - - -

FWIW that climbing bean is an untouched pure act of nature , I'm thinking of sculpturing it . All I see is Llama every time I look at it.

Traxion

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blossom end rot on tomatoes? Too much water early? Too much water period? My early setters have end rot. My watering isn't great, lawn sprinklers catch them. Any thoughts?

BDub

Founding Member
Founding Member
[FONT=&quot] The occurrence of the disease is dependent upon a number of environmental conditions, especially those that affect the supply of water and calcium in the developing fruits. Factors that influence the uptake of water and calcium by the plant have an effect on the incidence and severity of blossom end rot. The disease is especially prevalent when rapidly growing, succulent plants are exposed suddenly to a period of drought. When the roots fail to obtain sufficient water and calcium to be transported up to the rapidly developing fruits, the latter become rotted on their basal ends. Another common predisposing factor is cultivation too close to the plant; this practice destroys valuable roots, which take up water and minerals. Tomatoes planted in cold, heavy soils often have poorly developed root systems. Since they are unable to supply adequate amounts of water and nutrients to plants during times of stress, blossom end rot may result. Soils that contain excessive amounts of soluble salts may predispose tomatoes to the disease, for the availability of calcium to the plants decreases rapidly as total salts in the soil increase.

The bottom line is watering is the cause. I try to water on a regular basis but this summer with no rain and high temps it has been circus. Three varieties of Romas are all having problems. I am raising Pink Berkley Tie-Dyes and Mariannas Peace for eating. Neither have any problems. The Berkley tomatoes look really good. They may become a preferred variety. [/FONT]

WormWiggler

Founding Member
Founding Member
Blossom end rot on tomatoes? Too much water early? Too much water period? My early setters have end rot. My watering isn't great, lawn sprinklers catch them. Any thoughts?

I got rid of that by switching from aerial watering to ground water. i also read that it is best to water heavier every 2-3 days vs. every day, but I don't know if that holds up....

Recent Posts

Friends of NDA

Top Posters of the Month

• This month: 159
  • This month: 135
  • This month: 120
  • This month: 110
  • This month: 105
  • This month: 87
  • This month: 84
  • This month: 77
  • This month: 76